MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
important question regarding not high enough marks kuruczpa Academics 21 09-13-2010 02:56 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Retaking a course in high school Relyt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-15-2010 08:14 PM
Help with High School Math Kira Academics 6 01-21-2010 07:06 PM
what high school did you go to? lorend Academics 48 08-30-2008 10:33 PM

High School Marks for Life Science

Old 05-20-2009 at 01:21 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

it seems like im going to Mac afterall, haven't accepted the offer yet, but doing some research, I'm really convinced yet scared of course.
I do have to pick SOMETHING though, and Mac seems to be better than just "something". Thanks guys, you really helped me out a lot.
Hopefully that 85-90+ will come! Crossing my fingers for sure =S ..
By the way, I was wondering when do we choose courses, are the dates known yet? I don't want to be late when all the classes fill up!
Thanks again guys!
PS_ I was wondering if anyone read my previous post in this thread, =$ Thanks
Old 05-20-2009 at 02:53 PM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
it seems like im going to Mac afterall, haven't accepted the offer yet, but doing some research, I'm really convinced yet scared of course.
I do have to pick SOMETHING though, and Mac seems to be better than just "something". Thanks guys, you really helped me out a lot.
Hopefully that 85-90+ will come! Crossing my fingers for sure =S ..
By the way, I was wondering when do we choose courses, are the dates known yet? I don't want to be late when all the classes fill up!
Thanks again guys!
PS_ I was wondering if anyone read my previous post in this thread, =$ Thanks
It varies by faculty and year when you choose courses :]

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...%20FINAL. pdf

And definitely get on it when it's your time, because classes can fill up. If there's a class that's full and you really really want it, try e-mailing the professor for that course and see if they can get you in.

Hmm what else... oh, don't get frustrated if you can't choose your courses right away because there's a lot of traffic (like thousands of students choosing courses at the same time). Just be patient with it. All of us pretty much hate the process because it takes a while to get through. Totally worth the wait though.

As for working/volunteering on campus, you can find part time jobs that are like 10 hours a week even. There is a work study program that you can go through, but I'm pretty sure you do all that when you're actually here. However, the process isn't as easy for international students. Does anyone know the actual process?

Volunteering is easy, just sign up for stuff when you're here. :]
Old 05-20-2009 at 02:58 PM   #18
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Yes, there are various volunteer and job opportunities offered on campus. McMaster's Student Union offers services to students, but to do so they require volunteers and employees. You can look for MSU jobs/volunteer opportunities in the following link: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/jobs/overview/jobs.htm

There's also McMaster's Work Programs. These include The Ontario Work-Study Program, McWork and the International Students' Work Program (as name implies, it's for international students). Work program job opportunities will be posted on OSCAR (Online Student Career And Recruitment). There are requirements for these work programs and you can find out more information about them here: http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/work_study/jobs.html
So yep, there are definitely lots of job and volunteer opportunities offered on campus. Of course there will be lots of others that may be interested in the same job postings as you, so it will be a bit of a challenge. If that doesn't work out, or you're not interested in the jobs/volunteer opportunities posted, you can always find job/volunter opportunities off campus. There will be more details about job and volunteer opportunities on MacInsiders most likely, so check regularly.
I also wondered about working on campus before I came to McMaster and here's a thread I started asking a few questions. I got a lot of great and detailed responses so you may also find it useful. Here's the link: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1891 0
As for choosing courses, you won't have to do that until around the end of June or beginning of July. You will receive information regarding that in your email and you could also find information regarding this on MacInsiders sometime over the summer. You pick your courses through an online service called SOLAR. But yeah, don't worry about that for now. When the time comes, you will be provided with full details and deadlines so you won't have a problem. Hope that answered your questions. Feel free to ask more questions or for clarification about anything I stated.
callendar, really? I didn't hear about that at all. Thanks for letting me know. I had a feeling that they might decide to add the MCAT to the requirements sometime. At least it's only the verbal part though hehe.