MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music 2II3 wienerjc 2nd Year Course Reviews 22 05-29-2017 06:42 PM
History 2P03/History 2HI3 ardenelva 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 09-13-2011 08:05 PM
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM
Music 2II3 Justin Leary Academics 1 04-23-2009 01:23 PM

History 2ii3

Old 12-20-2010 at 09:59 AM   #1
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

History 2ii3
Anyone know anything about this course? As usual, there's a stunning lack of history course reviews, and I'll I've been able to find is the outline.

Any tips for the prof, Swett?

Modern Germany, btw, because the 3 in 3FF3 scares me a bit.
Old 12-20-2010 at 11:54 AM   #2
cygnusX1

Liked: 46 Times

I'm also taking it next semester. I don't know anything about the prof, but usually anything to do with Modern Germany can't be made uninteresting...it just seems impossible. So I think it will be great.

For anyone else who hasn't seen it, I have the syllabus from 2008. It's a different prof, but it has a general description of the course and the assignments.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Modern Germany Syllabus.pdf (38.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 12-20-2010 at 12:07 PM   #3
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusX1 View Post
but usually anything to do with Modern Germany can't be made uninteresting...it just seems impossible. So I think it will be great.
That' what I though about when I took a space/astronomy course in 1st year, I though to myself, 'how can black holes be boring?, its impossible' - oh its possible, very much . Turned out to be as boring as watching a banana take a nap. Always except the worst.

Then again, I have no one to blame but myself for not doing enough research and trusting the reviews of a couple of space nerds.

@britb: sorry i cant contribute much to your question, good luck finding the answers you seek.
Old 12-20-2010 at 12:39 PM   #4
cygnusX1

It doesn't matter if the prof is boring or not. The material is inherently interesting. Having a good prof just makes the course better.
Old 12-20-2010 at 01:03 PM   #5
siefer1322

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the prof is boring or not. The material is inherently interesting. Having a good prof just makes the course better.
100% disagree. If the prof is boring and sucks, the material will be dragged down as well. A good prof can make welding seem mind blowing, but a bad prof can make time travel make you wish you pressed the snooze button.

Hell, it can even ruin the the whole thing for you. I speak of experience, I lived this shit.

Real talk.

Last edited by siefer1322 : 12-20-2010 at 01:05 PM.

britb likes this.
Old 12-20-2010 at 01:10 PM   #6
cygnusX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by siefer1322 View Post
a bad prof can make time travel make you wish you pressed the snooze button.
What does this even mean?

Quote:
Hell, it can even ruin the the whole thing for you. I speak of experience, I lived this shit.

Real talk.
I realize us mortals haven't experienced a fraction of what you've done in your obviously superior life, but if I'm already interested in the material, then a prof's boring presentation won't make the course worthless. It will just be presented in a boring way. I've had boring profs too, but the material remained interesting throughout the courses.
Old 12-20-2010 at 01:21 PM   #7
siefer1322

Quote:
What does this even mean?

Time travel, which is generally accepted interesting subject with a bad prof will make you wish you stayed in bed that morning (thus reference to the snooze button on the alarm clock).

Quote:
, but if I'm already interested in the material, then a prof's boring presentation won't make the course worthless. It will just be presented in a boring way. I've had boring profs too, but the material remained interesting throughout the courses.
If you are truly passionate about the subject then you can still find the material interesting and keep going on that, but if you are first exposed to the said material (like I was) and given a bad first impression and experience then that could ruin your entire idea of it and it would be difficult to get over it. Do you see my point?

Quote:
I realize us mortals haven't experienced a fraction of what you've done in your obviously superior life
Thanks.

Old 12-20-2010 at 01:27 PM   #8
cygnusX1

Quote:
If you are truly passionate about the subject then you can still find the material interesting and keep going on that, but if you are first exposed to the said material (like I was) and given a bad first impression and experience then that could ruin your entire idea of it and it would be difficult to get over it. Do you see my point?
Oh so what you were talking about was irrelevant to what I was talking about. Cool. We just kind of went off on a tangent.

Btw I like the random pics in every post you make. Makes it seem like you have a personality!
Old 12-20-2010 at 01:38 PM   #9
siefer1322

Or maybe I am just trying to add a little flavor the posts.

Lol, OP is going to go WTF when he reads this thread.