MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM
Question about Honours History program requirements rebeccaaa Academics 2 06-11-2010 09:33 AM
Art History Program to Remain Open Following Senate Meeting lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2010 12:38 PM
Senate Meeting regarding the closure of McMaster's Art History Program Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-15-2010 02:20 AM
Stop Phasing Out the McMaster Art History Program! whitem25 MacInsiders Announcements 47 03-01-2010 02:13 PM

History Program

Old 01-04-2010 at 06:35 PM   #1
akbadak

Liked: 0 Times

History Program
So I applied for Mac's History program. can anyone here comment on the quality and course variety in the program (also I guess the quality of the entire humanities faculty as a whole)? I'm so glad that I'm going to be majoring in something I love and I know it's easier said than done but I'm prepared to work pretty hard in order to do well so my second question is: how difficult will it be to obtain an A average in this program/faculty?
Old 01-04-2010 at 07:01 PM   #2
noghi

Liked: 2 Times

If your good at writing essays/being good at researching, youll be set.

akbadak says thanks to noghi for this post.

akbadak likes this.
Old 01-04-2010 at 07:19 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Humanities faculty love.

I didn't major in History (I intended to) but I love it so I've taken a handful of courses as electives and hope to take at least one or two more next year (couldn't fit any in this year *cries*). Anyway overall I've really enjoyed them and feel Mac has some top notch History professors, very knowledgeable and passionate about the field. Again though I didn't major in it so I can't comment on the courses as a major in the program.

It does seem like it would be a heavy work load but if you love it and you feel you can handle the reading, researching and essay load then you're headed in the right direction.

I took the History courses b/c I love the subject matter but they have always been my most time consuming and work heavy courses and I haven't received As across the board in them, but I can't say it would be the same for you.

To give you an idea of the course variety here is the History course calendar for 2009-2010:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1800.html

You can read a brief explanation of each History course Mac has at the present moment.

Hopefully a History major can give you more details.

akbadak says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-04-2010 at 09:40 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I love history, but I was completely uninterested in Mac's history classes...there is a huge focus on ancient Greece and Rome, and Europe...which I'm not into at all (I prefer North American of which there are only two second year classes and one or two others).

An A average (85-89%) is very hard to attain in Humanities, FYI, as is an A- (80-84%)...Mac's Dean's Honor List is for students who have an A- average, and the number of Soc Sci and Humanities students on that list is quite low; the overall percentage of students at Mac on the list is between 10-15% if I'm not mistaken, with Soc Sci and Humanities being less than that number.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

akbadak says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-04-2010 at 09:46 PM   #5
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

I am in history and I love it.
I highly recommend it. It is a lot of work (so.many.essays.), but it is worth it.

akbadak, Maegs like this.
Old 01-04-2010 at 09:47 PM   #6
akbadak

Liked: 0 Times

Yikes, scary stuff, I'm thinking about applying to law/grad school after, particularly somewhere in the States but I would also like to maintain a lifestyle which not only includes coursework.

How many hours a week are spent in Humanities courses? Also, is first year general?
Old 01-04-2010 at 09:48 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I'm not saying it's impossible (I was just shy of it last year and attained it this term; both with lots of extra curriculars); but it takes a lot of discipline and time management...and often re-arranging your priorities.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

akbadak says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-04-2010 at 11:20 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbadak View Post
Yikes, scary stuff, I'm thinking about applying to law/grad school after, particularly somewhere in the States but I would also like to maintain a lifestyle which not only includes coursework.

How many hours a week are spent in Humanities courses? Also, is first year general?
In courses I'm pretty sure its a lot less than a lot of other faculties. Lots of time in Humanities is spent on doing readings, at least imo, depending on the courses too.

Oh man I'm working really hard towards my first A- average this year too. I've been going up each year so at least that's good.

University in general just requires good time management and a good work ethic. If you're just here to party you're not going to do well. You have to be dedicated to your studies to do well.

That said if you manage your time wisely you should also have time for things outside studying and course work that you'd like to do.