MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Question about Honours History program requirements rebeccaaa Academics 2 06-11-2010 09:33 AM
Art History Program to Remain Open Following Senate Meeting lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2010 12:38 PM
Senate Meeting regarding the closure of McMaster's Art History Program Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-15-2010 02:20 AM
History Program akbadak First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 01-04-2010 11:20 PM
Stop forwarding mcmaster email to gmail khaotic General Discussion 1 10-22-2009 10:20 PM

Stop Phasing Out the McMaster Art History Program!

As of February 1st 2010, the Dean has proposed a potential phasing out of the Honours and Joint Honours BA Art History options over a 2-3 year period. Once this decision is approved by her committee, it will go on to the Faculty of Humanities, the Undergraduate Planning Committee and the Senate. The decision to phase out the McMaster Art History Program could be finalized in the next few weeks.

The McMaster Museum of Art is an excellent resource for students and we are fortunate to be one of the few universities in Ontario to have an on-campus museum and affiliated Studio Art Program. There is also easy access to the Art Gallery of Hamilton and various commercial galleries on James Street North, which enable students to gain practical museum/gallery experience. The decision to phase out Honours and Joint Honours Art History is not a logical one given these circumstances.

To compromise, McMaster is willing to spare the minor in Art History option. However, this does not satisfy the requirements of many professional and graduate school programs for art, art history and design disciplines. McMaster University is depriving its Studio Arts and Art History undergraduate students from being exposed to a full range of topics within the Visual Arts!

Mac Art History is a small program with a small but mighty voice. We encourage all students and alumni to make their opinions known by writing to President George, the Provost, the Dean of Humanities and the Director of the School of the Arts.

Their contact information is as follows:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

There is also an online petition you can sign, “Stop the phasing out of the McMaster University Art History Program” http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/macarthistory/
Please sign the petition and help with the fight to stop the phasing out of the McMaster Art History program.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 02-02-2010 at 02:57 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
The Comp Lit program is also being phased out. One of my friends who has been here for 4 years studying Comp Lit now has to graduate with a degree in English.

Did you know Mac used to be one of the best schools in Canada for Political Science? Now look at it.

Why are they doing this to the Humanities and Social Sciences :(

I will sign this petition for sure! Right now, the website is giving me an error though.

Old 02-02-2010 at 03:06 PM   #3
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times
Canada is culturally backwards. What do you expect?

Quester likes this.

Old 02-02-2010 at 03:50 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times
McMaster seems to be making a point of kicking our Humanities and Social Sciences while they're down. It's not enough that they're "reallocating" funding and firing profs, now they're canceling the few remaining diverse programs that exist in those faculties.

Old 02-02-2010 at 03:53 PM   #5
finklej
Vice President Education
SRA Member

Liked: 42 Times
Hey Everyone,
The SRA Humanities Caucus is having a meeting with Dean Wright soon, and we will be bring up the issue with him.
If you would send me emails ([email protected]) I will print of everyone and give them to him. Also, include any questions you want answered and I will bring them up with the Dean

Old 02-02-2010 at 07:06 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
Hey Everyone,
The SRA Humanities Caucus is having a meeting with Dean Wright soon, and we will be bring up the issue with him.
If you would send me emails ([email protected]) I will print of everyone and give them to him. Also, include any questions you want answered and I will bring them up with the Dean
I'd appreciate it Joe, if you could post how many email responses you got after your meeting is complete.

Old 02-02-2010 at 07:50 PM   #7
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times
think the dean will give a shit about a few emails? mac is run by admin. not the students.

Old 02-02-2010 at 07:52 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
How do I sign without donating to the site?

Old 02-02-2010 at 08:22 PM   #9
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times
If they follow through with this, I will most likely weep for the lost soul of McMaster.

Old 02-02-2010 at 08:55 PM   #10
whitem25

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
How do I sign without donating to the site?

Once you submit your name and email address, you have signed the petition.
Just ignore the next step having to do with donations.

Kathy2, Maegs all say thanks to whitem25 for this post.

Old 02-02-2010 at 08:58 PM   #11
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times
won't all the courses still be available?

Old 02-02-2010 at 08:58 PM   #12
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times
mcmaster clearly doesn't care for humanities

Old 02-02-2010 at 09:06 PM   #13
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Humanities <3

niteskie likes this.

Old 02-02-2010 at 10:47 PM   #14
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
I have a question: does anyone actually have a problem with the idea of a school phasing out programs in order to specialize in other areas? Or is this just a NIMBY type thing?

(This is genuine curiosity. I personally think that its a good idea for different schools to focus in different areas, but I haven't actually heard arguments against the idea, so I could be missing something huge).

Old 02-03-2010 at 12:47 AM   #15
plums

Liked: 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I have a question: does anyone actually have a problem with the idea of a school phasing out programs in order to specialize in other areas? Or is this just a NIMBY type thing?

(This is genuine curiosity. I personally think that its a good idea for different schools to focus in different areas, but I haven't actually heard arguments against the idea, so I could be missing something huge).
No problem. Phase, phase, phase.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search