MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Question about Honours History program requirements rebeccaaa Academics 2 06-11-2010 09:33 AM
Art History Program to Remain Open Following Senate Meeting lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-17-2010 12:38 PM
Senate Meeting regarding the closure of McMaster's Art History Program Nosh MacInsiders Announcements 2 04-15-2010 02:20 AM
History Program akbadak First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 01-04-2010 11:20 PM
Stop forwarding mcmaster email to gmail khaotic General Discussion 1 10-22-2009 10:20 PM

Stop Phasing Out the McMaster Art History Program!

Old 02-26-2010 at 05:55 PM   #45
fionn.smyth

Liked: 0 Times
Hey everyone,

Currently here is what we know about the program phase out.

The motion to phase out the art history program and accept no new admissions after the 2010 - 2011 academic session (which allows all first years wishing to declare a major in Art History to do so).

This means that ALL students currently in an Art History BA, HBA or combined honours degree WILL be able to complete their degree. Meaning that there will be courses offered in order for those students to complete their program.

Though the results of both the Open Forum for the ARTS and the undergraduate council discussion were not entirely satisfactory for students they got discussion started.

I am not for this phase out, or for any phase out of a program without good communication.

I would like to say that this issue has given rise to level of student interest in something that I have never seen the likes of at Mac. I am proud to be in Humanities and I hope that this is the beginning of something bigger for humanities students standing up and speaking out.

I would like to invite all students to become active the the ARTS MATTERS campaign March 1-5.

email [email protected] om for more information!

Old 02-27-2010 at 10:10 AM   #46
jmbauman
Union Market Manager
SRA Member

Liked: 32 Times
SRA Humanities is in the process of soliciting feed back from the Art History Professors about making Art History into a combined degree (similar to those in interdisciplinary studies, like Peace Studies and Cultural Studies).

We have been told outright by the Humanities administration that the professors would rather see their program cut outright than think about a combined degree, but right now the feeling is more that Art History needs more resources to be able to provide a degree. i.e. they could do it, but it would be crappy with the current levels of resources.

Another point, as Callen mentioned, is that the Undergraduate Council only passed a recommendation to the Senate to being the phasing out of Art History. There is still chance.

Sam Minniti (MAPS) has been holding regular meetings with student stakeholders on this matter (including Art History students, members of the Art and Art History society, the MHS, SRA Humanities, the Humanities Senator, and the MSU's VP Education). One of the possible outcomes from Senate is to differ the motion to phase out Art History for another year, based on the lack of student input. The External Review that was conducted only had 35 respondents - an extremely low number.

Another possibility is the revival of Art History in the next 3-5 years. Something much harder to do, but it's something.

Old 03-01-2010 at 02:13 PM   #47
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times
your VP of education is a moron.

If the admin wants to tell the students the reasons the MSU would be happy to tell the students?

What the **** is with all that chris??

Try: "tell us the reasons or gtfo"

too bad our msu leaders are either useless like this or angry drunks :(

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search