MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 1bb3 / Csct 1bb3 - Cultural Studies And Consumer Culture Chad 1st Year Course Reviews 27 06-11-2012 10:45 AM
Econ 1bb3, Hlth Age 1bb3, Linguist 1a03 waldo92 Academics 4 09-17-2010 10:42 PM
Roommate discussion nikki12 Mary Keyes Forum 1 07-19-2010 08:19 PM
Advanced Placement and McMaster ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-05-2010 10:23 PM
Why not Consider a Career Field Placement during Reading Week? Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-19-2010 10:26 AM

HlthAge 1BB3 Placement vs Discussion?

Old 01-03-2011 at 09:34 PM   #1
Alicia.I

Liked: 0 Times

HlthAge 1BB3 Placement vs Discussion?
Hi
I am just wondering for those students who took HlthAge 1BB3, is it better to do the volunteer placement at an elderly home or the 10 sessions of group discussion?

Any comments would be a great help, thanks.
Old 01-03-2011 at 10:02 PM   #2
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

I did the discussion group and I found it to be a great experience. The discussions end up being interesting since you/group members are leading the discussion, and the senior leaders are nice
It's also way easier to go to a classroom on campus each week than have to find/go somewhere off campus, and it's an easier process for signing up (you don't have to fill in a bunch of forms/get a police check)
I was too lazy to find somewhere to do volunteer work and I thought it'd be easier to stay on campus so that's why I chose it, and I ended up really enjoying it
Hope that helped !

jamescw1234 says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.
Old 01-03-2011 at 10:25 PM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I have it this semester, I'm already volunteering, but I kind of want to do the discussion because I want to try something new and get the chance to discuss issues with older adults, which I don't really get to do in long term care. So after kirs' advice, I'm definitely going with the discussion.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:24 PM   #4
bangbang

Liked: 0 Times

does anyone know if tutorials for this class are beginning this week?
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:34 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
does anyone know if tutorials for this class are beginning this week?
I took it last term and there were no tutorials the first week of class. Double check though!

Also, I did the discussion group and I loved it. I volunteered before at a nursing home, and although it's an equally rewarding experience, I didn't interact with the residents as much, simply because it was so large and I only went 3 hours a week and I barely interacted with the same people twice. Also, it's really hard for someone to monitor you or give you a specific task (usually), so you're more into finding stuff to do yourself. That's how it was for me anyway. But all the people who volunteered did get their 10% full. The discussion groups however were with 2 older adults and I loved just listening to their stories, share their opinions and points of view on certain topics we discussed in the presentation. It was such a valuable experience and I'm glad I did it despite being a little iffy and nervous about it at the beginning. Also, the class assistants were super nice and we all got 10% if we didn't miss any discussion groups and such. It was definitely worth it! Also, it's on campus and you don't have to go anywhere and the sign up process is less of a hassle than volunteering (get there early to get your preferred timeslot and topic!)