Holiday Gift Ideas! lorend Misc 5 11-27-2008 11:57 AM
FAMILY DAY holiday? Chad General Discussion 1 02-14-2008 07:07 PM

Holiday Move Out

Old 11-23-2008 at 11:09 PM   #1
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Holiday Move Out
I have a few questions on how extensive the move out is supposed to be.

Are we coming back to the same rooms? (I'm 90% sure we are but I'm asking to be safe)

Are they cleaning the rooms while we're gone?

Are we expected to move all our stuff out (Can we leave our fridge and stuff that we wont need over the break like our printer/textbooks here)?

Do we get any help moving out?
Old 11-23-2008 at 11:22 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Yes.
No.
No. Unplug all electronics, close windows and blinds, set heaters to "low", lock doors.
No.

Tailsnake says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 11-23-2008 at 11:22 PM   #3
opensky

Liked: 2 Times

You move back into the same rooms, unless you're in one of the Brandon displaced hotels (then I think you just move back into your original Brandon room).

They do not clean the rooms while you're gone.

You don't have to move any of your stuff out, but remember to take everything you'll need over the break because you can't come back into rez to get it. Stuff like medication, money, ID, specific clothing, etc. Also, be careful you don't leave anything too valuable to you there because the school is not liable for loss of personal property due to fire, theft, or water damage. I wouldn't be paranoid, but it could happen. I also would not leave perishable food in my room.

You'll get information in your McMaster e-mail as well as paper handouts with your move out date (day after your last exam) and specific instructions (along time lines of close your blinds, lock your door, unplug stuff, and instructions about fridges [I never had one so I don't remember it]).

And unlike move-in, there are no reps to help you move your stuff, so have a family member/friend or two come help you if you have a lot of stuff to bring back.

Tailsnake says thanks to opensky for this post.
Old 11-23-2008 at 11:25 PM   #4
nicole.h

Liked: 1 Time

Yes you do come back to the same room that you had first semester. They do not clean the rooms while you are gone, but they might check the room. I can't remember if they did it during my first year. And no, you are not expected to move your stuff out. You might want to empty your fridge out before you go, or else stuff might go bad. And you don't get any help moving out. Your move-out day is the day after your last exam and by 12:00 noon, unless you have gotten accommodations to move out later. And move-in is January 4 after 7am.

Tailsnake says thanks to nicole.h for this post.
Old 11-24-2008 at 10:17 AM   #5
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

The res manager did check the rooms last year while we were gone, just to make sure that everything was unplugged, etc. Just make sure that if you have any "contraband" (like a kettle, coffee maker, any electronics that technically aren't allowed in residence), you put it in your closet or in a drawer...The manager won't go looking for stuff to get you in trouble for, but if there is stuff out in the open, it might have to be confiscated.
As for fridges, I would say cleaning it out is a reallllyyyy good idea - at least for perishable stuff. I think I left some condiments in mine, and a couple of frozen dinners (stuff that wouldn't go bad), and just left a note asking for it to be left plugged in. Everything else should be unplugged though.
Old 11-26-2008 at 06:19 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

The board in front of the service desk in Commons has all the information you need to know about holiday move-out.

As for your fridge you're supposed to remove most food, anything that will spoil especially. You're also supposed to leave it plugged in.

You don't have to move your stuff out, just take what you need for the break home.

They do check the rooms on the 18th.

According to the Commons board thing they want you to vacuum your room before you leave. So remember to borrow a vacuum from the service center in West or North Quad to do that before you move out.
Old 11-26-2008 at 09:39 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

That vacuuming policy is a newish one...I didn`t have to do that in res...I guess it`s so they make sure the rooms are cleaned at least once a term.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement