Holiday Gift Ideas! lorend Misc 5 11-27-2008 11:57 AM
Holiday Move Out Tailsnake Residence & Housing 6 11-26-2008 09:39 PM
FAMILY DAY holiday? Chad General Discussion 1 02-14-2008 07:07 PM

Holiday Work

Old 11-17-2009 at 09:23 PM   #1
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Holiday Work
Has anyone tried the Holiday Work Thing? They were giving out calling cards today in the Student Centre.

Is it credible? I mean, I went to the website and it doesn't tell you what kind of job they are offering which I find a bit odd. They just let you apply online and then schedule for an interview by calling a no.

Are you going to apply for it? Why or why not?
Old 11-17-2009 at 09:40 PM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
Has anyone tried the Holiday Work Thing? They were giving out calling cards today in the Student Centre.

Is it credible? I mean, I went to the website and it doesn't tell you what kind of job they are offering which I find a bit odd. They just let you apply online and then schedule for an interview by calling a no.

Are you going to apply for it? Why or why not?
Edit: Yes I saw them too; AND I just picked up a card they were handing out; On one side it says "Need Cash?" the other side says $15.05 Base/Appt. It is pretty convincing if you are in the need for money. And here's the interesting bit the company is actually "Vector Marketing" if you look at the bottom of the card.

Vector Marketing seems to have propped up on campus(they had a table in MUSC) recently as well to add to the list of corporations that are having a grand old time getting direct access to a vulnerable and one of the more needy demographics : College Students. They most definitely don't have student interests in mind and get their cut BEFORE you break even and start making your own profit potentially. Hence its a win-win for them under all circumstances; ALL they need are smooth talking people presenting stuff to you and a PR person to scout and then sweep up any PR disasters/customer complaints.

I did my best to summarize the concerns gathered at Insiders last month took it to the MSU Exec Board; they agreed on principle to at least to try and disallow these companies from classrooms. Nothing has happened since then, I last asked a BOD member what the progress regarding action against time wasting their visits by commercial organizations was and he said the Admin currently doesn't have a official policy adopted, that was about it. The trail seems dead for now. I love Bureaucracy!

p.s: Rant aside I'm not 100% sure what MUSC rules on handouts are; they have to be approved I think. I'm not sure if these calling cards were.

pps: Get a real Job! Even Walmart & McDonalds will treat you better then commission based jobs where you work under a supervisor who is more concerned about breaking even/making a profit then following every rule by the book.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 11-17-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2009 at 09:48 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

NEVER EVER apply for a commission based job. I've had my share of horrible experiences with that.

The problem with places like McDonalds is that they'd rather hire high school students as opposed to those in university.
Old 11-17-2009 at 09:51 PM   #4
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
NEVER EVER apply for a commission based job. I've had my share of horrible experiences with that.

The problem with places like McDonalds is that they'd rather hire high school students as opposed to those in university.
I'm not sure how this works/how this happened but from what I heard there was a 30-45% Summer Job opening level in Ontario this year. Meaning 30-40% of the Summer jobs never got filled up! I'm not sure why people never applied and then on the other hand I heard complaints of people complaining about not getting employed. Maybe one isn't looking in the right places? I dunno.

Old 11-17-2009 at 09:58 PM   #5
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post

Well it always works out in your favor if you mention on more then one occasion that you will graduate in 2012(which is a good 3ish years away) so managers get a feeling that because a) you need the money and b) You will be around for a bit you might stick around with them.

Old 11-18-2009 at 08:12 AM   #6
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Vector Marketing is a sham.

You'll be selling kitchen knives door to door. When you realize that nobody wants to buy knives, you'll go to your family and relatives who take pity on you, and buy some expensive poorly-manufactured knife sets.
Old 11-18-2009 at 10:26 AM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I would never take a job that says "$$$ per appointment" or anything like that. they are either door-to-door or telemarketing. Googling "Vector marketing scam" will probably bring you some interesting sites.

And I agree with feonateresa. It has been discussed in another thread as well. I've found paces like McDonalds hire more high school students than university students. Lots of university students get turned down at those places because they are overqualified.
Old 11-18-2009 at 10:41 AM   #8
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I would never take a job that says "$$$ per appointment" or anything like that. they are either door-to-door or telemarketing. Googling "Vector marketing scam" will probably bring you some interesting sites.

And I agree with feonateresa. It has been discussed in another thread as well. I've found paces like McDonalds hire more high school students than university students. Lots of university students get turned down at those places because they are overqualified.
I found that it's more so that they want someone who will work for them for a couple years, such as high students.

I remember I kept getting something like 10-15 interviews during the summer before university, and turned down on every single one because one of the questions was "Where are you going to university?", and since McMaster is not Brock, I got ignored.
Old 11-18-2009 at 11:37 AM   #9
AlchemistX

Liked: 11 Times

You should definately not do ANYTHING Vector Marketing based. For one a commission job is not a reliable source of income, work long hours and get almost nothing. I went for an interview with them last summer. The give you an orientation of the product you will sell (in my case overpriced knives) and then hire everyone that goes. Its a gimmick and a complete waste of time.
Old 11-18-2009 at 11:43 AM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaront View Post
I found that it's more so that they want someone who will work for them for a couple years, such as high students.

I remember I kept getting something like 10-15 interviews during the summer before university, and turned down on every single one because one of the questions was "Where are you going to university?", and since McMaster is not Brock, I got ignored.
I think it also has to do with university being more work than high school, and they want people who can work more flexible hours. Unviersity students have way more committments than high school students.

Whatever the reason, the excuse I'm always given is "You're overqualified".
Old 11-18-2009 at 12:14 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yeah, overqualification. Places like McD's, No Frills, etc. However, I noticed places that are close to campus, like Metro and Fortinos do hire university students.

The employers do want someone who can stick around though definitely. I went back to Toronto this past summer, and couldn't find any work. I suspect it's because I'd be returning to Hamilton in the fall and they didn't want someone like that. And about the 30-40% openings in summer jobs... everyone I knew was having trouble finding jobs in the summer though, why is that?
Old 11-18-2009 at 12:35 PM   #12
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

May be unethical, but why tell McDonald's that you're in university? Say that you're in high school, or out of school but set your avaiabilty around your classes (Even tell them you haver a second day job). If they find out and you get canned, so what? You've made money that you wouldn't have already.
Old 11-18-2009 at 02:55 PM   #13
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
May be unethical, but why tell McDonald's that you're in university? Say that you're in high school, or out of school but set your avaiabilty around your classes (Even tell them you haver a second day job). If they find out and you get canned, so what? You've made money that you wouldn't have already.
Okay... but then, when you look for another job, you'll need references... and if they call McDonald's and find out what you did, your credibility is ruined and you'll have a hard time getting a job.
Old 11-19-2009 at 11:42 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I almost kept a job at Vector Marketing last job. I would definitely NOT call them. Get a real job.

What kind of real job is 3 days of NON-paid training? It's non-paid b/c they know by the end of it, more peopel are gonna drop out then stay with it...

I stopped going after the first day of training (the also refused to train me around my exams, and had to go in for training a day before one of my exams)

It was absolute bullshit.

Just check out the college pro thread, it's the exact same crap.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-19-2009 at 11:47 AM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Feona, simple.

To get a job this summer, I just told them in an interview that I wasn't going back to school and planned on staying at this job as long as possible.

Yea, lying sucks, but when it's the only way to get a job in Bowmanville, you do what you gotta do.

Besides, even if you do work there for 3-4 months... You have a few options:

a) Don't put them on your resume because let's face it, even if you have a reference, some people look down at working at a dead-end job for a short period of time.
b) Put them on your resume anyways and don't use them as a reference. Most places only ask for 3 references, so... get other ones. I know I'm not using my summer job as a reference, but I'm still saying I worked there.

(even if I wanted to use them as a reference, they pretty much said I'm not allowed to use them. lmao).

The moment I got a job was the moment I said I wasn't returning to university. ._. all the jobs I interviewed for before that were given to other ppl.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.