Holiday Gift Ideas! lorend Misc 5 11-27-2008 11:57 AM
Holiday Move Out Tailsnake Residence & Housing 6 11-26-2008 09:39 PM
FAMILY DAY holiday? Chad General Discussion 1 02-14-2008 07:07 PM

Holiday Work

Old 11-19-2009 at 12:10 PM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Unless you're absolutely DYING for money, sometimes volunteering is more useful.

I'm sure employers would rather see that you volunteered for 4 months at a place related to your degree, than seeing that you worked at McDonalds for 4 months.

But I'm guessing just about everybody working at McDonalds is pretty strapped for cash.
Old 11-19-2009 at 12:33 PM   #17
Command "S"

Liked: 3 Times

Vector Marketing works based on numbers hence that's why they blanket all University and high schools. They specifically offer the carrot to the needy (especially in this economy) only to use them without any remorse. They have a slick presence, "hookem and Reelem in" PR material and glossy brochures, well rehearsed interviewers, official "training programs" the whole nine yards... but when it comes down to it it is door to door solicitation and they don't give a shit about who does it so long as they have the numbers. They get paid first and you second. A few don't get call backs because they tend to want the "well motivated" (dumb lumber) - not offering it to everyone sort of legitimizes the presentation but in reality it weeds out those who are bright and will cause them grief later on. Im surprised that the law or government hasn't shut them down but something that operates this slick does so a hair on the right side border of the law. It's like the Ponzi scheme of selling door to door. My advice - pick worms, its cleaner, its safer (you won't be selling knives to a Jack the ripper wacko), you won't work for free and you won't have to screw your fellow human for a buck.
Old 11-19-2009 at 12:43 PM   #18
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Okay... but then, when you look for another job, you'll need references... and if they call McDonald's and find out what you did, your credibility is ruined and you'll have a hard time getting a job.
I wouldn't want McDonald's on my resume, anyways. I would just want their money.
Old 11-19-2009 at 12:54 PM   #19
Command "S"

How is it these guys are even allowed to be on campus? Does anyone check out crap like this? Isn't anyone watching the gates at Mac? I thought Mac had a morals standard?
Old 11-19-2009 at 02:05 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Command "S" View Post
Vector Marketing works based on numbers hence that's why they blanket all University and high schools. They specifically offer the carrot to the needy (especially in this economy) only to use them without any remorse. They have a slick presence, "hookem and Reelem in" PR material and glossy brochures, well rehearsed interviewers, official "training programs" the whole nine yards... but when it comes down to it it is door to door solicitation and they don't give a shit about who does it so long as they have the numbers. They get paid first and you second. A few don't get call backs because they tend to want the "well motivated" (dumb lumber) - not offering it to everyone sort of legitimizes the presentation but in reality it weeds out those who are bright and will cause them grief later on. Im surprised that the law or government hasn't shut them down but something that operates this slick does so a hair on the right side border of the law. It's like the Ponzi scheme of selling door to door. My advice - pick worms, its cleaner, its safer (you won't be selling knives to a Jack the ripper wacko), you won't work for free and you won't have to screw your fellow human for a buck.
This is everything I feel about Vector marketing, put in the exact words I feel. I absolutely hate companies like this and I'm very disappointed that McMaster lets Vector and College Pro/Action Pro (and Spring Masters if they're allowed) on campus.

For Spring Masters, I had been in contact with them for an interview (which was very painful - a donkey would have known how to use a computer and email better) and I googled the address they gave me for the interview. It was someone's apartment! No thanks!!
Old 11-19-2009 at 02:06 PM   #21
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
How is it these guys are even allowed to be on campus? Does anyone check out crap like this? Isn't anyone watching the gates at Mac? I thought Mac had a morals standard?
Sadly, Vector, CollegePro, etc. probably pay McMaster to come on campus and sell their shady company. It seems like Mac doesn't care either way, as long as they get paid.
Old 11-19-2009 at 03:42 PM   #22
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Thanks guys for the reply. Now I won't get fooled by the Vector Marketing thing.

That sucks McDonald's doesn't hire University students because we are overqualified. At the same time, if you have a Bachelor of Arts degree, you will find it hard to find a job that would give you decent money enough to pay for OSAP. Especially in this kind of economy. I mean you can't work in McDonald's if you have BA because you are over qualified, you will be in too much competition with other people with a BA degree to find a, more likely, boring desk job like receptionist or as a human resource person.

No wonder engineers are sticking to their programs because they know it would be worth it in the end. They must be laughing at people who are not in engineering, especially the ones with a BA degree.

Damn, I wish I was super smart so that I can have a decent degree like engineering or medicine.

I guess trade is another option for people with BA. At least it doesn't seem boring unlike desk jobs. Or maybe Walmart if trade isn't an option.
Old 11-19-2009 at 03:47 PM   #23
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
I think that people/Mac students should use macinsider as a way to share/communicate to people about all these shady job offers in order to not only save someone from being scammed or cheated or exploited on, but to also save them their time and energy. Because seriously, any student who desperately needs money might not google the company and maybe just apply for the job.

So if anyone has to share any job that looks shady, regardless if it was advertised at Mac's student centre, just share it her. We need to watch out for each other since our school can't seem to do that.
Old 11-19-2009 at 04:38 PM   #24
Command "S"

Sorta equates Mac with them doesn't it.
Old 11-19-2009 at 04:42 PM   #25
Command "S"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Sadly, Vector, CollegePro, etc. probably pay McMaster to come on campus and sell their shady company. It seems like Mac doesn't care either way, as long as they get paid.
Sorta equates Mac with them doesn't it. Now you know why they address students as units. Units of assets or cash, perhaps.

michelle likes this.
Old 11-19-2009 at 05:18 PM   #26
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

MUSC is run as a separate business, so Mac doesn't have much say over what goes into the atrium, I don't think.

I'm sure if people made a big enough stink about it they might reconsider, but as other people have said... money is money to any business.
Old 11-19-2009 at 05:27 PM   #27
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
You can take a look at this: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/content/d...,%20200 9.pdf

So the MSU is technically supposed to represent en masse student interests.

The MSU unofficially agreed to atleast get them off campus after I had summarized the concerns from the College Pro thread; they were apprehensive at completely banning them from campus because we obviously don't have quantifiable evidence that they are ethical/unethical or legit and so on. Plus student politicians are normally apprehensive against making strong sweeping announcements/changes to the way things are. Unlike someone from the administration who if so inclined can actually change things the MSU leadership will be in a tight spot when they set a controversial stance against something without having the power to actually do anything: All they can do is lobby, which makes it awkward.

I have enquired more then once since then regarding the progress in getting them away from classes and the last I heard the response was that "The Administration doesn't have a policy against these companies".

Soooo umm I'm not sure what can be done next; I had a link within the admin but that has cooled down for now as well. I would urge people here to email the BOD and let them know whether you support or are against these companies and their position on campus. I have had good or bad experiences email them! Remember I was just a MSU member when I did compile the college pro thread; you guys are free to email the MSU as members!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-19-2009 at 05:29 PM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
MUSC is run as a separate business, so Mac doesn't have much say over what goes into the atrium, I don't think.

I'm sure if people made a big enough stink about it they might reconsider, but as other people have said... money is money to any business.
The way MUSC is structured is that there are 7 voting members. Three from the MSU, one from the Part time Asoc and three from the McMaster administration. So essentially it is jointly owned by everyone. You can lobby the MSU, I'm not sure who from the admin sits on the board but I can find out their emails!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13