MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hard is it to switch from Honours Life Science into Honours Biology? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-31-2013 09:03 PM
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM

Honours Astrophysics - getting in?

Old 05-07-2013 at 05:09 PM   #1
animal math

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Astrophysics - getting in?
Hey, quick question here that I'd be eternally grateful to get some help on.

I just finished my first year at Mac in Physical Sciences I. I applied to a couple of second-year courses, but the one I really want to get into is Honours Physics (Astrophysics specialization)

I've met all the requirements to get into this program except for one, according to the Mac website. (it won't let me post URLs here.)

I finished Astron 1F03 and Math 1B03 already, I have a cumulative average better than a 6.0 and I received at least a C+ in Physics 1BA3. The only problem is that I received only a C in Math 1AA3, and it says I need at least a C+ to get in.

There is a note on the page that says students that have a cumulative average between 5.5 and 5.9 can get in on academic probation - would that apply to getting a slightly-below-what's-needed mark in Math 1AA3 as well? Or am I just boned because I got a C instead of a C+? Also, if I took Math 1AA3 again this summer and received a C+ or better, would that allow me to get in to Honours Physics?

And if anybody here is not sure the answer to this, I'd love to know where to turn to talk to somebody who would. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2013 at 05:31 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal math View Post
Hey, quick question here that I'd be eternally grateful to get some help on.

I just finished my first year at Mac in Physical Sciences I. I applied to a couple of second-year courses, but the one I really want to get into is Honours Physics (Astrophysics specialization)

I've met all the requirements to get into this program except for one, according to the Mac website. (it won't let me post URLs here.)

I finished Astron 1F03 and Math 1B03 already, I have a cumulative average better than a 6.0 and I received at least a C+ in Physics 1BA3. The only problem is that I received only a C in Math 1AA3, and it says I need at least a C+ to get in.

There is a note on the page that says students that have a cumulative average between 5.5 and 5.9 can get in on academic probation - would that apply to getting a slightly-below-what's-needed mark in Math 1AA3 as well? Or am I just boned because I got a C instead of a C+? Also, if I took Math 1AA3 again this summer and received a C+ or better, would that allow me to get in to Honours Physics?

And if anybody here is not sure the answer to this, I'd love to know where to turn to talk to somebody who would. Thanks again.
I believe you may be able to upgrade over the summer. However, you must see an academic advisor (Faculty of science, the room in BSB just across from BSB 147) to arrange this.
Old 05-07-2013 at 07:19 PM   #3
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...14/pg1616.html

I think they have removed the C+ requirement for math 1AA3 based on that link. hopefully you'll be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to ask an advisor.
Old 05-07-2013 at 07:42 PM   #4
animal math

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I believe you may be able to upgrade over the summer. However, you must see an academic advisor (Faculty of science, the room in BSB just across from BSB 147) to arrange this.
Is there anybody that I could call perhaps? I'm back at home 3 hours from Hamilton for the summer though I can make a trip up if I have to so that I can talk to an advisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...14/pg1616.html

I think they have removed the C+ requirement for math 1AA3 based on that link. hopefully you'll be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to ask an advisor.
Oh wow, I'd never seen this page before. I always thought that astrophysics was just a subsidiary of Honours Physics. This gives me some hope, thanks!
Old 05-07-2013 at 08:21 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal math View Post
Is there anybody that I could call perhaps? I'm back at home 3 hours from Hamilton for the summer though I can make a trip up if I have to so that I can talk to an advisor.

Oh wow, I'd never seen this page before. I always thought that astrophysics was just a subsidiary of Honours Physics. This gives me some hope, thanks!
There is. And there are people to email. Just look it up.
Old 05-07-2013 at 11:26 PM   #6
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

If your marks aren't high enough you can take the 1aa3 math course in summer or talk to an adviser and the math department and you can take math 1zb3 which is an anti-requisite to 1aa3. Best bet is to talk to an adviser asap and get help.

Look forward to seeing you in the faculty next year!