MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 39 06-04-2010 08:33 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM

Honours Biology

Old 02-13-2011 at 05:03 PM   #16
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Wow, this is really helpful advice. Yeah I think I might consider doing bio. However, I hope I don't have to do physics too much in that. I'm in 1l03 right now and I'm struggling with it since my tutorials are Monday, where there's always a quiz, but the prof doesn't really teach (And we're behind) plus the textbook doesn't help. Has anyone taken the course and made some decent notes? hahah
same problem last year don't worry just ace the exam!! i did n then no more physics EVER
Old 02-14-2011 at 02:24 PM   #17
AngusLee

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
same problem last year don't worry just ace the exam!! i did n then no more physics EVER
I'm really worried about the midterm haha. The conceptual questions are actually pretty hard. How did you wrap your mind around those when you took the course?
Old 02-14-2011 at 02:26 PM   #18
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
I'm really worried about the midterm haha. The conceptual questions are actually pretty hard. How did you wrap your mind around those when you took the course?
lol ummmmmi didn't i got a 50 on the midterm but i got a 90 on the exam
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:36 PM   #19
AngusLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
lol ummmmmi didn't i got a 50 on the midterm but i got a 90 on the exam
Oh wow, that's crazy. Did you work that much harder? Or he realized he was too hard the first time :(.
Old 02-16-2011 at 08:44 PM   #20
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusLee View Post
Oh wow, that's crazy. Did you work that much harder? Or he realized he was too hard the first time :(.
to be honest i didn't work harder it just made sense to me towards the end of the course one day it just clicked!
Old 02-18-2011 at 07:54 AM   #21
AngusLee

Wow, the midterm was a disaster LOL.
Old 02-18-2011 at 08:33 AM   #22
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Which midterm?
Old 02-18-2011 at 10:06 AM   #23
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Which midterm?
I'm guessing physics?
Old 02-18-2011 at 10:51 PM   #24
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatski-p View Post
I'm guessing physics?
Yeah, it was crazy hahaha.
Old 02-19-2011 at 05:37 PM   #25
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Which Physics?

1B03 was meh.
Old 02-20-2011 at 10:02 PM   #26
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Which Physics?

1B03 was meh.
1L03, I had no idea what happened on the midterm. I could do all the CAPA and tutorial questions but I totally blanked out on the midterm.
Old 02-22-2011 at 08:25 PM   #27
luna

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
After first year, I contemplated the same thing (I was trying to get into vet school, so I needed like an 11-ish average), and I ended up going with Honours Biology (Core) instead of specializing (I was deciding between Physiology - do they still have that? lol - and Genetics). There is no required thesis, and there was a lot of freedom to take what I wanted. I still took 2OA3 anyway, since I thought it would be helpful to prepare for the MCAT, and so in case I had to apply internationally (Ontario residents are only allowed to apply to OVC, you can't apply to any other province's vet school, so if you don't get in Ontario you have to apply out of Canada), I'd still have that organic chem prerequisite covered. The Honours Bio program involved almost all the prerequisite courses I needed to apply, gave you first dibs for other bio courses on the course list that were interesting, and gave me enough flexibility to take other electives required as prerequisites for vet school, and other interesting electives to boost average, lol.

Anyway at the end of the day, if the courses required in the specialization are ones you would be taking anyway, which you find INTERESTING, then go for it. Personally, I found that when taking "easy" electives, there was no point if you didn't give a shit about the topic anyway, you aren't going to study for something you dislike no matter how "easy" it is. I often found that I did better on the required bio or biochem courses than the easy elective, since I tried harder when I assumed the material would be more difficult.

The best thing to do is just to look at all the schools you might be applying to in 3 or 4 years, and make a list of all the prerequisite courses you'll need and any restrictions they have on when you can take them (ex. OVC didn't count summer school courses, you had to have a full courseload or they wouldn't count the course, etc.). Then check the course calendar and make sure the specialization (or non-specialization) will allow you to do all of that, and make sure the course list is one that you are cool with. I'm sure you've already been doing that but yeah just 100% make sure since I know some people who didn't check and now they are in trouble since they're in 4th year and didn't take english 1A03 or something yet, but the school won't count the course if they take it now since it's a first year course .. etc.

Good luck!

So are you saying that taking a previous year course in your current year doesnt have that course count for admission requirement. For example, if your friend took English 1A03 in first year it would count as fulfilling the requirement. But taking in any other year besides the first year makes it not count as fulfilling requirement? What if you take it in summer school after 1st year is over, will it still count?
Old 02-22-2011 at 08:33 PM   #28
luna

Quote:
Wow, this is really helpful advice. Yeah I think I might consider doing bio. However, I hope I don't have to do physics too much in that. I'm in 1l03 right now and I'm struggling with it since my tutorials are Monday, where there's always a quiz, but the prof doesn't really teach (And we're behind) plus the textbook doesn't help. Has anyone taken the course and made some decent notes? hahah
I took the course 1st term and my prof wasn't that good at teaching it and yea the textbook didn't help at all (it just confused me more). But I still found the course to be good because I reviewed my grade 11 physics stuff, which was reall similar to 1L03, and most importantly my TA was the best at teaching us the main concepts. I can say that I pratically passed the course from his help. I think his name was N. Miksys or something like that. If possible maybe you can go to him for help. Good luck though
Old 02-22-2011 at 10:36 PM   #29
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I took the course 1st term and my prof wasn't that good at teaching it and yea the textbook didn't help at all (it just confused me more). But I still found the course to be good because I reviewed my grade 11 physics stuff, which was reall similar to 1L03, and most importantly my TA was the best at teaching us the main concepts. I can say that I pratically passed the course from his help. I think his name was N. Miksys or something like that. If possible maybe you can go to him for help. Good luck though
My midterm went so badly that I don't think I passed haha. I don't really know what to do at the moment. :S. LIAF IS OVAR.
Old 02-24-2011 at 04:06 PM   #30
luna

Quote:
My midterm went so badly that I don't think I passed haha. I don't really know what to do at the moment. :S. LIAF IS OVAR.
do good on tutorial quizes (since they count the most) and study for exam. I found the exam to be bit more difficult than midterm.