MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 39 06-04-2010 08:33 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM

Honours Biology

Old 03-13-2011 at 10:11 PM   #31
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

I'm trying to do well on the quizzes, but I'm struggling with those as well. :S. I'm wondering, what's the difference between honours bio and honours molec. bio. It's almost time to choose a specialization and I'm still deciding between those two or life sciences.
Old 03-14-2011 at 12:06 AM   #32
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times

Hi, i was in the same position as you last year and i was in between bio and neurosci, mol. bio and bio but i ended up choosing honours life sci. I made this choice based on the fact that i wanted more choice in electives and didn't feel like having a huge specialization. I also didn't feel like going into a rather intensive and hard program when I'm looking to try and get the highest marks possible.

However, I still took some of the courses that are part of the other programs in case I consider switching which I don't think I will. This program is good because you don't have to take Orgo or Phys 1B03, and you can choose to do a thesis in your fourth year but its not required.
I still really like this program because the life sci courses are pretty interesting (eg, neurosci, biochem, animal behavior, research methodologies)

Also don't worry so much about Orgo it's really not that bad at all. I am actually enjoying it. All you need to do is practice a lot and the tests reflect that.
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:34 AM   #33
kangs6

Liked: 20 Times

if u r looking at getting into meds/pharmacy, orgo is almost impossible to avoid, you kinda have to take 1 or both sooner or later either at mac or elsewhere, learn to love them =)
Old 03-14-2011 at 02:43 PM   #34
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black.Mamba View Post
Hi, i was in the same position as you last year and i was in between bio and neurosci, mol. bio and bio but i ended up choosing honours life sci. I made this choice based on the fact that i wanted more choice in electives and didn't feel like having a huge specialization. I also didn't feel like going into a rather intensive and hard program when I'm looking to try and get the highest marks possible.

However, I still took some of the courses that are part of the other programs in case I consider switching which I don't think I will. This program is good because you don't have to take Orgo or Phys 1B03, and you can choose to do a thesis in your fourth year but its not required.
I still really like this program because the life sci courses are pretty interesting (eg, neurosci, biochem, animal behavior, research methodologies)

Also don't worry so much about Orgo it's really not that bad at all. I am actually enjoying it. All you need to do is practice a lot and the tests reflect that.
I'm glad hear that you made a choice you were happy with . I have been told that honours bio and honours life sci offer similar levels of elective choice. I don't really want to "Specialize" either since I don't know what exactly I want to do...maybe i"ll choose either one. Is there a required thesis for bio?
Old 06-04-2011 at 11:16 AM   #35
orangeeee_

Liked: 0 Times

hi im planning to go into honours biology in september, and i want to aim for honours biopharm in 3rd year. what kind of courses do you normally take?
so far i have:
Bio 2a03, 2c03, 2b03 and 2d03; Chem 2oa3, 2ob3
and i read that starting 2011 physics 1b03 is needed for bio 2a03, which is crazy because i hear it's a hardcore course. also, stats 2b03 is needed. it's a really heavy workload, and i need a good gpa for biopharm.
anyone who is already in biopharm who can give me advice on courses and easier electives? THANKS!