MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology (Physiology Specialization) vs. Honours Life Sciences Kev.Guo.22 Academics 21 07-03-2012 11:00 PM
Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) Juliann Academics 2 03-08-2011 12:52 PM
Honours Biology and Physiology? VoyozooT Academics 17 07-05-2010 10:45 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Biology - Genetics Specialization rrtt Academics 0 03-22-2009 01:02 PM

Honours Biology vs. Honours Biology (physiology specialization)

Old 04-29-2013 at 01:55 PM   #1
stellena

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Biology vs. Honours Biology (physiology specialization)
I am stuck between these two choices. I do not know what to choose. Help!
Old 04-29-2013 at 02:42 PM   #2
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

In physiology, the upper year physiology courses are most likely requirements for your degree. If you choose regular bio, you can choose not to take them. It really depends on what type of bio you feel most comfortable with. In honours biology, you can have a bit more freedom to choose which bios you want to fulfill your degree requirements.

stellena says thanks to Angoose for this post.

stellena likes this.
Old 04-29-2013 at 02:46 PM   #3
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

Also, the physiology specialization requires a higher average to get in (9.something ish) so based on that, if it doesn't for this year, you can still do honours bio and take the same courses and if your average is higher next year, then transfer.. something like that.

stellena says thanks to celtics_fan for this post.

stellena likes this.
Old 04-29-2013 at 04:20 PM   #4
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

It doesn't really matter in the end unless you plan on doing a thesis or grad school or something in the physio field. I just went into Bio core and ended up taking a bunch of 3rd year physiology courses anyways. Everyone gets the same degree, but if you're sure you want to take all those physio courses (take a look at the undergrad calendar to see what you're gonna have to take), then it might look better in the long run to have that specialization.

stellena says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.

stellena likes this.
Old 04-29-2013 at 04:30 PM   #5
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I was in the honours physiology program and graduated with the honours bio degree because I chose not to take one course that I was not interested in taking. Had I taken that course I would have the glorious distinction of a McMaster Specialization Degree. The practical difference in my life? None.

Sam-I-am, stellena all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.

Old 04-29-2013 at 04:50 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I was in the physiology specialization. It was nice in that I didn't have to fight to get courses that I wanted to get. That said, most BSc programs are the same. Ask yourself what your end goal is.

stellena says thanks to Lois for this post.

stellena likes this.
Old 04-29-2013 at 06:14 PM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

umm.. I thought that the degree you get is the same bio vs bio physio? it doesnt say anything special does it??

as far as i know the only ones that say something special are the mol bio and pharm co-op
Old 04-29-2013 at 06:18 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Your physical degree will say:

Quote:
Bachelor of Science
Honours

Your major isn't listed. If you do co-op, that designation also only appears on your transcript, not the physical degree.

stellena says thanks to starfish for this post.

stellena likes this.
Old 04-30-2013 at 10:07 AM   #9
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

I agree with what everyone has said so far. If you like the courses that Physiology requires then you may as well go into it so you are guaranteed them. Otherwise if you are planning on pursuing schooling or a job that doesn't have to do with either it doesn't make a big difference.

I personally went into it despite planning on applying to other things unrelated to Physiology because doing a masters in on my list of possibilities (also because I like the subject matter obviously). I knew of all the streams I would prefer physiology and would then have all the courses and "degree" to give me a slight upper hand in applying to the labs I would be applying to.

Also just as a side note, I believe your minor is listed on your degree!

stellena says thanks to spyridm for this post.

stellena likes this.
Old 05-01-2013 at 03:31 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyridm View Post

Also just as a side note, I believe your minor is listed on your degree!
No it's not.

Sam-I-am likes this.