MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grade Change actuary_asa Academics 4 08-24-2011 09:24 PM
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Requirement completed in Grade 12 Q sdb23 Academics 6 04-26-2010 12:15 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Commerce Grade Requirement Change

Old 03-01-2013 at 08:22 AM   #1
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Honours Commerce Grade Requirement Change
The following email was sent to all Commerce students today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG ROMBOUGH
Dear Students,

I am pleased to announce that the McMaster Senate has approved the Faculty of Business’ proposal to change the program requirements for the Honours’ Bachelor of Commerce.

Effective September 1st, 2013, the Cumulative Average required to enter the Honours’ B.COM stream will be reduced from a 6.0 to a 5.0.

Current Level III Bachelor of Commerce students may enter the Commerce stream provided they have a CA of 5.0 and meet with an Academic Advisor. This is necessary as there are specific course requirements that must be completed in order to successfully transition into the Honours stream and graduate.

Please contact the Academic Programs Office in DSB104 or by phone at 905-525-9140 ext. 24433 to book an appointment to meet with an Advisor before the end of the term.
I was floored upon reading this. DeGroote's Commerce degree is constantly under fire for being many inadequate things, and this just piles on another one. A 6.0 for Honours was already a laughing stock -- many people were/are already under the false premise that it requires a 7.0. Why? Because it makes sense. Most other Honours programs at Mac alone require a 7.0. Where did this decrease come from? I'm sure its a $$$ reason but I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps to keep students taking Commerce electives so the money flows back into the faculty?

What a joke. Our program's integrity is already suffering due to professors reusing tests, extremely poor quality of professor lectures, very low case discussion, among many, many others, some I'm ashamed to even mention or leak to the public. I rarely show up to any of my classes because they have little to no value to me. Listen to a thick indian accent word for word relay the publisher's slideshow for 3 hours a week? No thanks. Hell, I'd be hard-pressed to believe you couldn't wing your way through this entire program and receive a 5.0 which would grant you the exact same degree as someone busting their balls receiving 90+ on their midterms. The value of a DeGroote degree decreases every single year. It's become the Participation Trophy of Business Schools

If I were ever in a position to recruit I would never even consider a DeGroote candidate.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Phaint : 03-01-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Old 03-01-2013 at 08:43 AM   #2
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I always thought that 6.0 was very low, so when I read the title of this thread, I thought they were increasing it to 7.0, which I would have supported. This is nuts. I sucks to that my money is going towards a program that will decrease in reputability from this. Very disappointed. Is there any way to fight the change? Or is it much too late for that?

biglandfarm, jim1, Phaint like this.
Old 03-01-2013 at 08:43 AM   #3
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Pathetic, this is simply pathetic.

Get out while you can.

hmmm i did not get this email.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 03-01-2013 at 08:45 AM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
The following email was sent to all Commerce students today:
I have not received this email though. :S
Old 03-01-2013 at 08:51 AM   #5
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

can op take a screen shot of the email and post it?

nvm search up degroote honors commerce requirements on google, and click quick view. The pdf file is probably being updated as we speak.

Last edited by biglandfarm : 03-01-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:12 AM   #6
Phaint
Account Locked

biglandfarm, Commie42, shreebee all say thanks to Phaint for this post.

biglandfarm likes this.
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:17 AM   #7
Commie42
Elite Member

Very strange. I have not received it. Are you guys interested in petitioning against this?
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:17 AM   #8
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

I agree with this. I didn't like the program at all first year. second year is better, but still just all intro courses. and it doesn't make sense to me as to why commerce students cannot take any commerce electives in 3rd year, unless in honors. In my opinion the fact that we have to take 15 units of electives (9 if in honors) during 3rd year is really useless. im here for a commerce degree, i dont want to take courses that will not add value and are just a waste of money.
(i think it's similar in 4th year as well)
i always thought that in university, a B.Comm program would require me to take all business courses, didnt know that half my course load would be social science courses. I understand why it was like that first year, but after that it should be just commerce courses.
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:21 AM   #9
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreebee View Post
I agree with this. I didn't like the program at all first year. second year is better, but still just all intro courses. and it doesn't make sense to me as to why commerce students cannot take any commerce electives in 3rd year, unless in honors. In my opinion the fact that we have to take 15 units of electives (9 if in honors) during 3rd year is really useless. im here for a commerce degree, i dont want to take courses that will not add value and are just a waste of money.
i always thought that in university, a B.Comm program would require me to take all business courses, didnt know that half my course load would be social science courses. I understand why it was like that first year, but after that it should be just commerce courses.
That is the purpose of it. It you work hard (not even that hard because 6.0 is low), then you will get into honours and take more commerce courses.

Phaint likes this.
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:21 AM   #10
Phaint
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreebee View Post
Go to Richard Ivey's School of business and you aren't even in Commerce third year until you pass the requisites after 2nd year. And let me tell you the requirements are much, much more strenuous. This is the problem with McMaster. You think just because you are paying you should be eligible to be in any course you choose. You should have to work for it and prove yourself. That is how most higher education institutions operate. You're telling me you were unable to maintain a C+ average (at DeGroote "School of Business" mind you)? Well I tell you that you're ineligible to take some classes.

Even further, in 4th year Commerce I expect my fellow peers to add to the class discussion, that I am paying for and earned. I expect my group members to pull their weight. I'm now not only lumped in with C+ students, but C students as well.

Last edited by Phaint : 03-01-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Commie42 says thanks to Phaint for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:22 AM   #11
shreebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Very strange. I have not received it. Are you guys interested in petitioning against this?
i think this might just be sent to level 3 students, maybe. because i did not get this either (im in second yr)

Commie42, sarah2874 all say thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:31 AM   #12
shreebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
You should have to work for it and prove yourself. That is how most higher education institutions operate. You're telling me you were unable to maintain a C average (at DeGroote "School of Business" mind you)? Well I tell you that you're ineligible to take some classes.
when i say i agree, I mean that i agree with the OP.
(now im getting defensive but...) I can get into the honors program even if the requirement is a 7.0
but i don't think that i should have to take a bunch of elective courses which don't offer me any value whether in honors or not. setting high standards is fine, that's the point of honors.
Old 03-01-2013 at 09:57 AM   #13
ShaneM

Liked: 6 Times

Or you could just ignore it and get 12s anyway while acing the GMATs. Never expect your group to carry their own weight; it'll help get used to potential dynamics in the real world.

shreebee likes this.
Old 03-01-2013 at 10:00 AM   #14
Phaint
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneM View Post
Or you could just ignore it and get 12s anyway while acing the GMATs. Never expect your group to carry their own weight; it'll help get used to potential dynamics in the real world.
By this logic we shouldn't even have entry standards and let everyone in so we get used to the potential dynamics of the "real world." Hell, we should start bussing over convicts.

Regardless, the argument I was initially making is the value of the degree and the ramifications of changes such as these to an already watered down degree.
Old 03-01-2013 at 10:04 AM   #15
ShaneM

Liked: 6 Times

Yeah. Learn how to put the team on your back. It's hilarious how people are saying "who would ever consider someone from DeGroote" when you can still just impress with your own grades and exit exams. If anything, the entire bell curve of grades should shift downwards, allowing people to shine relative to the average. It just isn't relevant for people to cry over having potentially slightly worse group members when it's a relatively easy obstacle to overcome.

If you don't want to work to get into a good school post-B.com, it's no one's fault but your own.

EDIT: For clarification while I do generally agree that the stream should have a higher average requirement, the justification people have for why it should be higher has been rather selfish and ignoring the larger picture. I do agree with your point of the value of just the B.com degree, though I do not agree with how the average of people will mysteriously drop. This may have been a low year as well considering the previously mentioned point of only being sent to Level 3 students. Just buckle up and make your own average even better if you're in the top bracket.

Last edited by ShaneM : 03-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.