MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 39 06-04-2010 08:33 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours PNB

Old 03-06-2012 at 12:26 PM   #1
t.elizabeth

Liked: 0 Times

Honours PNB
Hey guys! So I'm in first year applying to Honours Psych, Neurosci and Behaviour, Honours Biopsych, Honours Bio and Honours Molecular Bio. Does anyone in these programs have any advice? Like courses they really enjoyed or not so much. Also, for people in these programs what was your CA getting in? Thank you so much!
Old 03-06-2012 at 04:22 PM   #2
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I think I had a 9.5 first year and pretty much got into every thing except Chembio.
Old 03-06-2012 at 08:10 PM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Drop by the second year program fair on thursday march 8th at convocation hall, you'll be able to talk to a lot of upper years and profs there about the programs you're interested in!

As for me, I'm actually too lazy to type up an essay long response about what I like/dislike about PNB, so I'll just say this: it's a great program, has around 120 students, 180 counting the specializations and biopsych, and involves a lot of integration of the core subjects in psychology: neuroscience, cognition & perception, and animal behaviour. In upper years you get the chance to do hands-on research in lab based settings in areas as diverse as clinical psychology, evolution, development, music cognition, linguistics, cognition & perception, origins, and etc. The courses in 2nd year are brand new and still under a lot of development, but so far I like them. The average you need to get in really depends on the number of students applying in your year and their averages, but I'd say aim for a 7-8 just to be safe (but make sure your marks in both psychs are good).

Again, if you need more info or want more opinions, do drop by the level II program fair. I'll be there to answer questions and others (including those from other programs) will be as well.

drpatel, t.elizabeth all say thanks to anon491 for this post.

Faer likes this.
Old 03-06-2012 at 09:06 PM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I'll be there too! I'm in BioPsych, and there'll be a bunch of us hanging around all day. Ooburii pretty much covered everything, but I'll just add that it's extremely fun to be in such a close-knit program like PNB! First term in second year was extremely intense, I'll admit, but it leaves you with a sense of accomplishment.

t.elizabeth says thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 03-06-2012 at 09:40 PM   #5
t.elizabeth

Liked: 0 Times

I was definitely planning on dropping by the program fair! So far my lowest has been a 7 (oh chemistry...) and I'm hoping that will be still be my lowest at the end of this term haha. Last term I got a 10 in psych and this term I'm trying for an 11 or 12 so fingers crossed that will be okay. Thank you for your help!
Old 03-06-2012 at 10:48 PM   #6
killza

Liked: 105 Times

I don't know if this is the case for anyone else but I find in psych, it's easier to get average marks (7-9) and much harder to get _good_ marks (10+) relative to other courses like bio. FYI: I'm in biopsych third year.
Old 03-07-2012 at 02:05 AM   #7
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Ahh question to the people in biopsych, would it be wise to go into biopsych if you love human anatomy (physiology and neural anatomy) but hate behavioural, developmental, and evolution (similar to liking Psych 1XX3 but disliking Psych 1x03) Or would it better to stay away from it?
Old 03-07-2012 at 11:40 AM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Ahh question to the people in biopsych, would it be wise to go into biopsych if you love human anatomy (physiology and neural anatomy) but hate behavioural, developmental, and evolution (similar to liking Psych 1XX3 but disliking Psych 1x03) Or would it better to stay away from it?
the only thing that's different about biopsych is that you're doing a biology major as well. There are no special courses for biopsych kids that combine bio and psych. You're just required to take biology courses (and organic chemistry) on top of the psych courses that PNB people take.

And if you look at the biology course lists, you'll see that most of them are based on physiology and cellular biology (and there are others on ecology and evolution).

Psych itself involves looking at things from behavioural, developmental and evolutionary perspectives sometimes so you can't get away from that by doing biopysch. That being said, the part you said you disliked was more of the social psychology stuff I gather (freud, etc.), which we really don't cover in second year PNB because we focus more on cognition, perception, animal behaviour and neuroscience.

my overall advice to you is not to limit your options based on what you think you like or dislike from first year, because psychology is actually way broader than what they show you in intropsych.

Last edited by anon491 : 03-07-2012 at 01:18 PM.