MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd Year Honours Life Science Swampis Academics 6 06-06-2013 09:17 PM
Honours Bio VS Honours Bio w/ Physiology VS Honours Life Science SciGuy Academics 12 06-05-2013 05:31 PM
What does 2nd year honours bio timetable look like? sadeghi94 Academics 2 05-30-2013 09:23 PM
Failed out of my Honours program in third year pogy Academics 3 01-30-2011 10:39 PM
Advice for first year soc sci going into honours econ. samir2 Academics 8 08-02-2010 11:36 PM

Honours VS. 3 Year B.A.

Old 08-26-2014 at 12:46 AM   #1
MariaG

Liked: 0 Times

Honours VS. 3 Year B.A.
Hey everyone. I have a couple of questions regarding the 4 year Honours program VS. the 3 year B.A. program. I'm a little confused and was hoping that someone here could help me understand this a little better.

I'm currently in the 3 year B.A. Political Science program. I applied to the 4 year Honours program at the end of first year but was not accepted at the time. I'm starting my third year but still considered to be in level 2 as I was a part time student last year and am missing a few units. (Confusing, I know....) Anyway, I'm not sure if I would be able to switch into it now or if I would even get accepted for that matter. My average is probably about a C or C- right now. It's definitely stated somewhere online but does anyone know what the required average is to get into the Honours Poli Sci program? How late can we switch into it?

Also, let's say that someone completes a 3 year B.A. program. What does our diploma/degree say? I thought other universities had 4 year B.A. programs. Does this only make a difference if the person plans to complete a masters? Is this 3 year program considered a "pass" program?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014 at 09:56 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Most schools don't offer 3-year programs anymore, although there is talk of maybe going back to that. Typically it's just a 4-year honours program.
All of the information can be found in the course calendar. You needed a 5.0 in first year to get into the honours program in second year, and then once you're in, you need a 5.5 average to continue to third year. If you have between 5-5.5 you'll get placed on probation, which can only happen once before you get kicked out of the program. To get into fourth year of an honours program, you need a 6.0 (and the range for probation is between 5.5 and 6).

It also says: "Students who are not admissible to an Honours program from Level I to Level II, may request admission for the following Fall/Winter academic session. Program entry requirements and academic requirements for continuation at the level for which application is made, must be met. Transfer requests must be made by contacting the Faculty of Social Sciences Associate Dean (Studies) Office in March."
So, if your average is between 4-5, and you're in level 2, you do not meet the requirements to enter level 3 of the honours program at this time. Maybe if you really get your grades up, you'll have a shot by the end of the year.

If you complete a 3-year program, your degree will say "Bachelor of Arts", not "Bachelor of Arts, Honours". At other schools, they ONLY have 4-year honours programs; there are no 4-year non-honours programs.

The difference between hons and non-hons is not just a distinction that matters if you're doing a masters. Some jobs may require an honours degree, or give preference to an honours degree. If you plan on doing some other type of education they may or may not take that into account. Basically there are 4 reasons why people would do a 3-year degree instead of 4-years:
-they were accepted into a professional program after 3rd year and transfer to graduate with a bachelor's so all their work doesn't go to waste
-they know what they want to do after school and/or have a job lined up and a 3-year degree is all that is required
-they cannot do a fourth year due to financial constraints or personal issues and opt to graduate instead of taking a leave of absence
-their grades aren't high enough to get an honours degree.
So, I wouldn't call it a "pass" program, though I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the term. However, it really all depends on what you want to do with your life. Most people probably wouldn't get a job straight out of a honours BA in poli sci either (though there are some decent jobs in government).
Old 08-26-2014 at 06:08 PM   #3
MuFasaChua

Liked: 0 Times

I'm going through a very similar situation. I'm also in Political Science and is going into my third year, and probably my last year because I'm in a BA Program. I was once in H Program but I wasn't able to meet the requirements to continue in third yr H Program so they placed me in BA Program.

And, of course, being in H Program would be a better option (personal preference) as it is and mostly are pre-request to apply for Master or Post-graduate programs not just in Canada but also many other countries as well.

If you really prefer H program, and you are in ur third year (regardless of H / BA Program) you need to boost up your CA to 6.0 by the end of the session to be considered and re-admitted into 4th year H Program.

Hope this help!