MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison of Honours Biology Programs Angoose Academics 4 03-28-2011 12:10 PM
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours VS Non-Honours programs

Old 04-07-2012 at 03:45 PM   #1
Need2knowme

Liked: 0 Times

Honours VS Non-Honours programs
Hi,
I am currently doing Life Science and just selected my programs. I was wondering, what's the difference between Honours Life Science, and regular Life science. I know that honours is for 4 years; while regular is for 3 years; but whats the advantage of taking Honours degree? Does it yield better chance for getting a job or admission in Med school? What are the advantages? Wouldn't it be better to do a 3 year Bsc and do MCAT...?

Also, Is it possible to switch from a honour degree to non honours, or vice verse

ALSO: In the list of programs that we gave in from 1 to 4, are we allowed to choose any program if got selected in all of them. I mean, if i choose life sci to be my 4th option but got my 1st choice lets say honours biochem, can I still go in life sci or the computer automatically puts me in honours bio program?

Thank you Very much

BTW all of you guys here are really helpful!
Old 04-07-2012 at 04:02 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

There are definitely advantages to getting your degree in 4 years, rather than 3. For instance, UoT med won't count two courses from each year with the lowest mark if you have a full course load for four years. Also, some med schools (ie. McGill) requires a four year degree before you can apply.

And yes, if you get into all 4 of your choices, you can pick whichever one you want.

Need2knowme says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 04-07-2012 at 05:15 PM   #3
cwong

Liked: 5 Times

I've always thought of it in this way. It's easier to transfer from honours programs into non-honours.

Need2knowme likes this.
Old 04-07-2012 at 05:32 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2knowme View Post
Hi,
I am currently doing Life Science and just selected my programs. I was wondering, what's the difference between Honours Life Science, and regular Life science. I know that honours is for 4 years; while regular is for 3 years; but whats the advantage of taking Honours degree? Does it yield better chance for getting a job or admission in Med school? What are the advantages? Wouldn't it be better to do a 3 year Bsc and do MCAT...?

Also, Is it possible to switch from a honour degree to non honours, or vice verse

ALSO: In the list of programs that we gave in from 1 to 4, are we allowed to choose any program if got selected in all of them. I mean, if i choose life sci to be my 4th option but got my 1st choice lets say honours biochem, can I still go in life sci or the computer automatically puts me in honours bio program?

Thank you Very much

BTW all of you guys here are really helpful!
Honours does give you a better chance of getting a job related to your field, particularly since most jobs require more than just an undergrad degree. If you apply to med school in third year, and you get in, you can graduate with a BSc anyways because you completed 3 yrs of an honours science program--that way you still get a degree out of it, and at that point what the degree is doesn't really matter. However, if you don't get in, you're set to finish off your honours BSc, which will put you in a better position for pretty much everything. The only advantage I can think of for a 3-yr degree are that you're done sooner.

Need2knowme says thanks to nerual for this post.

elainechan likes this.