MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU Health Insurance amare Body & Food 0 12-07-2012 02:23 PM
health insurance coverage fatcat General Discussion 1 08-17-2012 08:57 PM
Health Insurance Adino First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 10-02-2011 03:16 PM
Question regarding MSU health insurance saeeds5 General Discussion 1 11-11-2009 07:30 PM
Health/Dental insurance? Flag General Discussion 8 11-07-2009 11:36 AM

HSR and Health Insurance Referendums

Old 01-28-2014 at 08:57 PM   #1
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

HSR and Health Insurance Referendums
All info can be found here. The videos are fairly short and informative.

What are everyone's thought? These changes affect everyone, so make sure you vote! These referendums will be on the presidential election ballots.
Old 01-28-2014 at 08:59 PM   #2
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Do you work for MSU?
Old 01-28-2014 at 09:50 PM   #3
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
Do you work for MSU?
Nope.
Old 01-28-2014 at 10:08 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Well having only just started wearing contacts, that could have helped, but I can't collect on it

Oral contraceptive coverage is awesome; baby-making in University is probably something to be avoided, and cash is tight enough as it is...

The 12 month bus pass is something I would have loved to have, but too late. I don't think it would benefit a majority of the students, to be honest, because it's an increase that wouldn't benefit those who are away for the summer at home or vacation. Increased service is always a good thing, and I believe extending services to 3am (and further?) is great for those special nights when you have loads of drunk students. Will definitely take a toll on bus drivers, however.
Old 01-29-2014 at 10:50 AM   #5
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
Nope.
So how come MSU didn't post this thing on MI? Aren't everybody supposed to know about this?

Another MSU fail.
Old 01-29-2014 at 11:37 AM   #6
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Couldn't they have added an option to opt out of the bus passes?
The bus pass is so useless for the people who live off campus (not in Hamilton). All they would have to do is have a different coloured sticker for people who opt out..
Old 01-29-2014 at 11:44 AM   #7
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *spark* View Post
The bus pass is so useless for the people who live off campus (not in Hamilton). All they would have to do is have a different coloured sticker for people who opt out..
It's hardly as simple as just an additional sticker colour. If students could opt out, HSR would be much less likely to agree to the amazingly huge discount. There would likely either be no bus pass at all, or a much more expensive one.
Old 01-29-2014 at 11:57 AM   #8
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
It's hardly as simple as just an additional sticker colour. If students could opt out, HSR would be much less likely to agree to the amazingly huge discount. There would likely either be no bus pass at all, or a much more expensive one.
True..
But still, there are plenty of people who don't use the hamilton buses. It would have been nice if they negotiated the option for people to vote on.
Old 01-29-2014 at 01:38 PM   #9
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
True..
But still, there are plenty of people who don't use the hamilton buses. It would have been nice if they negotiated the option for people to vote on.
It's better to have the option than nothing at all.
Also what makes you think people who use local bus are the minority?
Also don't forget, with how things are going, the university removing parking spots and all, that number will only increase.
Old 01-29-2014 at 01:49 PM   #10
escape

Liked: 38 Times

12 month HSR is soooo good! $6 for 4 months of summer bus service. I really hope people do vote for this option.
Old 01-29-2014 at 02:02 PM   #11
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Every 10 minute service is pointless during the day. Better planning or even schedule adherence, would do a better job than that. Better yet, instead of every 15 minutes during the morning rush, why not do every 10 minutes like the afternoon rush? That would help alleviate all the issues with buses skipping people in the mornings.

3am service wouldn't be bad, but I feel bad for the drivers. That would be a shit show. And it has the potential to hit the cabbies pretty bad, too.

Summer bus pass is lame. The potential for lost revenue seems rather high, which makes this perplexing, but perhaps they have a good idea how few students stick around during the summers and can justify it in that fashion.

Old 01-29-2014 at 04:56 PM   #12
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
hit the cabbies pretty bad, too.
I'd rather use the bus at 3 am than call the cabbie mafia.
Old 01-29-2014 at 10:48 PM   #13
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Quote:
True..
HSR will NOT do the deal if there is the option to opt-out. It's not financially feasible for them to offer such a discounted price if everyone who doesn't use it will opt out. No amount of negotiating will change that.

There is usually the option for no bus pass that people can vote for, but it never wins because most people like having it.
Old 01-29-2014 at 10:59 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
Every 10 minute service is pointless during the day. Better planning or even schedule adherence, would do a better job than that. Better yet, instead of every 15 minutes during the morning rush, why not do every 10 minutes like the afternoon rush? That would help alleviate all the issues with buses skipping people in the mornings.

3am service wouldn't be bad, but I feel bad for the drivers. That would be a shit show. And it has the potential to hit the cabbies pretty bad, too.

Summer bus pass is lame. The potential for lost revenue seems rather high, which makes this perplexing, but perhaps they have a good idea how few students stick around during the summers and can justify it in that fashion.
Well, assuming McMaster has 20,000 full time students, 20,000*$6 = $120,000

Now at a cost of $252 for a summer bus pass, taking $120,000/$252, you get 476 students.

So is it correct to assume there are less than 500 students taking summer school?

This seems to be the only way to justify why the MSU/HSR could compromise this. But on the other hand, the HSR is losing $252 per student who will no longer have to buy a summer bus pass, which is something I can't imagine being financially sane for them to do.......... but only works if these student numbers are right.

476 *$252 = $120,000 obviously, so there's the assumption that there are no more than that many students buying bus passes, which means the HSR is open to trade off the loss of individual bus pass purchase revenue in order to get the $120,000 6 months earlier into the fiscal year and scrap the need to do personal McMaster student bus pass (presented with your student card) along with the administrative logistics that accompany it.

Thinking about it all, it seems pretty reasonable, but if there are more than 476 students purchasing bus passes, the HSR is missing out. Chances are the numbers are much less than 476 purchasing bus passes, which means HSR is getting guaranteed revenue on at least 50% of summer students who would have had a car or walked.

In all, I think this is a plot by the city of Hamilton and Hamilton Street Railway to increase purchases at local business and an overall evil tourism ploy at the benefit of the city, MSU, HSR, and the students.

Last edited by RyanC : 01-29-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2014 at 10:20 AM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Well, assuming McMaster has 20,000 full time students, 20,000*$6 = $120,000

Now at a cost of $252 for a summer bus pass, taking $120,000/$252, you get 476 students.

So is it correct to assume there are less than 500 students taking summer school?

This seems to be the only way to justify why the MSU/HSR could compromise this. But on the other hand, the HSR is losing $252 per student who will no longer have to buy a summer bus pass, which is something I can't imagine being financially sane for them to do.......... but only works if these student numbers are right.

476 *$252 = $120,000 obviously, so there's the assumption that there are no more than that many students buying bus passes, which means the HSR is open to trade off the loss of individual bus pass purchase revenue in order to get the $120,000 6 months earlier into the fiscal year and scrap the need to do personal McMaster student bus pass (presented with your student card) along with the administrative logistics that accompany it.

Thinking about it all, it seems pretty reasonable, but if there are more than 476 students purchasing bus passes, the HSR is missing out. Chances are the numbers are much less than 476 purchasing bus passes, which means HSR is getting guaranteed revenue on at least 50% of summer students who would have had a car or walked.

In all, I think this is a plot by the city of Hamilton and Hamilton Street Railway to increase purchases at local business and an overall evil tourism ploy at the benefit of the city, MSU, HSR, and the students.
I more think they do it because either way the buses will run past Mac and not all summer students that live in the area will necessarily get the pass. It guarantees them funding so they can better plan ahead and the buses passing through Mac will likely not be filled to capacity so it will not cost them much more since they may not change the frequency of the buses due to other commuters from Dundas and other areas

huzaifa47 likes this.