MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinion on the MSU lorend General Discussion 14 11-18-2009 12:53 AM
Opinion Please frantic General Discussion 5 05-06-2009 01:36 AM
Does anyone know how many GO stops there are at Mcmaster? Thanks everyone! Arnold General Discussion 3 09-03-2008 10:17 PM
Need opinion on a design Chad General Discussion 14 05-30-2008 09:19 AM

HSR bus stops - your opinion now

Old 11-10-2009 at 04:13 PM   #46
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
McMaster should gut under the entire open part of campus. They should make a tunnel system linking all buildings on campus to under the main open grass area. They should also make it so the buses drive down there to pick up students.

No one has to stand out in the rain/snow to wait for the bus.

You will be able to walk across campus without working about motor vehicles.

If it is snowing or raining, you can walk from ABB to CNH without getting wet.

It would also give the university an opportunity to show off newer "green" architecture.

All the walls could be "living walls" in the main areas/hallways More study space, more class space, more lab space.
I don't think this is ever going to happen... it would take a long time to build and it would cost tons of money. Tuition is high enough as it is and I wouldn't want to see it go up anymore than what it is currently increasing at.

But it is a good plan and it would be cool if I was wrong.
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:26 PM   #47
escape

Liked: 38 Times

is there a way we as students can stop university from taking away campus bus stops? It would really suck walking 10 mins in winter just to get to the bus stop! Not to mention its a waste of time and can potentially increase CO2.
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:32 PM   #48
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Alright now you're just throwing CO2 in there for s&g.

As far as "stopping the university" from doing this, has it been shown that the university is doing this? My understanding is that it's an HSR decision and not the university that's saying the buses aren't going to be on campus anymore.
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:32 PM   #49
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I think the most effective way would be to get a petition signed by thousands of students, and present it to the University (perhaps with the assistance of the MSU)?
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:33 PM   #50
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post

As far as "stopping the university" from doing this, has it been shown that the university is doing this? My understanding is that it's an HSR decision and not the university that's saying the buses aren't going to be on campus anymore.
No, it's the university that wants the buses off campus. The HSR doesn't care either way.
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:35 PM   #51
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I see, do you have a link to the decision?

adrian says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 11-10-2009 at 05:42 PM   #52
Taunton
Elite Member

My mistake, the HSR and the University are working together on this one... I don't have a direct link to the decision, but attached is the MSU's stance on the subject (spearheaded by Andrew Richardson [current VP admin] last year).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MSU Policy Statement on Transit Final Last.pdf (33.7 KB, 12 views)

DannyV says thanks to Taunton for this post.
Old 11-10-2009 at 06:30 PM   #53
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
There are so many people riding on the sidewalks for no good reason. Whether on campus or off, I've had many a time when I was walking and a bike zoomed past me from behind.

I find it ridiculous that people don't understand this: bikes belong on the road. Stop being a douche and ride on the road like the rest of us.
I didn't bring my bike to school this year, but when I brought it last year I only rode on the sidewalk pretty much. There isn't enough room on Main to ride a bike safely, you need to ride on the sidewalk. Or maybe I'm just cautious to a fault.

Personally, I love the idea of making Mac an all pedestrian campus, for both aesthetic and practical reasons. I really don't see how its a bid deal for people to walk the extra five minutes to get to an off campus bus stop... (and that's five minutes for the slowest of walkers).
Old 11-10-2009 at 06:43 PM   #54
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
I see, do you have a link to the decision?
The University obviously won't announce stuff like this. It is the VP Admin with whom I've had a conversation regarding this issue since I might possibly be looking into updating/expanding this policy. But the current one is a pretty good rough picture of where the MSU stands on it.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 11-10-2009 at 06:56 PM   #55
Ski Freak16

Liked: 1 Time

Buses>No Buses

Rossclot says thanks to Ski Freak16 for this post.

Rossclot likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 07:38 PM   #56
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

I'd like to see a well defined set of bike paths on campus. For the hundreds of normal people, a few *******s with bikes make it a problem for everyone. One example is people riding their bike between the MUSC/CNH and Hamilton Hall. I've seen people riding their bikes through when it is so crammed that people walking almost slowed down to a stop. Eeep.

I used to think people who got on the bus at the Mills library only to get off two stops later on Sterling were lazy *******s. Sometimes people wouldnt be able to get on a bus because of those people. Well, I thought that way until I hurt my feet. I somehow pissed off my plantar fascia and walking was painful. The only way for it to get better was to use my feet as little as possible. So I would get on at Mills after a day of school work in the library and get off two stops later. I realized not everyone jumping off the bus after two stops were *******s. This happened recently so you can imagine how pissed off I was at the strike because they had taken away my bus, and made it so the bus didnt come anywhere near my house for when I had to get groceries.

Buses on campus are great. Maybe we should have seperate stops though. Like one for the 51, one for the 5, one for the 1. That way you wont get people just wanting to get downtown taking the spot of someone who needs a specific bus to get home.

Ski Freak16 likes this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 07:50 PM   #57
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:

Yeah, HSR decided to take the B-line off campus, because university wouldn't do something they wanted, I forget what.
Anyways I don't care if they do, except I dont want all the students going down on Main to catch the bus! That would be very unsafe. The route they had during the strike was good.

As for the bikers on campus, one thing that makes me mad about them is that they don't stop at the stop sign. They think they have the right of way. Im more scrared of them than the buses, its much easier to see a bus. People on bikes generally have a self-righteous attitude with them, so I understand.
Old 11-10-2009 at 08:12 PM   #58
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I think the most effective way would be to get a petition signed by thousands of students, and present it to the University (perhaps with the assistance of the MSU)?
Actually, I hear the most effective way to influence administration is to strike... oh wait... too soon?

adrian, DannyV, Taunton like this.
Old 11-10-2009 at 08:14 PM   #59
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Actually, I hear the most effective way to influence administration is to strike... oh wait... too soon?
AWESOME!

Internet five!

(PS: note to Chad... lack of high-five emoticon is disappointing)
Old 11-10-2009 at 08:21 PM   #60
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Olol.

Sometimes I stand at the mills bus stop just to get off at haddon, LOL.
Meh, whatever. I paid for a bus pass, I'm gonna use it. And after being at school from 8:30-3:30 on tuesdays, sometimes I just don't feel like walking. Tough. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.