MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Apps? -Ish- General Discussion 4 12-17-2011 04:45 PM
Cool Android Apps Pay919 Computers & Tech 36 08-12-2011 07:21 PM
PSYCH 1X03 TA apps. ario.m Academics 2 02-21-2011 10:45 AM
School,spare time, and real life. Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 48 08-31-2010 09:14 PM
Facebook to allow third-party apps Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 05-25-2007 11:54 PM

HSR Real-Time Apps

Old 08-26-2014 at 02:35 AM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

HSR Real-Time Apps
I just checked up on this, out of curiosity, since I haven't been keeping up with Hamilton news much this summer -- it seems GPS data was made open, and an app competition was held at the end of July to develop a real-time HSR tracking app. But Googling has only lead me to one iStore app with 2.5 stars...

Anyone have any further insight?

I certainly don't expect anyone to be producing a BlackBerry 10 app, but an Android app that I might sideload, would be wonderful.

adaptation likes this.
Old 08-26-2014 at 12:04 PM   #2
AlicJ

Liked: 2 Times

Wasn't in Hamilton at that time. But could be an idea for the Hackathons in October.
Old 08-26-2014 at 12:04 PM   #3
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Lol, they only held the hackathon for 4 hours. If they think a decent app can be developed in 4 hours, ain't gonna happen.

The Transit app guys will probably update their app to use their data though.
Old 08-26-2014 at 12:46 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

That's actually ridiculous...

Hamilton finally puts out GPS data for its transit system, and it can't even coordinate the development of an application that uses that data -- not even by means of open calls for developers...

I was sincerely hoping to start using an app when I came back... Some of the small cities in far eastern Europe have better transit systems than Hamilton.
Old 08-26-2014 at 03:28 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

You're overestimating how much city hall cares :/ open data is something people have been chasing after for yeaaaars and the city only grudgingly gave it up now (soon to be released for the garbage trucks as well). they're not interested in actually making something of it themselves. Transparency and efficiency of information access are the last things they care about.

iirc though there were apparently 11 apps developed during that hackathon that were set to be released over the summer? I remember seeing Joey Coleman tweet about it. He's pretty much leading the Open data initiative so your best bet is to try contact him on twitter/on his site to see where that went.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/47...rrived-almost/
Old 08-26-2014 at 03:32 PM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Found this. It's not an app but... You can bookmark it on your phone if you have data I guess.

http://realtime-hsr-map.cloudapp.net/
Old 08-26-2014 at 03:50 PM   #7
Farhaan

Liked: Liked 8 Times

Real-time tracking of HSR buses has been available since May here:
http://busweb.hamilton.ca:80 08/hiw...lTimeDi splay

But, not an app (i.e. you'll need a Flash-enabled browser to view it on iOS/Android devices)