MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTH SCI 4DM3/Demystifying Medicine mike4 Academics 5 12-12-2013 04:44 PM
HTH SCI 3I03 or HTH SCI 3K03 SashDoods Academics 7 08-25-2011 07:19 AM
Need Hth Sci 3k03 mk90 Academics 0 08-15-2011 06:58 AM
Hth Sci 3p06 tjcody Academics 4 06-10-2011 01:01 PM
Anyone taken health sci 3Y03 (history of medicine)??? kelsang General Discussion 1 08-11-2009 09:12 PM

HTH SCI 4DM3 Demystifying Medicine

Old 12-12-2015 at 12:46 PM   #1
nguyem2

Liked: 0 Times

HTH SCI 4DM3 Demystifying Medicine
Hey I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the difficulty of the course and whether or not they enjoyed taking it
Old 12-14-2015 at 12:33 AM   #2
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

It was a very laid back course, with flexible direction in your assigned projects. The aim was to make scientific materials accessible to the general public (i.e. presenting in layman's terms), which is definitely trickier than you might imagine giving how much we assume is general knowledge coming from a science background.

I had Dr. Ask, who was terrific, and our group largely focused on making accessible materials on the pathology of lung cancer. In fact, we were set up with a pathologist at St. Joe's who brought us with him to film how tissues taken during surgery could be stained, frozen and assessed immediately for cancerous cells (to determine margins, should the surgeon need to cut further).

It was a pretty great experience and the (infrequent) required seminars were always on different topics, which was quite enjoyable. Definitely take it if you want an easy going, interesting course.
Old 12-24-2015 at 12:10 AM   #3
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Took it last year and it was definitely an enjoyable course. I thought the workload was a bit heavier than I expected, but still manageable, and was probably only because of the effort we wanted to put into our finished products. Making short 10 minute skits actually required a lot of preparation and editing, but from that I gained many skills that I would not have been able to gain through a regular science course. Like what the above poster said, translating scientific content into language that the general public can understand (ie. at the high school level) is actually tricker than you might think. The course also focuses on developing and improving your teamwork skills through class-based discussions, critiques and during the group projects.

The Demystifying Medicine Series were mandatory, and actually quite enjoyable as many different topics are presented, and you really get to see how they try to bridge basic science with the clinical aspects of health care. You will get to work with fantastic researchers in the field depending on your project, which is great if you want to make some connections.

Overall, I would recommend the course. It's definitely a break from the traditional content heavy science courses which can be a stress-reliever. In addition, the coordinators of the course are really flexible and understanding in terms of the due dates of the assignments. The course is very student centric and you will definitely gain some new skills that you wouldn't have otherwise in a regular science course.