MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting a Job on Campus? Hanna Volunteering Opportunities 6 10-14-2010 02:44 PM
Fax on Campus Pay919 General Discussion 3 11-02-2009 03:57 PM
DC++ Off Campus Waaaaataccc General Discussion 16 11-28-2008 10:57 AM
Getting Around Campus Mariah First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-15-2008 01:11 PM
USB hubs lorend Computers & Tech 4 08-14-2007 05:30 PM

Hubs for DC++ on campus

Old 08-13-2007 at 09:17 AM   #1
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

Hubs for DC++ on campus
where can i find hubs for dc++ (on campus)
Old 08-13-2007 at 12:56 PM   #2
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

If you're in residence, then you'll be hearing about the internal hub that gets set up by upper-year students shortly after you move in - it's a word of mouth thing, but the info spreads fast. The hub address can change year-to-year, so that's pretty much the only way to go about it. If you're not in rez, then I'm not aware of any DC++ hubs that have ever run on the normal "academic" network across the rest of campus - they control that one pretty tightly.
Old 08-13-2007 at 09:27 PM   #3
lucc

Liked: 0 Times

The hub address will be made known once it's all up and running, and as far as I know you won't be able to connect to any other public hubs while in residence.

Since I'm living off-campus this year, I plan on visiting some friends' rooms who live in residence to use their DC++ from time to time!
Old 08-13-2007 at 11:20 PM   #4
mike_2133

what is dc++? i hear it's a pretty big deal on campus.
Old 08-14-2007 at 01:50 AM   #5
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

It's a file-sharing program like Limewire or the old KaZaa, and it's run on the internal residence network so it's blazing fast. You can download a song in a couple of seconds, or a movie in a few minutes. You can download it for free here: http://dcplusplus.sourceforg e.net/

You can actually use it just as a normal file-sharing program off campus on the regular internet, too, but you'll need to know the address of a public hub to connect to (you wouldn't be able to connect to the internal Mac hub from an off-campus computer), and it wouldn't be nearly as fast.

Last edited by Cippi : 08-14-2007 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-14-2007 at 09:28 AM   #6
mgallant

i just wanted to make sure (i've asked this in a facebook group before), but is DC++ compatible with mac OS X?
Old 08-14-2007 at 11:15 AM   #7
lucc

I think if you have a Mac you have to use a different program called ShakesPeer, but it works the exact same way as DC++ and lets you connect to everyone else on the hub. However you might want to verify this because it's just what I heard, I'm not sure about it at all.
Old 08-14-2007 at 11:32 AM   #8
mgallant

alright, awesome. thanks!
Old 08-16-2007 at 12:03 AM   #9
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

dc++ is basically just allows lan access to another computer on the same floor or a different residence. It links up all the ppl that logon to the application and you can search for what files they decided to share.