MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy First Year Electives Curly-2 Academics 557 09-21-2013 05:34 PM
Easy 2nd Year Electives ginaj Academics 11 12-24-2011 10:15 AM
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM

Humanities - Communication and Multimedia, need easy electives for first year!

Old 06-14-2012 at 07:59 PM   #1
kaitlynnjade

Liked: 0 Times

Humanities - Communication and Multimedia, need easy electives for first year!
Soo I'm trying to choose my courses for next year, and I'm so confused! I'm in Humanities I and the required courses I'm going to take are Communication Studies (CMST 1A03), both Multimedia Studies courses (MMEDIA 1A03 AND 1B03) and Cultural Studies and Critical Thinking (CSCT 1CS3). You only need four right?
And I have nooooo clue what elective I should take, and am I allowed to take ANY open courses from different faculties? And which ones are the easiest, ahh help please!
P.s for Level II Humanities I'm looking at the Communications and Multimedia double major...clearly lol.
Old 06-14-2012 at 08:04 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlynnjade View Post
Soo I'm trying to choose my courses for next year, and I'm so confused! I'm in Humanities I and the required courses I'm going to take are Communication Studies (CMST 1A03), both Multimedia Studies courses (MMEDIA 1A03 AND 1B03) and Cultural Studies and Critical Thinking (CSCT 1CS3). You only need four right?
And I have nooooo clue what elective I should take, and am I allowed to take ANY open courses from different faculties? And which ones are the easiest, ahh help please!
P.s for Level II Humanities I'm looking at the Communications and Multimedia double major...clearly lol.
Yep, you need four 3 unit courses (12 units total).
And yes, you can take any course for which you have the prereqs.
There are so many courses, it's impossible to pick a few "easiest" ones. Many people find econ 1B03/1BB3 easy...I would probably hate my life if I took one of those courses because I absolutely hate econ Look at what you're interested in...also any upper year courses you want to take that may have first-year prereqs (such as any upper year sociology or anthro courses). Also consider what you want to do after you graduate. If it involves more school, what prerequisite courses do you need?
Those can be part of your electives as well.

kaitlynnjade says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-14-2012 at 08:08 PM   #3
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

Yes, you can take any open class. Often, humanities students take some social science courses and vice versa. Personally, I found cultural studies pretty easy. Not that I would want to encourage a first year in a course but I did nothing and got a 10. Although its not the same prof, i'm sure the content stays the same. Personally, I would avoid histories because you have to put alot of work into it to get a good mark. Geographies & Health & aging are pretty simple just time consuming. Religious Studies 1D06 was by far my favorite first year class. The prof is amazing and she makes an effort to know her good students on a first name basis. Not exactly common for a first year class. I would recommend anthro classes too but they've changed (the profs are the same) so i'm sure they're just as good! Hope I've helped!

kaitlynnjade says thanks to Con19 for this post.
Old 06-14-2012 at 11:26 PM   #4
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con19 View Post
Personally, I found cultural studies pretty easy. Not that I would want to encourage a first year in a course but I did nothing and got a 10.Although its not the same prof, i'm sure the content stays the same.
That's definitely not true of all Cultural Studies courses. I know people majoring in English that refuse to take CSCT courses because they're so different/difficult. Also, most profs do change course content to gear it more towards their area of research. For instance, I had heard that, for 2MM3, the online unit was very long and was done mostly through the guise of Second Life. However, my class this year barely touched on it, and it was through the prism of PostSecret.
For electives, I suggest finding something that interests you. Really do your research, because if you take courses that someone says is "an easy -insert high grade here-", you may end up hating it and doing much worse in it than you had thought you would.

kaitlynnjade says thanks to J. Dorey for this post.
Old 07-05-2012 at 09:08 AM   #5
chryslad

Liked: 5 Times

I'll be going into fourth year Communications in September and I remember Inquiry 1HU3, Anthro 1A03, Sociology 1A06 being easy first year courses. Inquiry didn't have a midterm or exam and I just remember the teacher putting on movies for a lot of classes.

Psych 1X03 was not necessarily easy, but I found it to be really interesting and definitely a worthwhile course. This class is online, and was made up of weekly quizzes, attendance and participation in tutorial and an exam. I went into the exam with a 12 (I got lucky with the quizzes and participation was easy marks) and ended up with a 10 in the course - the exam was killer. I would suggest taking it if it interests you!