MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Humanities questions! CSpad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 07-23-2013 01:54 PM
Spanish 1A03? shaber1 Academics 0 06-12-2012 07:34 PM
spanish tutor! NatalyaOtaku Academics 3 11-29-2011 03:29 PM
Spanish 1Z06, anyone? YousifK Academics 1 05-28-2011 05:16 PM
Minor in Spanish? notredame Academics 6 03-13-2008 10:32 PM

Humanities questions- Spanish or polisci

Old 08-22-2013 at 10:16 PM   #1
CSpad

Liked: 0 Times

Humanities questions- Spanish or polisci
Hi! I'm going into first year humanities and I have some questions.

I'm currently taking:

Term 1: French, Linguistics I, Classics, Anthro (1AB3), (Latin that I'm dropping)
Term 2: French, Linguistics II, English Short genres, English long genres, (philosophy that I'm dropping.)

First and foremost, I requested a seat in both Political science and Beginners Spanish. I couldn't choose which I wanted, but I figured I'd only get into one (if any) and my decision would be made for me. But I just got an email and now I have a seat in both classes. Which should I choose? I don't know what I want to major in.

I'm thinking Spanish because I want to learn languages, and I feel like I'd be practical too, since so many people (including in the US) speak it.

I'm thinking Poli-sci because since I don't know what I want to major in, I wanted to take a variety of courses. I'm already taking a language, and I'm not taking anything like Poli-sci, and it seems interesting. Also my brother in 3rd year said he loved it, and he thinks I'd like it too.

I don't know what to choose!

Secondly, (and this tied to the first question), I was wondering what majors I'm eligible for with the current classes I'm taking. Would taking Spanish over poli-sci (or vice versa) change this?

I have no idea what I want to do with my life, I just want to learn as many useful things as possible in university. I'm conflicted!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-22-2013 at 11:35 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Based on you current courses, you can major in either Linguistics, English and Classics. Since you already have French as one of the languages you're taking (I believe you said this is 1Z06), It's best to go for Poli-Sci so that you have a diversity in your course choices. Even though I myself I have taken several languages at once, I wouldn't recommend it because it will get confusing and you start mixing it up from time to time.

Don't worry, I was just like you when I was in my first year. I didn't know what to do in my life but I manage to choose my major in the end which was Linguistics then Geography afterwards. When in doubt, if you get in to a 4 year program aka honours program, minor in something that is also an interest to you so that least you're not limited to just one set of courses.

Note: Linguistics is only offered as a 4 year program (Honours B.A.) while English and Classics can be offered as a 4 year (Honours B.A.) or 3 year (B.A.) program.

*If you chose Poli-Sci over Spanish, you can also try to major on that if you like it. This also has either go for a4 year (Honours B.A.) or 3 year (B.A.) program.*

Last edited by akikokoyoki : 08-22-2013 at 11:45 PM.

CSpad says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.

CSpad likes this.
Old 08-23-2013 at 09:45 PM   #3
CSpad

Thank you! So if I decided on a Linguistics major, it'd be okay to only have one language (besides English of course) in my repertoire?
Old 08-26-2013 at 02:55 AM   #4
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpad View Post
Thank you! So if I decided on a Linguistics major, it'd be okay to only have one language (besides English of course) in my repertoire?
There are two streams in linguistics: Honours Linguistics and the Cognitive Science of Language. Honours Linguistics focuses on languages in greater detail and how it's build while Cognitive Sci is more on the Psychology aspect to it.

So in Honours Linguistics, you are more focus on learning different languages and part of the requirements in this degree is completing 6 units of level 1 beginners language course and 12 units of upper year language courses. To complete this degree, you need at least 2 languages to learn. Whatever language you want to focus on learning, take the upper year courses for it and take a beginners language course of another language along with it.

Before I switched programs, the language I focused on was Japanese. So, I took both 2nd year and 3rd year Japanese courses to further my studies in Japanese since I took the beginners level in my first year. As for level 1 language course, I took Spanish 1Z06 to cover that part of the degree. The language courses I took in my first year didn't really count towards my linguistics degree but in Humanities I. So the language courses you're taking in your first year will only count in Humanities I not Linguistics major.

As for Cognitive Science, I think you take more Psychology classes with that degree because it is focus on how the brain is able to learn language. So if you want this stream of linguistics, it is ideal to take the first year psychology classes as it will help you throughout. Don't worry about not fitting them in your timetable, you can just take them in the summer time if you wish to do so.

CSpad likes this.
Old 08-26-2013 at 03:11 PM   #5
CSpad

So for Honours Linguistics, you mean in first year you take 6 units of a beginners course (like French, in my case), and then in upper years you take 12 units of languages? Like for example, first year you take French, second year you take Japanese, third year you take Japanese again? Thanks for your answer, but I'm quite confused.

Also, for Cognitive Science of Language, do you need biology or anything in science or math?
Old 08-26-2013 at 06:08 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpad View Post
So for Honours Linguistics, you mean in first year you take 6 units of a beginners course (like French, in my case), and then in upper years you take 12 units of languages? Like for example, first year you take French, second year you take Japanese, third year you take Japanese again? Thanks for your answer, but I'm quite confused.

Also, for Cognitive Science of Language, do you need biology or anything in science or math?
Almost. What i meant is in your case, you're taking French 1Z06. See, French has a different stream when it comes to do a further study of it. What I meant is that if you choose to take a further study in French, you take 2Z06 (Intermediate Intensive French) then take 2M06 (Introduction to French Studies: Advanced Level). If you choose to further your studies in French, this is the path you have to go through. If Honours Linguistics is going to be your program, this will cover the 12 units of upper year language courses as I mention on my last post. Refer to the picture in this website to see what I mean: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...14/pg1789.html

In my case I took Japanese 1Z06 in my first year. When I entered Honours Linguistics, in my second year I took Japanese 2Z03 and 2ZZ3. In my third year I took 3Z03 and 3ZZ3. This then covered my 12 units of upper year courses. While working on my Linguistics degree, I took Spanish 1Z06 in the summer time and this finished my language requirements.

Now you don't have to do what I did. Since you're taking French 1Z06 in first year, you can take lets say French 2Z06 in your upper year (example in your second year) and stop there if you want or continue (whichever you desire). Then take a level 1 beginners intensive language course (probably the same time as french or your third year), say Spanish 1Z06 then go on and take the second year level of Spanish (2Z03 and 2ZZ3). In this path I describe to you covers the language requirements I told you in my last post.

This of course depends on how many language you want to learn and how interested you are in learning them. Of course, it's not just language courses you take. You also take upper year Linguistic courses as well.

As for Cognitive Sci, you don't really need to have a background on biology and math. But it is essential to have Biology handy if you're planning on taking Psychology. Preferably, Grade 12 Biology and if you took this course in highschool, you'll be fine. If you have any more question, feel free to ask.

For further information, look in this website: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...rgraduate.html

CSpad likes this.