MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Courses required for reinstatement kakarot First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 02-06-2013 10:34 AM
Not taking required courses jwhitehousee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 11-30-2011 02:22 PM
required courses for med school byulnim First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-13-2011 10:44 PM
How many 2nd and 3rd year courses are you required to take? snair Academics 4 05-27-2011 10:16 AM
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM

What if I can't get into my required courses yet?

Old 06-15-2013 at 10:01 PM   #1
goldenx

Liked: 1 Time

What if I can't get into my required courses yet?
Just wondering, if I don't have all my required courses since they are full and the Associate Dean have yet to respond back to my email, should I just select random courses on SOLAR to to fill up space (to 30 units). What should I do in this situation..Thanks for the help!
Old 06-15-2013 at 10:42 PM   #2
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

you have to be able to. you are guaranteed a spot.
Old 06-16-2013 at 12:38 AM   #3
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

I usually contact the department's Administrator or Administrative Assistant (I've always been forwarded to either when I could not get required courses). First try calling Administrator/assistant of your program's department see what they can do. If they can't help you, they might tell you to contact the department which offers the course (E.g. to get a seat in a computer science course you might have to contact the Department of Computing and Software ).

You are more likely to get a quick response from them than the associate dean.

I also recommend you call them rather than e-mail.

Also, if you are applying for osap then it would be safer to fill up the spaces with other electives or required upper year courses that you want to take in case you don't get into your other required courses, just so you are able to confirm a payment agreement indicating that you are a full-time student.

Last edited by user9753 : 06-18-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2013 at 08:20 AM   #4
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by user9753 View Post
Also, if you are applying for osap then it would be safer to fill up the spaces with random units if you can't get into your required courses just so you are able to confirm a payment agreement indicating that you are a full-time student.
There is something wrong with this situation! People can't get into courses they want because spaces are taken. Spaces are taken by people who are simply registering in courses to satisfy some byzantine requirement of OSAP, not because they intend to take the course. This manoeuvre distorts the picture for the departments that are scrambling to assess the real demand for their courses.

The desirable way for things to work out would be that people would wait for departments to provide the spaces for the students that really want to take the courses. Of course, the departments don't know for sure until they get a sense of the demand and have a chance to react. Conceivably, this could take much of the summer. Actually, nobody should panic right now, if all have confidence in the wisdom and ability of the departments to provide the correct number of seats in September. Do we? Then why the panic with OSAP?

goldenx, Kudos all say thanks to oldviking for this post.
Old 06-16-2013 at 08:23 AM   #5
goldenx

Liked: 1 Time

thanks so much!
Old 06-18-2013 at 05:20 PM   #6
user9753
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldviking View Post
There is something wrong with this situation! People can't get into courses they want because spaces are taken. Spaces are taken by people who are simply registering in courses to satisfy some byzantine requirement of OSAP, not because they intend to take the course. This manoeuvre distorts the picture for the departments that are scrambling to assess the real demand for their courses.
Agreed, it can definitely give the departments a headache if many people do this.