MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can I still drop a course right now? incarnation Academics 1 11-18-2010 03:17 PM
Need to take a full course and drop a course? sdiddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-01-2010 03:19 PM
What's going on with the drop deadline? georgeb.1990 Academics 19 11-20-2009 12:53 AM
Where do I drop a course? georgeb.1990 Academics 5 11-05-2008 03:14 PM
Last day to drop? shleyaa Academics 1 08-13-2008 07:33 PM

If I drop out right now...

Old 01-05-2011 at 04:44 PM   #1
Comrade B

Liked: Liked 3 Times

If I drop out right now...
Will the marks I earned first semester be used in my GPA calculation? Or is it year by year?

I'm crossing my fingers it's the latter...
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:28 PM   #2
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

No, it's not, unfortunately. The marks you got from your first semester are permanently on your transcript. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I won't beat around the bush. My recommendation is do as best as you can this semester because it will be hard to get back into school if you drop out now and have bad marks. They heavily value improvement.
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:39 PM   #3
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Dude, don't drop out unless you "have" to...you can always rebound back

There are students who bombed their first year but still made it to professional school because they made up for it in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:40 PM   #4
Comrade B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
No, it's not, unfortunately. The marks you got from your first semester are permanently on your transcript. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I won't beat around the bush. My recommendation is do as best as you can this semester because it will be hard to get back into school if you drop out now and have bad marks. They heavily value improvement.
Damn...thanks for the honesty man.

It's just that I really hate what I'm doing and I don't know if I can survive an extra semester...I was planning to transfer to a new program and start anew at a closer institution, which would have been feasible with my first year marks, but this previous semester really destroyed my GPA...

If I do transfer successfully, my marks are practically reset since the transfer credits won't have a grade attached to them; that's my motivation basically.
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:41 PM   #5
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Go talk to your faculty advisor asap.
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:44 PM   #6
Comrade B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Dude, don't drop out unless you "have" to...you can always rebound back

There are students who bombed their first year but still made it to professional school because they made up for it in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.
It's definitely heartening to hear but it's this second year that I'm bombing and rapidly losing interest in.

It pretty much revolves around my hatred of the program to be honest.
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:50 PM   #7
Comrade B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Go talk to your faculty advisor asap.
Will do.
Old 01-05-2011 at 05:54 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Why so hate science?

Old 01-05-2011 at 06:02 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Why so hate science?
Maybe he doesn't hate it, but doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in the field. Even I'm slowly starting to hate some of it -___-

@OP- Definitely contact the academic advisors and book an appointment (BSB-129) as soon as possible! Explain your situation and what your point of view is and they'll guide you through what's the best thing to do.
Old 01-05-2011 at 06:05 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

What program would you prefer to go in? You can drop your courses and pick up ones that match some of the degree requirements for the program you want?

What sciences are you in?
Old 01-05-2011 at 06:07 PM   #11
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade B View Post
It's definitely heartening to hear but it's this second year that I'm bombing and rapidly losing interest in.

It pretty much revolves around my hatred of the program to be honest.
Are you in Life Science? I am not sure how I can help out but I do share your feelings. Last semester, I stayed up all night finishing bio lab report by myself because my partner bailed out on me from the start. I had no motivation whatsoever, I wanted to say, "screw this" but still did it anways...the thing the helps me going is just think about happy things. lol, I know it is stupid but I remember that scene from this movie when the main character sings this song "My favorite things" So I think about upcoming movies to watch, watching an exciting sporting event and even eating comfort food the next day. It gives me lil booster which goes a long way. But if you are truly unmotivated and feels like you need to redeem yourself, maybe starting over again fresh is a good idea. It is good to be idealistic yet practical.
Old 01-05-2011 at 06:10 PM   #12
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
Are you in Life Science? I am not sure how I can help out but I do share your feelings. Last semester, I stayed up all night finishing bio lab report by myself because my partner bailed out on me from the start. I had no motivation whatsoever, I wanted to say, "screw this" but still did it anways...the thing the helps me going is just think about happy things. lol, I know it is stupid but I remember that scene from this movie when the main character sings this song "My favorite things" So I think about upcoming movies to watch, watching an exciting sporting event and even eating comfort food the next day. It gives me lil booster which goes a long way. But if you are truly unmotivated and feels like you need to redeem yourself, maybe starting over again fresh is a good idea. It is good to be idealistic yet practical.
I did this too, it's not all bad! WE ARE TOUGH MEN AND WOMEN WHO WILL DO THINGS AND..STUFF!

jeboi7, lorend, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 01-05-2011 at 06:17 PM   #13
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Maybe he doesn't hate it, but doesn't want to spend the rest of his life in the field. Even I'm slowly starting to hate some of it -___-
Agree 100%, but there are some topics that I legitimately am like ZOMG INTEREST! (things that have nothing to do with my original stream =_=..ie. astrophysics, kinesiology research, math)

Things I started to hate:

- Chemistry that isn't commonly applicable unless you're a chemist
- Excessive memorization of so many things that don't matter (psych, bio...)
- Subjects/topics that literally anyone can learn to a similar capacity after simply spending a few hours on wikipedia or looking at a textbook at the library

Pretty sure most people hate those three things, though XD

Regardless, when I get a bad final grade or something I'm often like OH SCREW THIS I HATE ______ SUBJECT because I feel like that's the only way to rationalize my failures... doesn't mean I should switch programs or drop out - IMO the thread starter should pick up his/her stones and keep on going... because if you came here for science you obviously have interests which will emerge soon enough when not under duress (especially since you're already in second year O_o)

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-05-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2011 at 06:17 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I did this too, it's not all bad! WE ARE TOUGH MEN AND WOMEN WHO WILL DO THINGS AND..STUFF!
Ugh don't remind me. You walk into university thinking people will start pulling themselves together and get their act together. But I was wrong.. soo wrong.

@OP- Ryan's right. You can switch in now. Unless you also need a switch of universities. Honestly, if you absolutely feel you can't take it anymore (both Mac, your program + grades), take the rest of the term off and work or something while giving yourself time to think before applying again. Keep this as your last resort though. The situation is still fix-able with a little determination and motivation.
Old 01-05-2011 at 06:19 PM   #15
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

I would have gone into psych if I didn't get destroyed by both of the first year psychs. So interesting.