MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discover Naturopathic Medicine jaechung253 Clubs & Groups 0 09-25-2012 08:49 PM
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine mcgaffme Academics 4 07-06-2010 10:21 AM

If Not Medicine, Then What?

Members have rated post #348769 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 11-25-2012 at 12:35 PM   #1
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

If Not Medicine, Then What?
I am pretty confident to say that many have considered medicine as a career path after their undergraduate studies. But with the stats, not many do become a doctor. So, what now?

Have you ever wanted to become a doctor?
What is your plan b and why?
For your plan b, how are the job prospects in the future?

I feel that it no matter how much education we get, we can't really land ourselves with a good decent job. It is not enough to get undergrad nowadays and sometimes, a masters is not enough as well. For example, physiotherapists generally earn just above the minimum wage in Canada, I find this to be ridiculous because of the training they go through.

stja1 says thanks to AnimeGamer31 for this post.
Old 11-25-2012 at 12:52 PM   #2
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

If making money is the only reason why your at Mac, then your not in school for the right reasons.

Undergraduate education is about higher learning which usually doesn't land to a higher paying job.

If you just want to increase your career prospects, it's a much better idea to go to college for that.

Jester, stja1 like this.
Old 11-25-2012 at 12:58 PM   #3
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Yes, although I would not say it's plan A, I would prefer to say I dont really have a plan A. I want to do something intellectually challenging that interests me and I can't for sure say what that is in only my second year of Undergrad.

I disagree with the statistic regarding Physiotherapists: http://www.livingin-canada.com/salar...herapists.html http://www.wowjobs.ca/salary-physiotherapist http://www.albertahealthserv ices.c...rs/page127.asp

You also have to keep in mind the state of the economy at the time at which people are looking for work. We have just come out of a pretty big recession so its understandable that job opportunities are not as good nor as well paying compared to times when the economy is expanding.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.
Old 11-25-2012 at 12:59 PM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

After this mad anatomy course I'm taking this year, I want to do medicine more than anything else.
I'm applying next year. :.))))))
If I don't get in, I'll do a Master's, and try again.
If I don't get in, I'll do a PhD, and try again.
If I don't get in, I'll do some research, and publish a few papers, and try again.
If I don't get in, I'll do some ground-breaking research, win a Nobel, and try again.
If I still don't get in, I'll found my own med school and go there on a scholarship.

Old 11-25-2012 at 01:01 PM   #5
Philipp31
Elite Member

Exact opposite for me! This anatomy course has certainly got me re-considering my future plans To each their own I guess
Old 11-25-2012 at 01:31 PM   #6
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Do coop, move to Korea, start a business as a convenience store owner.

Old 11-25-2012 at 01:32 PM   #7
AnimeGamer31

Oh sorry, double post, please check post below....
Old 11-25-2012 at 01:34 PM   #8
AnimeGamer31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercool View Post
If making money is the only reason why your at Mac, then your not in school for the right reasons.

Undergraduate education is about higher learning which usually doesn't land to a higher paying job.

If you just want to increase your career prospects, it's a much better idea to go to college for that.
I agree with your comment and I like that you said "if" because that "if" is incorrect. I am at Mac for a specific reason and of course money is not the only goal. I am here to do what interests me, but I am also here to make a living out of that. I currently am interested in a few things, but with this thread, I am hoping to explore more of what could interest me and also do well financially. The last thing I want is to do what I want but regret it because I cannot support myself financially.

I am glad that you have brought this topic up because I would like to ask you on how you have planned your future? What are you doing that interests you? How do you plan to make a living out of it?

To be honest, I don't have the guts to do what I really want. I cope with that by finding a compromise with what I want and with a job that I can support myself with.

Last edited by AnimeGamer31 : 11-25-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Chopinetude, Yogurt like this.
Old 11-25-2012 at 02:08 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Many family friends I know who didn't get into med school right after undergrad did a masters and reapplied after that and got in (long way). Some people switched to pharmacy
Old 11-25-2012 at 02:12 PM   #10
PAstudent

Liked: 2 Times

Come to the Physician Assistant information night, Tuesday, Nov. 27 @ 7 in HSC1A1!
Old 11-25-2012 at 02:14 PM   #11
Philipp31
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAstudent View Post
Come to the Physician Assistant information night, Tuesday, Nov. 27 @ 7 in HSC1A1!
Thank you for letting us know!
Old 11-25-2012 at 04:15 PM   #12
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

- Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT)
- Medical Diagnostic Imaging (MDI)
- Physiotherapy
- Chiropractic
- Nursing
- Clinical Nutrition
- Teaching (for example a PHd in Anatomy)
- Dentistry

Then at a more undergrad level (but more direct jobs) mac offers:
- Electrical and Biomedical Engineering (undergrad + masters)
- Chemical and Bioengineering

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 11-25-2012 at 04:18 PM   #13
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Erm...nursing after undergrad??? Seems a bit of a waste...
Old 11-25-2012 at 04:23 PM   #14
Philipp31
Elite Member

Waste of what? There are also accelerated nursing programs you can take if you already have an undergraduate degree. I would never say though that the time you spent doing your first degree is really a huge waste of anything, it's not like you are coming out with nothing...

Mz.Morra13 likes this.
Old 11-25-2012 at 04:37 PM   #15
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

As much as it sucks to say this, but a general Bsc with no other credentials won't really take you anywhere without some kind of professional credential like mentioned above.

If your lucky, you might be able to find a great paying job as a lab tech making $16/hr+benefits at an educational institution like Mac, but MLT is a much preferred credential in this area.

AnimeGamer31 says thanks to mastercool for this post.

Zebedee likes this.