MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i drop a class in term 2 and take a class in term 1??? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 08-10-2010 12:58 PM
When is the last day to drop term II summer class? quaglia13 Academics 10 07-09-2010 09:51 AM
Emergency: registering for Math 1ZB3, but fail coz of the prerequisite Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-29-2010 07:01 AM
What happens if you fail a course first term that is a prerequisite for second term? MacPack Academics 3 06-11-2010 04:44 PM
can a professor fail a large portion of the class? Bumchoda Academics 61 04-20-2010 11:31 PM

If you fail a prerequisite for a class in term 2 what happens?

Old 12-10-2011 at 02:20 PM   #1
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

If you fail a prerequisite for a class in term 2 what happens?
Say you fail a prerequisite for a class that is in 2nd term, but it was a close call that was decided by the exam. You don't know you failed until mid-january because exam/final marks take awhile to come out. What happens? You are already enrolled in the class that required the failed class. Do they remove you?

An example would be failing Commerce 2AA3 (Introduction to Financial Accounting) in first term, but you are enrolled in Commerce 2AB3 (Managerial Accounting) for 2nd term. You attend classes the first few weeks (or however long it takes to find out you failed COMM 2AA3) and then find out you failed the prerequisite. Seems to be a confusing grey area since you are already enrolled, bought textbooks, etc. I doubt they can actually remove you?

Last edited by TroubleStorm : 12-10-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-10-2011 at 02:26 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

yup however ur academic counsellor can make exceptions i think
Old 12-10-2011 at 02:30 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

usually removed. The prof would then have to give you special permission to stay in the course. An acedemic advisor can help you get that permission but ultimately if the prof/department says no, then you are removed
Old 12-10-2011 at 02:32 PM   #4
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

Since it is past drop/add week, will they allow you to enter into a different course to replace the one they are removing you from?
Old 12-10-2011 at 03:08 PM   #5
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

umm im pretty sure ull find out your final mark before the start of the new sem, and for sure before the deadline for drop/add. also if your really worried you can email your current prof for the course and they can tell you whether you passes or not before its even posted
Old 12-10-2011 at 06:39 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleStorm View Post
Say you fail a prerequisite for a class that is in 2nd term, but it was a close call that was decided by the exam. You don't know you failed until mid-january because exam/final marks take awhile to come out. What happens? You are already enrolled in the class that required the failed class. Do they remove you?

An example would be failing Commerce 2AA3 (Introduction to Financial Accounting) in first term, but you are enrolled in Commerce 2AB3 (Managerial Accounting) for 2nd term. You attend classes the first few weeks (or however long it takes to find out you failed COMM 2AA3) and then find out you failed the prerequisite. Seems to be a confusing grey area since you are already enrolled, bought textbooks, etc. I doubt they can actually remove you?
I would email or talk to the department head before the term starts (perhaps next week, or after exam period) and make arrangments before finding out your mark, that way you, as well as they, have all the information much farther ahead in time than you would otherwise. You might know your marks before the drop period, and you can just hold off on buying the text?
Old 12-10-2011 at 07:46 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

In short: you will most likely get your mark before the drop/add period is over, and they can remove you from the course at any time.

It will look better if you talk to your professor and academic advisor now, rather than trying "But I didn't know I did poorly on the exam, you can't remove me from class this late in the term" thing. It probably won't work. Go talk to them now and see what you can do.
Old 12-10-2011 at 08:03 PM   #8
TroubleStorm
Account Locked

I probably won't fail, I was just generally curious.
Old 12-10-2011 at 08:25 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

In first year around October, I needed to get into physics 1B03 second term as a prereq for a second-year program I was looking at (I was originally registered in 1L03), but the academic advisor wouldn't open me up a spot. Instead, she told me that people who were currently in 1L03 would fail it and not be allowed to take 1B03, so spots would open up. I assume this means you're not allowed to take a second-term course if you fail the prereq in first term.
Old 12-10-2011 at 10:22 PM   #10
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

so when will he TroubleStorm have to do the course he is removed from?

Coz i know they only offer 1st courses in the summer
Old 12-10-2011 at 10:23 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
so when will he TroubleStorm have to do the course he is removed from?

Coz i know they only offer 1st courses in the summer
He said he probably won't fail and was just curious...but if you fail a course, you can take it in summer school if it is offered, or again the following school year.