MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost keys :( nidster General Discussion 1 06-17-2012 02:01 PM
Lost Gym Bag Snowman General Discussion 3 01-23-2012 02:24 PM
i lost Chevalier Gaming 20 09-11-2011 07:07 PM
Lost Backpack T28 Tedjoa Academics 0 04-18-2011 12:16 AM
I LOST MY KEY, MAC ID, etc... sagar35 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-19-2010 05:53 PM

I'm Lost... Help Please !

Old 08-09-2012 at 07:36 AM   #1
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

I'm Lost... Help Please !
i have so many questions answer them if you can please
1) do i need a laptop?
2) used books or new books?
3)do i need a notebook to write down notes ? or a binder ? or both?
4)when is the first day of school ?
5)do they have or give out free McMaster calenders ?
6)should i get a big backpack ? or a small one ? i have one that can fit one binder one book and a laptop? is that small do i need a bigger one ?
thanks in advance
oh i'm a sci kid if that helps
Old 08-09-2012 at 07:43 AM   #2
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

1.) you don't NEED one but it is VERY useful, especially if you are commuting
2.) USED USED USED, seriously you save SO MUCH money. Sometimes the profs will be on the 4th edition of the book and I'll use the 2nd which i got for like 20$, they hardly ever change anything and some people don't even use the textbooks but I like to know I have it just in case! But of course you should make sure if you are buying an older edition that it doesn't have too many changes.
3.) I use a notebook, or my laptop
4.) Thursday September 6th
5.) What do you mean by calendar? Like with dates on it, yes they give out paper ones you can put on ur wall with imp dates, or at least they did when I was in first year. Those big ones you can write on with washable marker you have to pay for, from titles. Or are you asking about the undergraduate calendar with the courses in it?
6.) The backpack you have sounds fine

Ponyo says thanks to lt93 for this post.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 07:52 AM   #3
Ponyo

thanks a lot !!
i just meant like a calender with months and dates on it
so you take down notes in class on a notebook ? no need for binders ?
what about printing lectures ? is that a waste ?
and do you get partners in labs ?
if you don't mind what were your electives for first year ?
Old 08-09-2012 at 08:19 AM   #4
lt93

Yeah I either use a notebook or my laptop or like you said I'll print out the lectures. I don't think printing out the lectures is waste, a lot of times it is better because 90% of what the prof says will be on the lecture slides and you'll only need to write down that extra 10% as opposed to writing everything down in a notebook. No need for binders IMO, you just need to bring in your notebook and your lecture notes and a pen, that's it..or your laptop.

All labs are different but they are mostly done in partners. Bio 1A03 labs were done in partners or groups of 4 for some, chem labs in partners while a few were individual and physics labs I was in a group of 3.

First year I took, both bios, both chems, both psychs, Math 1LS3, Physics 1B03 and Kin 1Y03.1YY3

Ponyo says thanks to lt93 for this post.
Old 08-09-2012 at 11:06 AM   #5
pinkprincess

Liked: 3 Times

Don't worry too much about these things now, you'll figure it out once you start school

1) You don't technically need a laptop...you can write notes in class by hand and there are plenty of computers available for use on campus. I personally find it more convenient to use a laptop in class and when I'm studying on campus.
2) Defiantly get used books if you can get them. First year I bought all new books because I wanted to start university "right" and didn't want to risk getting the wrong book/ worrying about looking for books when classes started or have to wait because the bookstore was sold out. I don't regret it but of course this was a waste of money. I would defiantly recommend used books By second term I was more comfortable with the way classes were run and that's when I started buying used books (and saving lots of money!).

3) I would recommend always having paper/ notebook with you even if you use a laptop in class. You never know when you might need to scribble down an impromptu diagram or calculation the prof might write on the board.
In terms of lecture notes, I used to print them out before class but ever since I found out how to write notes on pdfs, I just use my laptop. Then after class, I print out the slides. I transfer my notes from the pdfs and add relevant textbook information to each slide. This forces me to go over the material and it's really helpful when it comes to midterms/exams because you don't really have to worry about spending time reading the textbook. I do this for most of my science classes.
I keep a binder for each class that I print notes for, but I don't bring them to school unless I need to study for a midterm.

6) I think your backpack sounds fine. All you really need is room for a laptop and notebook and perhaps a textbook if you want to do some reading on campus. You can always get a bigger one later if you feel you need it, but for now I would wait.

Ponyo says thanks to pinkprincess for this post.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 11:38 AM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

1. You don't need a laptop, but you DO need a computer. Having a laptop helps. I have a desktop (gaming comp) and a laptop.

2. USED BOOKS

3. That's entirely up to you. You'll need to find what works best for you. For classes that release ppt slides, I print of those (6/pg) and write on that (and put in binder). Other classes that don't release ppt slides I write them down by hand/ type on laptop depending on what I find works best.

4. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /

5. You can buy one in Titles. I found it incredibly helpful when I was in first year. But now I keep track of things using Lightning/Thunderbird <--> Google Cal <--> Phone

6. I have 3 backpacks for different uses. 1 small one, 1 big one that can carry my laptop, and a laptop messenger bag. Start school and see what works best for you.

Yes you get lab partners.

My electives were Med Phys 1E03 (good course) and Math 1B03 (pointless course)
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Ponyo says thanks to Rayine for this post.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 12:22 PM   #7
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

How did you take notes in high school? I take them the same way, a notebook for each class
Old 08-09-2012 at 01:14 PM   #8
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
1) do i need a laptop?
2) used books or new books?
3)do i need a notebook to write down notes ? or a binder ? or both?
4)when is the first day of school ?
5)do they have or give out free McMaster calenders ?
6)should i get a big backpack ? or a small one ? i have one that can fit one binder one book and a laptop? is that small do i need a bigger one ?
thanks in advance

1) Not necessarily for classes, but this all depends on how fast you take handwritten notes and the speed of your professors speech. If your professor uploads lecture slides before classes, print them out and supplement them with notes in class. For this style of note taking, a binder is necessary. A laptop in general though, I would say is necessary.

2) Used vs. New debate is basically Price vs. Edition. Many departments require new editions of everything because the information has been drastically updated. If they do not, or if you know that the information in edition 7 of a book is not much different than edition 6, stick to used.

3) Answered.

4) I believe it's the 4th.

5) For the calendar with dates and things, this is usually given out during the first week at the MSU booth in the atrium. If you didn't manage to get one, the Underground in the basement of the Student Centre has them year round. If you want an agenda, leftover agendas are kept outside the MSU office for atleast the first month. If you want the Undergraduate calender, they're sold at Titles for around $8, but people manage to get them from Academic Advisors for free. P.S they're all online anyway, so.

6) The one you have sounds fine.

Ponyo says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 08-09-2012 at 01:37 PM   #9
lt93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
4) I believe it's the 4th.
No it's the 6th

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-13/pg195.html

AelyaS says thanks to lt93 for this post.
Old 08-13-2012 at 10:47 AM   #10
Ponyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayine View Post
1. You don't need a laptop, but you DO need a computer. Having a laptop helps. I have a desktop (gaming comp) and a laptop.

2. USED BOOKS

3. That's entirely up to you. You'll need to find what works best for you. For classes that release ppt slides, I print of those (6/pg) and write on that (and put in binder). Other classes that don't release ppt slides I write them down by hand/ type on laptop depending on what I find works best.

4. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /

5. You can buy one in Titles. I found it incredibly helpful when I was in first year. But now I keep track of things using Lightning/Thunderbird <--> Google Cal <--> Phone

6. I have 3 backpacks for different uses. 1 small one, 1 big one that can carry my laptop, and a laptop messenger bag. Start school and see what works best for you.

Yes you get lab partners.

My electives were Med Phys 1E03 (good course) and Math 1B03 (pointless course)
why is math 1b03 pointless ?? o.O
Old 08-13-2012 at 10:48 AM   #11
Ponyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
How did you take notes in high school? I take them the same way, a notebook for each class
we just copied notes from the overhead projector :/
Old 08-13-2012 at 03:41 PM   #12
newbo

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
1) do i need a laptop? No, but it helps.
2) used books or new books? No books, find e-books online, if you can't then buy them used.
3)do i need a notebook to write down notes ? or a binder ? or both? Bring a notebook, I only use one notebook to write whatever few notes I take during class, you might want to separate your notes into their own notebooks (up to you).
4)when is the first day of school ? I think its like the Thursday the same week as welcome week? Don't quote me on this.
5)do they have or give out free McMaster calenders ? Don't remember tbh, never ever used one, I think you get one in your frosh bag thing.
6)should i get a big backpack ? or a small one ? i have one that can fit one binder one book and a laptop? is that small do i need a bigger one ? Get an easily carried bag, one that can fit your laptop and a notebook. You honestly don't need to bring the kitchen sink with you to class, I mean you could if you wanted to but I would advise against it.

thanks in advance
Cheers, I hope this helps at all.

Ponyo says thanks to newbo for this post.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 10:10 PM   #13
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

1) do i need a laptop? - It would be helpful if you have a printer too, unless you plan on coming to campus libraries to print every paper. Trust me you will need one to access McMaster gmail, Avenue2Learn, online quizzes, communicate with professors and teaching assistants etc. Unless you plan on going back and forth and doing everything from a stagnant PC, buy a laptop and a printer.
2) used books or new books? - I always search for torrents/e-books/used books before I make that trip to the book store, they are pricey. Be prepared to spend up to $1000 a semester on books if you are purchasing all new texts.
3)do i need a notebook to write down notes ? or a binder ? or both? - This one is subjective. Do what feels comfortable!
4)when is the first day of school ? - Thursday, September 6th - you will most likely show up to class, go over the course syllabus for that class and the prof will discuss any changes over the summer. I've had some last the whole class, I've had professors not show up and post a note on the door. Be prepared to get pissed off if you are commuting to find a letter posted on the doors that lecture is cancelled. I recommend waiting until you attend your first class of each subject before purchasing text books. This way you know the class is for you, and will not feel obligated to take something you didn't intend to.
5)do they have or give out free McMaster calenders ? - You can get a free one if you participate in the MSU events and I believe pay some fee that gets you a pass for the day. I remember thinking it was a big deal but it didn't matter at all. All I know is I ended up buying one.. they are cheap and definitely provide a visual of the time you will need to organize to follow upcoming deadlines.
6)should i get a big backpack ? or a small one ? i have one that can fit one binder one book and a laptop? is that small do i need a bigger one ? - This one is subjective. Whatever works for you!

Last edited by Marooner : 08-13-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Ponyo says thanks to Marooner for this post.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 08-13-2012 at 10:13 PM   #14
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
why is math 1b03 pointless ?? o.O
It's "pointless" only if you're not interested in studying physics or mathematics (or possibly chemistry) but even then I'd say it's a pretty useful course. Systems of linear equations show up in lots of places and linear algebra provides you with a framework for dealing with and thinking about these systems. And, more importantly, it teaches you to think abstractly, which probably isn't something you're going to get out of first year calculus.

If you like math, I'd definitely recommend taking it.

Ponyo says thanks to oranges for this post.
Old 08-15-2012 at 11:57 AM   #15
Ponyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbo View Post
Cheers, I hope this helps at all.
okay no kitchen sink