MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More important matters. Matt Wright General Discussion 105 08-26-2009 09:38 PM
Important Questions! p4lyfe12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-22-2009 02:45 PM
Which Presentations Are Most Important? dimoxyel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-04-2008 09:38 AM
Important Dates Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-20-2007 12:54 AM
Important Dates Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-02-2007 04:00 PM

Important Engineering!!!

Old 09-17-2010 at 05:44 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Important Engineering!!!
I am currently a grade 13 student that completed their top 6 with an average of 88%.

I am wondering instead of waiting a whole year am I able to take courses now to reduce my work load for next year?

I know I have a 100% chance of getting excepted with my average but am I able to take some courses now so I can reduce my work load

Like taking some electives or some courses required for engineering managment and coop , hope you understand what I mean

If you can show me how to registrar also I would be greatfull

Thanks for your help

Mohammad Fattal
Old 09-17-2010 at 05:54 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Hmm, that's an interesting question. Are you saying you want to take some first year courses while still in highschool?

I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Anyway, during the summer there is this thing called LEAP where you can take a few courses (Eng 1C03, 1D04 or 1P03) before first year starts. The unfortunate part though I think is that you'll just get a 'complete' for those courses rather than a grade.... and they're kinda the ones that bump your average up for a lot of people :p.
Old 09-17-2010 at 06:36 PM   #3
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

im pretty sure (like dilon said) it not possible, your best bet would be to go to leap
Old 09-17-2010 at 06:43 PM   #4
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

You won't be able to register in McMaster courses without first being registered as McMaster student. You'd have to talk to the registrar about the possibilities of registering for the spring semester, for example.

If you're really itching to get some courses done, you might be to get into Mohawk or some other college and take some transfer eligible courses. As with LEAP, your GPA won't transfer, but it could get you a couple courses done.

If you do decide to take some courses at college, be sure to do your research and make absolutely sure the courses will transfer before you sign up.
Old 09-17-2010 at 07:04 PM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You'd definitely be excepted.

Accepted however...probably not, but hey! Stranger things have happened.
Old 09-17-2010 at 07:06 PM   #6
mfattal
Elite Member

I have finished school and I have a whole year off with an 88% average because I did my make up courses in summer. I also was accepted to ryerson but rejected it in order to go to mcmaster.

So you think Mcmaster dosent offer courses unless I am in a program??

And a question about LEAP what is it exactly and Can I take Chemistry and PHysics in it? because I know these will lower my marks!!
Old 09-17-2010 at 07:30 PM   #7
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Leap is basically a program that allows you to take two accelerated first year engineering courses in the summer before you start first year. I believe the courses are compressed into 3 weeks. The only courses offered are:
ENGINEER 1P03 (Introduction to Professional Engineering)
ENGINEER 1C03 (Engineering Design and Graphics)
http://leap.mcmaster.ca/headstart2010.html

So you're not going to avoid Chemistry and Physics marks that way.

If you're really worried about your marks in Chem and Physics, you could likely come to campus and just attend lecture without anyone noticing. After the first week of classes and excluding midterms most lectures are poorly attended and so there should be plenty of seating. (Note if you want to officially sit-in on a course, McMaster will want to charge you money). For obvious reasons, be sure to be quiet and respectful during lecture and arrive at least a few minutes early.

You could also likely find a good text in the public library to supplement lectures so you don't have to buy the textbook. It won't technically lower your workload, but if you learn most of the material this year, you should have a much easier time with those courses when you actually are in them.
Old 09-17-2010 at 07:36 PM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
I have finished school and I have a whole year off with an 88% average because I did my make up courses in summer. I also was accepted to ryerson but rejected it in order to go to mcmaster.

So you think Mcmaster dosent offer courses unless I am in a program??

And a question about LEAP what is it exactly and Can I take Chemistry and PHysics in it? because I know these will lower my marks!!
Yeah, you can't take courses if you're not registered. I guess you can ask about taking stuff in the Winter (January to April) or Spring (May-June and July-August) terms, but I actually haven't heard of anyone doing that. Doesn't mean it's impossible though.

As Ownag--

As Dillon (sort of) said, only Engineer 1P03 and Engineer 1C03 are offered in the summer at LEAP. 1D04 isn't and I suspect won't be added anytime soon. You're eligible to go this route regardless, and I'd recommend it.

More info can be found here.

/is an ex-LEAP instructor

To be honest, I really don't think you'll get permission to register for the winter or spring/summer terms. It's probably not too much a hassle for them, but it's just unheard of.

If you're really bored, you can always just find out when and where lectures are, come to Mac for them, learn the material this year, and then own everything when you're actually a registered student. I actually considered doing this before I realized I have pretty much no work ethic and I'd end up sleeping the year away. But hey, it's an option.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
I'm gonna type faster than Entropy so he feels stupid 'cause his post quite literally said pretty much everything mine did.

Last edited by Entropy : 09-17-2010 at 07:40 PM.

dsahota likes this.
Old 09-17-2010 at 07:44 PM   #9
mfattal
Elite Member

thanks guys ill consider this, but about those courses offered in LEAP would you recomend i take them in leap or is it better to take them regularly because they can raise my GPA so i can have a better chance at picking 2nd year program like Civil structural and Management ?
Old 09-19-2010 at 09:49 PM   #10
magyarm

Liked: 0 Times

Another option, and this you have to check if you can get the transfer credits, is with Athabasca University. http://www.athabascau.ca/ . I have taken summer (makeup) classes with them on letter of permission. alot of the first year engineering classes have equivalencies at Athabasca, and as long as you can self pace, you shouldn't have much difficulty.

BUT: check with the Office of the Registrar: Admissions if it can be counted as transfer credit.
Old 09-19-2010 at 10:02 PM   #11
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

With an 88% average, you should probably set your sights higher than McMaster. This school is terrible and I can't see why anybody would make it their first choice.

Old 09-19-2010 at 10:54 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
I am currently a grade 13 student that completed their top 6 with an average of 88%.

I am wondering instead of waiting a whole year am I able to take courses now to reduce my work load for next year?

I know I have a 100% chance of getting excepted with my average but am I able to take some courses now so I can reduce my work load

Like taking some electives or some courses required for engineering managment and coop , hope you understand what I mean

If you can show me how to registrar also I would be greatfull

Thanks for your help

Mohammad Fattal
How?

6chars

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-19-2010 at 10:58 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote: