MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FINANCE MATTERS! Free Workshop January 30th, 2010 Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-19-2010 10:37 AM
Gender Matters Forum - Jan 22 Lois MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-12-2010 09:55 AM
Important Questions! p4lyfe12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-22-2009 02:45 PM
Important Dates Nino General Discussion 72 08-03-2009 11:13 PM

More important matters.

Old 08-04-2009 at 08:28 PM   #1
Matt Wright

Liked: 54 Times

More important matters.
As September looms on the horizon, here are some important things to keep in mind:

http://www.cawlocal555.ca/ Click on this link.

Ken Lewenza letter on results of Local 555 strike vote

AND

http://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/labour_relations/cupe_3.html

Let's put all this silly logo talk aside and make sure we are ready in case two giant unions on campus decide to strike.

emtee10, finklej, rich quintyn all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:39 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I feel like it's pretty simple. Do all we can, spend all the time we would have in class and studying, making life a living hell for those people, and possibly gathering together to teach the first years and each other.

I really don't feel like there's anything else I could do! How could we just sit at home?

What would you do? What do you think?

aziz917, Taunton all say thanks to micadjems for this post.

Old 08-04-2009 at 08:50 PM   #3
laurastevens

Liked: 2 Times

According to the Daily News on July 28th http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=6297 they have reached a tentative collective agreement, and they were meeting to ratify it on thw 30th and 31st. Hopefully this can all be resolved quickly and we won't have another York.
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:53 PM   #4
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurastevens View Post
According to the Daily News on July 28th http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /story.cfm?id=6297 they have reached a tentative collective agreement, and they were meeting to ratify it on thw 30th and 31st. Hopefully this can all be resolved quickly and we won't have another York.
Yes that one of the THREE groups that are in negotiations. The post docs, the t.as and r.as, and the non academic support staff are all involved in collective bargaining right now.

The post docs and the T.As/R.As are represented by CUPE
The non academic support staff are represented by CAW

The post docs have reached an agreement but things are looking rough for the non academic support staff.

saukalra says thanks to .:callen:. for this post.
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:57 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

But if the non academic support staff strikes, I've heard that classes will continue as normal. Hopefully everything will be resolved quickly and fairly for all parties.
Old 08-04-2009 at 09:25 PM   #6
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I'm with micadjems
Old 08-04-2009
McMaxwell
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-04-2009
McMaxwell
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-04-2009 at 11:18 PM   #7
Matt Wright

The biggest concern I have is that 20 people posted every hour regarding the new 1280 logo, whilst no one seems to care about topics like this. I would hope that something that directly impacts student experience at McMaster would take precedence over fonts.

If there is anyone out there in the vast space of MacInsiders who knows any updates about these two possible strikes, please relay your information to us.

finklej, Taunton all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.

Ian Finlay, JasonMcGuirk like this.
Old 08-04-2009 at 11:29 PM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I feel like it's pretty simple. Do all we can, spend all the time we would have in class and studying, making life a living hell for those people, and possibly gathering together to teach the first years and each other.

I really don't feel like there's anything else I could do! How could we just sit at home?

What would you do? What do you think?
I really think this would be awesome, and I would be 100% for this! If there is a strike, we definitely should work together to teach each other and help each other out!

I wish I could put "thanks" on this more than once!
Old 08-05-2009 at 01:08 AM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:callen:. View Post
Yes that one of the THREE groups that are in negotiations. The post docs, the t.as and r.as, and the non academic support staff are all involved in collective bargaining right now.

The post docs and the T.As/R.As are represented by CUPE
The non academic support staff are represented by CAW

The post docs have reached an agreement but things are looking rough for the non academic support staff.
Yeah, but the T.A's Imo are the biggest concern right now. If we lose them I would think that classes would obviously get cancelled! I think that is what happened at York as well.

But the problem here from what I see is that we have two different sides with their own vested interests who arguably are painting a biased picture of the situation. Also I think the CUPE 3906 Blog is confidential apparently according to this page http://www.cupe3906.org/index.php?op...168&Itemid=239

But if a current T.A reading this can Pm Stuff to someone here(who can then forward it to this thread) so we know what's going back there, it would be awesome!

There actually are three other blogs related to Bargaining: http://unit1bargaining.wordp ress.com/
http://cupesupport.wordpress .com/
http://unit2jobcuts.wordpres s.com/

But I'm confused whether these are different from the one listed on the first link.

Here is the McMaster Blog: http://www.mcmaster.ca/opr/labour_relations/

I am not sure what the MSU stance currently on Labour Disruptions is. I think it was "Neutral" but then there was this heated debate during a March SRA meeting about it, I don't recall what they ammended it to, can an SRA member fill us up?

The Operating Policy on Labour Disruptions Currently Uploaded is wayy outdated(2002) though! I think it only refers to the VP Admin's role in a labour disruption, whereas I think it is the VP Ed who handles such stuff in todays age.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

.:callen:. says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 08-05-2009 at 06:20 AM   #10
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Thanks for the blog links huzaifa.

I didn't want to comment on the R.A/T.A bargaining because there hasn't been much information released about how their bargaining is going. From reading the blog it seems there will be major developments in the next couple weeks as real bargaining over the content of the offers begins.

I find it concerning that so many people liked/thanked a post that said that we should make sure to 'make life a living hell for these people'

That is incredibly ignorant to say when we don't yet know what each party is offering. This is just another example of people having a mindless anti-union attitude without actually knowing anything about the labour dispute.

Lois likes this.
Old 08-05-2009 at 06:38 AM   #11
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
The biggest concern I have is that 20 people posted every hour regarding the new 1280 logo, whilst no one seems to care about topics like this.

I don't think we don't care, but it's definitely out of our hands. Unlike how TwelvEighty should be.

DannyV, Maegs all say thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 08-05-2009 at 10:52 AM   #12
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I am not sure what the MSU stance currently on Labour Disruptions is. I think it was "Neutral" but then there was this heated debate during a March SRA meeting about it, I don't recall what they ammended it to, can an SRA member fill us up?

The Operating Policy on Labour Disruptions Currently Uploaded is wayy outdated(2002) though! I think it only refers to the VP Admin's role in a labour disruption, whereas I think it is the VP Ed who handles such stuff in todays age.
It was changed to say "in the best interest of students" instead of neutral. I don't know if the position it had refenced changed. I don't believe it did but I can't remember clearly so I could be wrong.

huzaifa47 says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 08-05-2009 at 10:59 AM   #13
Matt Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I don't think we don't care, but it's definitely out of our hands. Unlike how TwelvEighty should be.
Actually, it is in your hands. Your apathy continues to baffle me.

I just walked into an informal Board of Directors meeting which discussed how to handle the threat of a CAW strike. The MSU is brainstorming ways to keep the academic school year on track, and now, more than ever, they need student feedback. By voicing your opinions to the Board, your input could be the swaying point that keeps collective bargaining agreements from getting out of hand. One student voice could be that final straw that causes voting members to keep scheduled classes going.

Please, for the sake of your education, email or message your SRA representatives or the Board of Directors and make your voice heard!