MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indigenous Studies 3CC3 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 05-01-2011 03:12 PM
Indigenous Studies 3K03 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-21-2010 09:46 PM
Indigenous Studies 2A03 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 04-13-2010 07:41 PM
Indigenous Studies course as elective? madBiologist First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-18-2009 10:55 PM

Indigenous Studies

Old 07-19-2007 at 08:44 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Indigenous Studies
Indigenous Studies
Discussion Thread

McMaster's Indigenous Studies Program was established in 1991, prior to this a group of Aboriginal students formed the first McMaster First Nations Student Association (MFNSA) in 1989. The main purpose of this group was to establish peer and support for Native students who are attending university, to bring awareness of Aboriginal issues at the university level and to encourage Native students in secondary school to continue on with higher education. Since 1989, enrollment has increased dramatically. The program has approximately 100 to 150 Native students attending McMaster. In addition to this core group of students, we have approximately 150 to 200 non-Native students who are interested in taking Indigenous Studies from a Native perspective.
This way of learning is very unique because we incorporate the knowledge of many Aboriginal people and Elders. For so long the history and lives of Aboriginal people have been misrepresented in all aspects, the staff and people who work within the Indigenous Studies Program are dedicated to the success of students.
Old 01-07-2009 at 10:15 PM   #2
Slania

Liked: 1 Time

I find it rather ironic how there are absolutely no textbooks available for either the Indigenous studies and Mohawk classes in Titles.
Old 01-08-2009 at 05:25 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

The tank has a whole bunch of ISP textbooks. I bought mine there...

And yeah, I can imagine them having to order more textbooks for Mohawk, they had to do the same for Ojibwe last term.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-09-2009 at 09:11 AM   #4
Slania

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks I'll check there ^^