MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Indigenous Studies 1AA3 sinthusized 1st Year Course Reviews 3 01-13-2011 06:22 PM
Indigenous Studies 3K03 lorend 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-21-2010 09:46 PM
Indigenous Studies 2A03 lorend 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 04-13-2010 07:41 PM
Indigenous Studies Chad Academics 3 01-09-2009 09:11 AM

Indigenous Studies 2B03

Indigenous Studies 2B03
History of Indigenous Peoples' Sovereignty
Published by lorend
12-11-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 83%
Indigenous Studies 2B03

I took this class Term I of 2008-2009.

I had never taken an Indigenous Studies course that wasn't cross-listed with something else, so I was concerned that I wouldn't do too well. I really enjoyed the course, and it taught me a lot about some of Indigenous politics in terms of self-determination.

If you're in Poli Sci or Anthro you would likely do well in this course too.

My class was tiny (9 people), and I found it very odd that about half the class would be missing on any given day.

We had an article critique, a take-home midterm, and essay, a take-home final, and a grade for participation.

The prof was really helpful and accommodating, and took time to explain things really well.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Indigenous Studies 2B03!

Old 12-21-2008 at 06:02 PM   #2
n_kissoon
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Hey, do you mind explaining the 'take-home' midterm? I've never heard of those, so what exactly is it comprised of?
Is it like an assignment type of deal?
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-22-2008 at 11:58 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
The contents of a take-home midterm kind of depends on the course. Essentially you're given a component to do at home instead of during class time.

Ours was to answer two short answer questions (three options) and write an essay. We were given two days to complete the task.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-01-2011 at 03:07 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology
Year: Other

Liked: 98 Times
I thought this class was extremely interesting! I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in indigenous studies /politics/ international law/ history. Though this class focuses on indigenous self-determination, there is diversity in the topics discussed; for example, there were lectures on issues on research as wells as the role of allies.

Midterm
Case Study Report
Big Argument - debate
Big Argument - Report
Take Home Exam
Participation

I personally did not enjoy the debate but, I enjoyed writing the report on the debate as it involves self-reflection. I learned a lot from this class.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search