MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business Informatics or CompSci & Econ BigT905 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 02-12-2011 12:16 AM
A 2nd year business informatics dude CB-Shawn Introduce Yourself 1 07-07-2010 01:43 PM
- Business Informatics major..?- HELP! *~Lana~* First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 02-07-2010 04:06 AM

Informatics' GPA

Old 02-11-2011 at 10:25 PM   #1
imdreamer

Liked: 0 Times

Informatics' GPA
Hey
I'm applying to Mcmaster's Business Informatics and have an excellent high school average 92.56

I wonder how much average I should maintain at the end of each term in order to stay at Mcmaster's Business Informatics program. I have heard that you guys have a different GPA system. So I just have few questions regarding GPA. If I got; lets say 70, 60,65,66,75 in certain 1st term courses, how much my GPA will be? And how do you calculate it?

Does the school of Computer Science have a lot of female students? Or it's just full of geek boys? , I'm a female and ya know I care about soical life.

Does the school also offer a variety of scholarships and awards for high academic standing students?
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:27 PM   #2
BenTran

Liked: 3 Times

McMaster follows the 12-point system:

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

imdreamer says thanks to BenTran for this post.
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:27 PM   #3
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Informatic is a Minor isn't it?

You can read up on the requirement from the University's Calendar.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1187.html
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:39 PM   #4
imdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Informatic is a Minor isn't it?

You can read up on the requirement from the University's Calendar.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1187.html

Business Informatics is under Computer Science school though. The link you posted explains school of business role.
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:42 PM   #5
imdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTran View Post
McMaster follows the 12-point system:

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

thx for the link. Does that mean for my example: 70, 60,65,66,75; My gpa would be 7.4/12

Old 02-11-2011 at 10:45 PM   #6
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdreamer View Post
Business Informatics is under Computer Science school though. The link you posted explains school of business role.
Gotcha. Below should be the correct link.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1199.html

Following through Admission requirement, you need a minimum of 4 GPA in order to get to Level II.

Doesn't say much else, which I am then assuming that for every year, you just need a minimum of 3.5 GPA to not get kick out.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...ent/pg122.html

Last edited by PHLN : 02-11-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2011 at 10:49 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:

thx for the link. Does that mean for my example: 70, 60,65,66,75; My gpa would be 7.4/12

If you were to take the average GPA of all those marks you would get (assuming all courses have 3 units) 5.8 out of 12.

The way they do average is to take each GPA per course multiply it by the unit per course. Add them all up and divide by the total units.

70% (7 GPA) x 3 = 21
60% (4 GPA) x 3 = 12
65% (5 GPA) x 3 = 15
66% (5 GPA) x 3 = 15
75% (8 GPA) x 3 = 24
--------------------------------
Add all and divide by 15 = 5.8
Old 02-12-2011 at 10:45 AM   #8
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Does the school of Computer Science have a lot of female students? Or it's just full of geek boys? , I'm a female and ya know I care about soical life.
Not really a lot, but there do seem to be some around. It's hard to determine who's actually in CS in first year though, because we only have 5 mandatory courses (business informatics also needs some econ), 3 of which are shared with the first year engineers, and the other two are open as electives to just about anyone. Obviously the engineering math classes, the ones we share with first year engineers, are pretty huge, but the two computer science courses are actually quite small, and I'm sure not everyone that is in both of them is even in CS as their major.