MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gym pass xiaoliu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-07-2011 09:58 AM
HSR bus pass Juve General Discussion 0 08-30-2011 11:41 PM
Bus Pass Opt-Out thirdyearboy General Discussion 60 10-21-2009 10:01 AM
HSR Bus Pass Sorin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-05-2008 09:56 PM
U-pass Q&a fullsmash26 MSU & On-Campus Services 0 03-03-2008 07:29 PM

Information for GO Pass

Old 08-10-2012 at 12:58 PM   #1
hamza4000

Liked: 1 Time

Information for GO Pass
Can someone fill me in with the information. Also do we use Presto or monthly pass?
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:03 PM   #2
lobstersongs

Liked: 9 Times

Just use Presto for the GO since it will stop charging you if you ever reach the cost of a monthly pass
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:07 PM   #3
hamza4000

How much is a Prestco Card. Also can you fill me in with the information of GO Student ID card.
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:12 PM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

- The presto card is $6. U need to fill the card with a min of $10
- The Go Student ID is basically your student card
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:19 PM   #5
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

every time you use the GO service, you tap of your presto card as you get in and get off at your final destination. I haven't used one myself but thinking about it this year. Isn't that how it works though ?

A question,

#If I catch a bus from Mcmaster to Bramalea Go station and then get on a train to mount pleasant, how many times do I tap my presto card ??
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:24 PM   #6
lobstersongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
If I catch a bus from Mcmaster to Bramalea Go station and then get on a train to mount pleasant, how many times do I tap my presto card ??
You'll tap it 4 times.
Once onto the bus, once off, once on the platform before getting onto the train, and once on the platform at mount pleasant.
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:28 PM   #7
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

Am I saving if I choose to use presto over a monthly pass ?
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:44 PM   #8
lobstersongs

Yes. If you make the same trip multiple times, a discount will be applied to your trip depending on how many times you've already made that trip.

1-35 ride - 7.5% Off
36-40 ride 87.5% Off
41 + rides 100% Off

This makes it so that if you reach the amount you would have paid for a monthly pass, your Presto card will stop being charged for any more trips that month.
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:47 PM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Quote:
Just use Presto for the GO since it will stop charging you if you ever reach the cost of a monthly pass
Based on this, yes. If you don't use it much, you end up paying less than a monthly pass. If you meet the cost of a monthly pass, that's all you pay.

With Presto Cost is always = < Monthly Pass
Old 08-10-2012 at 01:51 PM   #10
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
It really depends how much you ride the GO. I calculated it for myself and it would save me more on a month where I would have less rides, so September for example. But then I calculated for October and it would only save me about $10.

To me it seems like more of a hassle to use Presto, with remembering to tap on and off at every transfer because if you ever forget to you get an "underpayment" and they'll charge you til the end of the line (i.e. if I forget to tap off in Burlington they would charge me to Union Station and my savings for the month would be gone :|).
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:03 PM   #11
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstersongs View Post
Yes. If you make the same trip multiple times, a discount will be applied to your trip depending on how many times you've already made that trip.

1-35 ride - 7.5% Off
36-40 ride 87.5% Off
41 + rides 100% Off

This makes it so that if you reach the amount you would have paid for a monthly pass, your Presto card will stop being charged for any more trips that month.
This is correct, but the student discount is more than that!

1-30 - 15% off
31-40 - 95% off
41+ - 100% off

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/presto.aspx
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:03 PM   #12
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Yea i agree its scary that you might forget to tap off, so when i tap on, i dont put my card back in my wallet or pocket, i just hold it in my hand with my ipod, so when i get off im like "oh yea my cards in my hand i gotta tap off, durrr"

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:05 PM   #13
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

It depends how much you use the GO. If you're a commuter and you use the GO not only from your home town to Mac, but also from Mac to other places, you're better off using the monthly passes. GO Transit has more or less eliminated 10-ride passes and tell all their customers to use Presto in its place. The good thing about Presto is that it also works with some inner city transit systems, such as Mississauga.
Old 08-10-2012 at 02:10 PM   #14
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I like presto too because if i had my regular McMaster-Toronto 10 ride, thats great, but if i decide I was to go 2 stops further one day, or get off a stop earlier, I have to buy a seperate 1 ride at full price. So with the presto you have the freedom to where you want, and even change your mind mid trip. and when its loaded you dont have to wait in those awful rush hour lines to buy your 1ride.
Old 08-10-2012 at 03:15 PM   #15
CourtneyH
Account Disabled by User

You can no longer use or buy 2-rides or 10-rides. It's PRESTO, monthly pass or pay full price for a 1 use ticket.

There are no down-sides to PRESTO in my opinion, except maybe the $6 one-time fee but I know that was waived in June so maybe that promotion is still going on.

The price per ride is equal to 10-ride tickets and you will never be charged more than a monthly pass. And unlike a monthly pass, if there are holidays and you don't travel as much you haven't lost any money.