MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac pass ? sayok8737 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-18-2010 01:54 PM
Bus Pass Goce General Discussion 27 08-31-2009 06:03 PM
HSR Bus Pass Sorin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-05-2008 09:56 PM
Mac Pass Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-31-2008 08:48 PM
U-pass Q&a fullsmash26 MSU & On-Campus Services 0 03-03-2008 07:29 PM

Bus Pass Opt-Out

Old 10-19-2009 at 12:45 PM   #1
thirdyearboy

Liked: 4 Times

Bus Pass Opt-Out
Hey guys, in a recent article over at McMaster Blog it discuss why there should be an option to opt out of the HSR bus pass. How do you guys feel about that? I'm definitely in favour!
Old 10-19-2009 at 12:51 PM   #2
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

the thing is the 100 is such an insane discount over anything the HSR offers ($79/month for an adult = $632 for the eight month term) that the only way we can get that rate is by having every undergrad pay the fee. With the commitment of the ~20000 students the HSR would be willing to give us that price.

I agree that it sucks to have to pay for something that you dont use, but overall it's an amazing deal, and useful to enough students that I feel it is valid.

Plus, save yourself some gas and use the bus pass to get around Hamilton if you ever need to. You've already paid for it

Old 10-19-2009 at 12:54 PM   #3
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

If students had the option to opt-out, it would inevitably lead to HSR raising it's prices by a significant amount to cover the loss. It would make it less affordable for students who NEED the bus pass.

An opt-out is a bad idea.

lawleypop, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 10-19-2009 at 01:14 PM   #4
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

Ya that's true that the price would increase if everyone wasn't forced to purchase a bus pass, But if we had the option to opt out of the bus pass I would definitely be the first! It seems like this will just remain a dream for myself. Do that many people actually use the HSR buses?
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:35 PM   #5
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Assuming the pass costs $100 from our student fees, and that the bus costs $2.40 a trip, the pass is a better deal for any student who takes the bus more than 42 times in that 8 month period. There is also some benefit to always having the option to take the bus in case of emergencies. Most students would probably not opt out of the pass.

However, all students should have the option to not pay for any service they are not using. Taking money from people for programs they do not use is theft. An opt out is something that we should have, but will almost definitely never get.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:40 PM   #6
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Assuming the pass costs $100 from our student fees, and that the bus costs $2.40 a trip, the pass is a better deal for any student who takes the bus more than 42 times in that 8 month period. There is also some benefit to always having the option to take the bus in case of emergencies. Most students would probably not opt out of the pass.
I agree with this, I remember last year having to live downtown (because of the Brandon Fire) and the bus pass definitely helped save commuting money.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:46 PM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordko View Post
Ya that's true that the price would increase if everyone wasn't forced to purchase a bus pass, But if we had the option to opt out of the bus pass I would definitely be the first! It seems like this will just remain a dream for myself. Do that many people actually use the HSR buses?
Yes. The busiest times for the times are 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening at normal rush hour times. Those busses are PACKED completely full and like 90% of the people on there are Mac students.
Old 10-19-2009 at 02:49 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordko View Post
Yes. If I didn't have the pass, I would NEVER go ANYWHERE.

Sorry but, I refuse to walk home with bags full of groceries, I'm not about to walk to limeridge mall or jackson square (ESPECIALLY not in the winter), I'm not going to buy a car b/c I can't afford gas AND insurance and the price of a car, etc..

I could go on forever.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-19-2009 at 03:04 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I don't agree with an opt-out at all. It would causes disadvantages for far more students than it would help. Although I don't use the bus on a daily basis, I use it often enough (i.e. more than 42 times in 8 months) it's definately worth it for me.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-19-2009 at 03:06 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I don't agree with an opt-out at all. It would causes disadvantages for far more students than it would help. Although I don't use the bus on a daily basis, I use it often enough (i.e. more than 42 times in 8 months) it's definately worth it for me.
I feel like I've already used it over 30 times since school started.
Especially if I go to Limeridge mall. It's about a 45 minute bus ride and unless I know EXACTLY what I want, there's no way I'd make it back in time for the bus home with a transfer.

In first year, I used it a lot less, no doubt. But I think it's CRUCIAL for upper years.

danallan likes this.
Old 10-19-2009 at 03:11 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Furthermore, I'd like to say that just because you don't use it doesn't make it theft.

That's like saying getting deductions on your paycheck for unemployment is theft.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-19-2009 at 03:57 PM   #12
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Isn't it like saying alot of things you pay taxes to the government is "theft" if you don't use them/benefit from them? In the long run the positive benefits for the wider student body are just awesome(The discount we get is Amazing compared to Non-Mac Bus Passes) soo I really don't see why people would want to opt out? :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-19-2009 at 04:08 PM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Isn't it like saying alot of things you pay taxes to the government is "theft" if you don't use them/benefit from them? In the long run the positive benefits for the wider student body are just awesome(The discount we get is Amazing compared to Non-Mac Bus Passes) soo I really don't see why people would want to opt out? :S
One of the most accurate bumper stickers I have ever seen read "Don't Steal: The Government Hates Competition".

If you take someone's money without them consenting, that is theft. It would still be theft if it benefits the majority. If we don't have an opt out option, we are taking people's money without their consent, even if they do get a benefit from it.

I would probably never opt out of the bus pass, but I still think that the option should exist so that people have a choice. And I would personally love to opt out of some of the services that I never use (athletics fees, for a start).

I would also love to have the option to not get unemployment if I lose my job and not need to pay into it.
Old 10-19-2009 at 04:11 PM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post

I would also love to have the option to not get unemployment if I lose my job and not need to pay into it.
haha no you won't Think about it for a few minutes.

But this is most probably a political debate. I'm sort of left wing-utilitarian andd you appear to be right wing soo there is no possibility of consensus!

Edit: Plus secondly technically/Legally people do Consent to pay all that! When you sign your payment agreement you are signing off to something even if it is compulsory! :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 10-19-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2009 at 04:13 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
haha no you won't Think about it for a few minutes.

But this is most probably a political debate. I'm sort of left wing-utilitarian andd you appear to be right wing soo there is no possibility of consensus!
Andrew always thinks before he speaks. =p