Innis Library?? maryam17 General Discussion 24 10-18-2009 11:18 AM
Parking on Weekends Goce General Discussion 12 11-13-2008 01:26 AM

Innis Library Closed on Weekends

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:32 PM   #1
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

Innis Library Closed on Weekends
Anyone else think this is complete bullsh*t? I mean we're paying customers and they're taking away services now? If they don't have the money or manpower for it, take it from somewhere else, like 1280, which has been shown to do nothing but hemorrhage money.

Where are the MSU and SRA in all of this? If I was part of those organizations, I would be adamant with the university that the library is a crucial resource for students and I would do anything possible in keeping the library open. But once again, the student government has proven to be completely useless in any and all matters which are actually important to students.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:41 PM   #2
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

DannyV, NowHere like this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:49 PM   #3
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I don't know where you find this stuff lol.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:51 PM   #4
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Its a huge deal for commerce students. Considering that the majority of there tests take place on saturdays and many of the upper year group presentations take place on a monday. A friend of mine forwarded this email to me. Apparently the cut in hours is attributable to an increase in hours available to play games in the media center in mills. Heres a copy of the email:
Commerce students,

Many of you may now be aware that Innis Library, our library, is now closed at 6 pm on Fridays, and is not open at all on weekends. As you may have realized, this is a huge inconvenience when it comes to preparing for our regularly occurring weekend midterms, and research based group reports that frequently have a Monday due dates.

Worst of all, the man hours that have been taken from Innis, have been allocated to other areas of the University, including the new Lyons Media Center in Mills Library. It's hard to believe that they can justify the removal of access to our required reserve materials, study spaces, computer area, and collaboration rooms so that some students can play video games on campus.

This educational asset has been taken from us, without our consent or even our opinion asked.

According to the University Library Administration, a tight budget is to blame for these cut backs. However, why are we, the paying customers, and primary stakeholders in this University, being punished for an overallocation of funds to the wrong areas?

Educational resources have been taken from us. But what's next? If we don't stand up for ourselves when we disagree with something, who knows what will be taken from us next.

I encourage you all to take action into your own hands.

Here are 3 ways to have your voice heard:

1) Sign the petition that has been circulating in classrooms and around the school of Business. If you have not had the opportunity to sign, come to the Commerce Society office, DSB 131.

2) Send an email straight to the source of this decision.

Anne Pottier, Associate University Librarian - [email protected]

Anne Pottier,

I completely disagree with the decisions to reduce the operating hours of Innis Library on Fridays and to close the library altogether on weekends. I urge the University Library Administration to reconsider this decision, and to return this educational asset back to Commerce students.

Sincerely,

(your name)

3)File a complaint in the Library Suggestion Box.

http://library.mcmaster.ca/php/suggestionbox.php

You all pay for, and deserve access to Innis throughout the week. It's up to all of us get it back.
Old 11-07-2010 at 07:20 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Ironically, The DCS & SRA Commerce Reps have been floating around a petition and letter writing campaign last week. I will link this thread to one of them.

Also the MSU can't pay for the Library to stay open, at best they can lobby and petition them to do so. The costs will be way to much for the MSU to be taking "your" student fees and then paying for something you already pay the university for.

To my understanding they've closed of Innis and reduced an hour for main area of Mills to fund the 24 hour learning commons. There are as usual the department wide budget cuts due to the $100 mil deficit the university is facing, stuff is being cut all over campus.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 11-07-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-07-2010 at 07:28 PM   #6
Yakattack
Chatbot 2.0

Liked: 80 Times

Yeah it kinda sucks that this is happening
Old 11-07-2010 at 09:09 PM   #7
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I'm so happy I will be out of Mac soon, this school has become such a joke. The quality of everything has declined so much over the years.
Old 11-07-2010 at 09:18 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I'm so happy I will be out of Mac soon, this school has become such a joke. The quality of everything has declined so much over the years.
going to another school to finish your degree in burger flipping!?

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo oooooooooooooo!

Old 11-07-2010 at 09:27 PM   #9
NowHere

Liked: 14 Times

Thanks Kendoon for the opening, I couldn't wait to try this out.

Might I replace your NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo oooooooooooooo! with the following?

http://www.nooooooooooooooo. com/

EDIT: It's a real website, try it out.

Last edited by NowHere : 11-07-2010 at 10:13 PM.

MacPack likes this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 09:40 PM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
going to another school to finish your degree in burger flipping!?

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo oooooooooooooo!

Yeah, you should too.