MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English Courses depamr Academics 2 06-07-2013 11:02 AM
level 2 comp eng courses inquiry Kevinabrahak Academics 4 05-27-2012 09:33 AM
Inquiry 1hu3 Inquiry In The Humanities Chad 1st Year Course Reviews 13 09-08-2010 11:46 PM
Inquiry Courses James First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-28-2008 10:54 PM
Inquiry Courses kayleech Academics 11 06-26-2008 01:23 PM

Inquiry about the english courses at MAC

Old 08-31-2013 at 09:11 PM   #1
Need2knowme

Liked: 0 Times

Inquiry about the english courses at MAC
Hi,
I want to take 2 English courses at mac to fulfil the requirements of med school (and other school outside of Canada, particularly US). Does it matter which english course I take?
So far I have decided to take english 1A03 and I need another to fulfil the 1 year requirement. Which english course would you suggest? I am looking for a course that has moderate level of readings (not very time consuming).

Any suggestions/ experiences?
Old 09-02-2013 at 11:04 AM   #2
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

1) It doesn't matter which English course you take, but most people opt to take first year courses.

2) there is no such thing as a non-time consuming English course. The difficulty of the classes ranges from professor to professor, but be prepared to do a lot of reading and a lot of analysis for your readings.

Perhaps you should list what interests you, so people could help you out a bit more.

Need2knowme says thanks to AelyaS for this post.

Need2knowme likes this.
Old 09-02-2013 at 05:19 PM   #3
Need2knowme

Liked: 0 Times

I do understand that English courses are very time consuming, but I just wanted to know of the ones that do not require as much of essay writing/assignments as other English courses. I am interested in philosophy, and I love presenting information. The only thing that bums me out a little is the amount of detail certain English teachers go into to interpret what the author is saying.

These are the courses that I am looking into:
ENGLISH 1AA3
ENGLISH 1CS3
ENGLISH 2J03 POPULAR CULTURE
Old 09-02-2013 at 10:11 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Every English course requires a lot of reading and text analysis. As Aelya said, you should consider the types of novels you are interested in. A look at the book lists for different English course for this year might be helpful, although lists will change next year depending on the professor.

First year English classes typically require two essays (for 3 credit courses). 6 credit classes require thre essays, although the third one is longer than the first two. The whole point of reading the texts is to analyze them, so put your thinking hat on! You may want to consider 1C06, which overs early English literature. However, for your purposes I would suggest 1A03 and 1CS3. 1A03 is Shorter Genres and requires a lighter reading load than other courses. Dr. York is also teaching it this year, and she is terrific. 1CS3 is Cultural Studies and usually covers more conceptual reading than other courses.

Good luck!

Need2knowme says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 09-03-2013 at 10:34 AM   #5
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Don't take 1CS3. It's such a useless course. I'd recommend you take 1A03 and 1AA3 (I never took 1C06 though).

Need2knowme says thanks to Frankenseuss for this post.