MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
Summer school psps Academics 0 03-23-2011 07:30 AM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

How intense is summer school?

Old 10-05-2011 at 10:06 PM   #1
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

How intense is summer school?
How much time does taking a course such as the first Orgo course during really take up? Would one still have time to enjoy summer while obviously still studying on a regular basis, or does taking such a course force you to dedicate that entire time to studying/doing problems?
Old 10-05-2011 at 10:18 PM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
How much time does taking a course such as the first Orgo course during really take up? Would one still have time to enjoy summer while obviously still studying on a regular basis, or does taking such a course force you to dedicate that entire time to studying/doing problems?
FOCUS ON CHEM 1A03!!

That's my way of saying I have no idea.
Old 10-05-2011 at 10:32 PM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Think of it this way...three-hour lectures twice a week, plus a three hour lab every week.

I, personally, can't stand sitting for that long. o___o If you can do it, awesome. But I suppose you'll have to practice a lot...
Old 10-06-2011 at 12:01 AM   #4
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

It is actually pretty intense but if you organize your time well you can enjoy your summer as well. Orgo involves a LOT of practice!

I wouldn't recommend doing summer school all throughout your undergrad, though. You would probably burn out during the regular school year.
Old 10-06-2011 at 08:59 AM   #5
Philipp31
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
It is actually pretty intense but if you organize your time well you can enjoy your summer as well. Orgo involves a LOT of practice!

I wouldn't recommend doing summer school all throughout your undergrad, though. You would probably burn out during the regular school year.
Yeah i just want to get orgo out of the way, its probably the only summer school course ill take!
Old 10-06-2011 at 05:46 PM   #6
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

summerschool is a good way to ruin your summer, especially if you're working.
Old 10-06-2011 at 06:05 PM   #7
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Two summers ago, I took one course. I worked part-time as well as going to school and didn't find it a problem.

This past summer, I took four (a full time course load). Yes, it was intense, but I specifically took classes that I knew I'd enjoy so it wouldn't seem like such a chore. It's a lot more work because the length of a class is essentially cut in half, so it's very fast-paced. I found readings hard to keep up on.

I only had 3 weeks off before the Fall semester so, I really didn't feel like I had much of a break at all, unfortunately. I really wasn't ready for school to start again as I felt like I needed more time to recuperate. The three hour lectures were tiring, especially because they were evening classes that went from 7-10 PM. You have to be ready to write for 3 hoirs and obviously stay alert because there's really no time to fall behind. I was in school 4 nights a week so I was pretty exhausted. However, if you're dedicated, you can definitely do it. JUst keep on your game.

That said, I don't know if I'd recommend it as it's definitely not for everyone. If it's only one class you're looking at taking, however, it should be no problem.

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 10-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.

alyssarr likes this.
Old 10-06-2011 at 08:23 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i took orgo this past summer plus worked full time... it was a great deal of work juggling the two but it was doable

Last edited by giftedchick : 10-06-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: 4got a letter
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:03 PM   #9
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I would definitely recommend taking orgo in the summer, even though I didn't (a decision I may regret this year)

If orgo or chemistry in general isn't your thing, taking it in the summer gives you a chance to focus solely on that course, instead of juggling four other courses at the same time. You'll have plenty of time to complete assignments, prepare for labs and study for midterms/exams

Buddastotle likes this.
Old 10-07-2011 at 06:23 PM   #10
muons

Liked: 84 Times

Definitely take it in the summer
Old 10-09-2011 at 10:21 AM   #11
Philipp31
Elite Member

Thanks so much!