MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting Data zeChinaman General Discussion 14 04-12-2010 04:22 PM
Did You Know? Interesting Facts! EasternHeat General Discussion 241 09-03-2009 04:42 PM
Some rather Interesting websites! :0 huzaifa47 General Discussion 4 08-26-2009 09:21 PM
Interesting Videos.... lorend General Discussion 7 03-15-2009 03:57 PM
Interesting video... 'hugs' Chad Computers & Tech 4 10-16-2006 03:18 PM

Interesting World News

Old 04-09-2009 at 02:45 AM   #1
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times

Interesting World News
During my news-reading round, I came across some interesting news from all over the world. I'm going to post some of the interesting news articles, and hopefully you guys can add to the discussion by posting some news you found interesting. Lets turn this topic more into a news-sharing post than a news-debating post.

1) Teens locked Up for life without a second chance

2) Kim 're-elected' as North-Korean Leader

3) Poll: Fewer Americans support stricter gun control laws

4) Afghans suffocate in smuggling bid (mild warning)

5) Fuel from banana waste & Child robot mimicks Infant Learning (this link goes to a cover page and the stories might change, but they will still be interesting!)

Remember that it's a global citizen's responsibility to be aware and informed of current news. That way we can think on an international scale, and good change can come. It's hard to get interested when there are so many distractions to fill up our time. I encourage you to take some time out of your day to go though the web sites of different news agencies around the world.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 04-09-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2009 at 02:54 AM   #2
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

first story isn't linked, fyi

Alvand says thanks to Maegs for this post.
Old 04-09-2009 at 07:02 PM   #3
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

1st story:

people dont usually change.. and i would not give people second chances to find out if they are the ones that are willing to change..

the kid in the news, Quantel Lotts, probably feels like he doesnt deserve what he got because of media.. he is there to learn from his mistakes and not to feel like society has wrongly convicted him
Old 04-09-2009 at 08:50 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
1st story:

people dont usually change.. and i would not give people second chances to find out if they are the ones that are willing to change..

the kid in the news, Quantel Lotts, probably feels like he doesnt deserve what he got because of media.. he is there to learn from his mistakes and not to feel like society has wrongly convicted him
How is he going to learn anything if he's in there forever? That's like killing a murderer to teach them that killing is wrong... it doesn't make any sense if they can't demonstrate that they actually learned something in the end.

I find it a little ridiculous that this guy received a life sentence at only 14. I've known many people who were retarded when they were 14, but have since matured.
Old 04-10-2009 at 12:35 PM   #5
snaps

that is exactly what i believe in.. "killing a murderer to teach them that killing is wrong"

otherwise.. it would end up being, 'you just killed a person, so just dont do it again..'

if we give a second chance.. or in some cases three chances also known as "three strikes out" in the states, we are basically saying that we are willing to let two or three innocent people die to find out if a convict is willing to learn from his mistakes.. so in the end, we end up loosing 3 or 4 people including the convict.. and dont forget the tragedy that the families go through.. you have 4 peoples' families that end up being destroyed so that would be another 10 or so people per person..

in my opinion, i am willing to sentence someone to life or capital punishment to save other two people and their families..

its for the greater good.. even if the convict is willing to change..

-snaps
Old 04-11-2009 at 11:42 AM   #6
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

3)

Conceal and Carry would be good in this country (this would include lifting the ban on small pistols), as would be a lift of the pointless clip capacity limitations for semi-automatic rifles and pistols.

I’d wager that the gun control lobby is losing steam because most of their demands had been met – and failed to do anything, while states that pass conceal and carry have seen significant drops in all types of crime. For example, the Rape rate in Canada is 2.5 times as high as the average Rape rate in a US State with Conceal and Carry laws.

Hell there’s even a Facebook group for Conceal and Carry on CAMPUS! : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2383535 699

How do the cops stop a maniac shooting up a University Campus? They Shoot Him.

Why not let students shoot him instead before he can kill dozens of people? Why not at least let Mac 5-0 carry guns so they can shoot him? What’s the worst that could happen?

Virginia State was a “Gun Free Zone” where conceal and carry permit holders were not allowed to carry their handguns. Do criminals respond to “Gun Free Zone” signs or do they respond to good people shooting back at them?

Last edited by Alex McColl : 04-11-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-11-2009 at 12:15 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

McMaster Security Officers are PEACE officers so there is a reason they don't carry a gun.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-11-2009 at 01:44 PM   #8
snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
McMaster Security Officers are PEACE officers so there is a reason they don't carry a gun.
I am not sure what you mean by the term "peace officer". Are they suppose to talk a guy out of shooting up our campus?

Giving them guns would not only make them look more "scary" but it will also give the security officers more courage to step in. I heard that one of the officers got beat up a long time ago, which would have never happened if they were to carry a weapon.

Alex McColl says thanks to snaps for this post.
Old 04-11-2009 at 06:07 PM   #9
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
that is exactly what i believe in.. "killing a murderer to teach them that killing is wrong"

otherwise.. it would end up being, 'you just killed a person, so just dont do it again..'

if we give a second chance.. or in some cases three chances also known as "three strikes out" in the states, we are basically saying that we are willing to let two or three innocent people die to find out if a convict is willing to learn from his mistakes.. so in the end, we end up loosing 3 or 4 people including the convict.. and dont forget the tragedy that the families go through.. you have 4 peoples' families that end up being destroyed so that would be another 10 or so people per person..

in my opinion, i am willing to sentence someone to life or capital punishment to save other two people and their families..

-snaps
scroll down to three strikes, its from a comedy website but some good points on the three strikes rule.
http://www.cracked.com/article_17216...dont-work.html
Old 04-11-2009 at 10:26 PM   #10
snaps

hahaha, very nice article.. thx
Old 04-11-2009 at 10:37 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
Random guy in crowd: "What? He got re-elected?!?! Who would vote for this guy? Sure as hell not m"~~*whip crack of guard*

Guy: "I-I-I mean horray.....the Supreme Leader will still lead our country to glory for many years to come!" *claps enthusiastically*:app lause:
Old 04-14-2009 at 08:25 PM   #12
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:

-snaps
Things are not so simple.
How do you deal with wrongfully convicted?
Old 04-14-2009 at 08:51 PM   #13
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Johann Hari: You are being lied to about pirates

</EM>
Some are clearly just gangsters. But others are trying to stop illegal dumping and trawling

Who imagined that in 2009, the world's governments would be declaring a new War on Pirates? As you read this, the British Royal Navy – backed by the ships of more than two dozen nations, from the US to China – is sailing into Somalian waters to take on men we still picture as parrot-on-the-shoulder pantomime villains. They will soon be fighting Somalian ships and even chasing the pirates onto land, into one of the most broken countries on earth. But behind the arrr-me-hearties oddness of this tale, there is an untold scandal. The people our governments are labelling as "one of the great menaces of our times" have an extraordinary story to tell – and some justice on their side.

Pirates have never been quite who we think they are. In the "golden age of piracy" – from 1650 to 1730 – the idea of the pirate as the senseless, savage Bluebeard that lingers today was created by the British government in a great propaganda heave. Many ordinary people believed it was false: pirates were often saved from the gallows by supportive crowds. Why? What did they see that we can't? In his book Villains Of All Nations, the historian Marcus Rediker pores through the evidence.
If you became a merchant or navy sailor then – plucked from the docks of London's East End, young and hungry – you ended up in a floating wooden Hell. You worked all hours on a cramped, half-starved ship, and if you slacked off, the all-powerful captain would whip you with the Cat O' Nine Tails. If you slacked often, you could be thrown overboard. And at the end of months or years of this, you were often cheated of your wages.
Pirates were the first people to rebel against this world. They mutinied – and created a different way of working on the seas. Once they had a ship, the pirates elected their captains, and made all their decisions collectively, without torture. They shared their bounty out in what Rediker calls "one of the most egalitarian plans for the disposition of resources to be found anywhere in the eighteenth century".
They even took in escaped African slaves and lived with them as equals. The pirates showed "quite clearly – and subversively – that ships did not have to be run in the brutal and oppressive ways of the merchant service and the Royal Navy." This is why they were romantic heroes, despite being unproductive thieves.
The words of one pirate from that lost age, a young British man called William Scott, should echo into this new age of piracy. Just before he was hanged in Charleston, South Carolina, he said: "What I did was to keep me from perishing. I was forced to go a-pirateing to live." In 1991, the government of Somalia collapsed. Its nine million people have been teetering on starvation ever since – and the ugliest forces in the Western world have seen this as a great opportunity to steal the country's food supply and dump our nuclear waste in their seas.
Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.
Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, the UN envoy to Somalia, tells me: "Somebody is dumping nuclear material here. There is also lead, and heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury – you name it." Much of it can be traced back to European hospitals and factories, who seem to be passing it on to the Italian mafia to "dispose" of cheaply. When I asked Mr Ould-Abdallah what European governments were doing about it, he said with a sigh: "Nothing. There has been no clean-up, no compensation, and no prevention."
At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood. We have destroyed our own fish stocks by overexploitation – and now we have moved on to theirs. More than $300m-worth of tuna, shrimp, and lobster are being stolen every year by illegal trawlers. The local fishermen are now starving. Mohammed Hussein, a fisherman in the town of Marka 100km south of Mogadishu, told Reuters: "If nothing is done, there soon won't be much fish left in our coastal waters."
This is the context in which the "pirates" have emerged. Somalian fishermen took speedboats to try to dissuade the dumpers and trawlers, or at least levy a "tax" on them. They call themselves the Volunteer Coastguard of Somalia – and ordinary Somalis agree. The independent Somalian news site WardheerNews found 70 per cent "strongly supported the piracy as a form of national defence".
No, this doesn't make hostage-taking justifiable, and yes, some are clearly just gangsters – especially those who have held up World Food Programme supplies. But in a telephone interview, one of the pirate leaders, Sugule Ali: "We don't consider ourselves sea bandits. We consider sea bandits [to be] those who illegally fish and dump in our seas." William Scott would understand.
Did we expect starving Somalians to stand passively on their beaches, paddling in our toxic waste, and watch us snatch their fish to eat in restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We won't act on those crimes – the only sane solution to this problem – but when some of the fishermen responded by disrupting the transit-corridor for 20 per cent of the world's oil supply, we swiftly send in the gunboats.
The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarised by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know "what he meant by keeping possession of the sea." The pirate smiled, and responded: "What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor." Once again, our great imperial fleets sail – but who is the robber?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A very thought provoking read, are we really told the truth by what our media says? I'm not glorifying taking hostages and capturing U.N food supplies by any means; but dumping toxic waste and ignoring their international water rights just because the government is in a state of anarchy is legitimate? Wow

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 04-14-2009 at 09:39 PM   #14
snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Things are not so simple.
How do you deal with wrongfully convicted?

everyone argues about these things because there is no "right" answer.. there are just opinions.. and then there is the law that tries to make most people happy..

every situation is different and we cannot generalize cases. No one knows how many wrongfully convicted people are there.. The world is not fair.. right now we could be arguing about lets juts say a hundred people wrongfully convicted while there are a lot more people being killed in other countries for other reasons.. and i can safely assume that most of those people are innocent.. there is no way to completely make everything fair. we can only try to make it fair for as many people as we can.. Lately, i have seen a lot of cases where convicts are getting away because the media portrays them as being punished too severily.. personally, i think its a waste of time trying to argue if a convict should spend 4 or 10 years in jail.. there are better things i would rather argue about..

speaking of wrongfully convicted.. have you heard of Steven Truscott? There is an awesome book called "Until you are Dead"
Old 04-14-2009 at 10:33 PM   #15
Alex McColl

Liked: 11 Times

Please show your work (aka reference material).

As usual a more in depth review yields interesting results:

“Local warlords, many of them former ministers in Siad Barre’s last government, received large payments from Swiss and Italian firms for access to their respective fiefdoms.“

“Most of the waste was simply dumped on remote beaches in containers and leaking disposable barrels.“

“The European Green Party followed up the revelations by presenting to the press and the European Parliament in Strasbourg copies of contracts signed by the two companies and representatives of the then “President” — Ali Mahdi Mohamed — to accept 10 million tonnes of toxic waste in exchange for $80 million (then about £60 million)."

"Mr Ali Mahdi, who then controlled north Mogadishu and who worked closely with the UN during its disastrous 1992-95 humanitarian mission to the country, has always refused to discuss the issue even though an Italian parliamentary report subsequently confirmed many of the allegations.”

- http://www.timesonline.co.uk /tol/news/world/article418665.ece

Many available news sources also point out that this dumping is illegal under both Swiss and Italian law and that it has more to do with organized crime than western imperialism.

I’m also not one to let an insult to the Royal Navy go without a response. I’ll even respond in kind, with a huge excerpt written by someone else:

By the 1840s the navy’s African squadron, now 35 vessels strong, was starting to have a real impact. In 1833 Britain had abolished slavery in all its possessions, including the West Indies (it had been illegal in Britain since 1772). Britain has also forced other nations to accept an “equipment clause” as part of the slave trade ban, finally allowing ships to be seized and condemned simply for carrying the equipment of the trade, such as shackles in the hold or ventilation gratings between decks, or even just extra water and food casks.

Foreign minister Lord Palmerston then told the British navy it was free to stop and search any ship flying the Stars and Stripes, as long as it had good reason to believe its captain and crew were not actually American nationals. This in turn forced the American government to set up its own anti-slave trade patrol, to stop and inspect its merchants crossing the Atlantic before the British did. It was not until 1862, when President Abraham Lincoln agreed to allow search and seizure by Royal Navy vessels, that this major leak in the slave traffic ban was finally shut down. But Palmerston’s forthright action had forced the Americans to confront their own consciences and shifted the diplomatic focus to the slave trade’s source of demand, the plantation economics of the Western Hemisphere.

Indeed, it was the navy’s campaign to plug the remaining holes that would lead to Britain to annex Lagos in 1861 and to begin opening the so-called Dark Continent to European colonization. At the same time, a new trading economy was springing up along Africa’s western shores, with merchants from London and Liverpool carrying in inexpensive manufactured goods and taking away palm oil instead of human beings, to grease the whirling wheels of the Industrial Revolution. The end of West Africa’s slave trade, the last surviving servant of the old world system, marked the close of one era. The arrival of direct British rule marked the opening of another. For all its setbacks and occasional hypocrisies, the campaign against the slave trade had succeeded, giving the Royal Navy an altruistic humanitarian gloss it never quite lost. It also marked the triumph of what would come to be known as “gunboat diplomacy.” The assertion of Britain’s will through the mere appearance of its all-powerful navy.

Its masterful pioneer as Lord Palmerston. His success in bullying Brazil was followed by the Don Pacifico case in 1850. Pacifico, a Portuguese-Jewish merchant born in Gibraltar, had had his life threatened and his house destroyed in an anti-Semitic riot in Athens. Since his birth in Gibraltar made him a British subject, the British government demanded that the Greeks pay restitution. When the Greeks were slow to act, Palmerston dispatched part of the Mediterranean fleet to seize Greek shipping in Athens’s port of Piraeus and display its guns across the harbor.

The international outcry was tremendous. France withdrew its ambassador from London; even the House of Lords raised a vote of censure against Palmerston. But Palmerston replied that just as in the days of the Roman Empire, a Roman citizen was free from any unlawful arrest or attack, “so also a British subject, in whatever land he may be, shall feel confident that the watchful eye and strong arm of England will protect against injustice and wrong.” The remark made Palmerston the most popular politician in Britain.

- Page 422-423 To Rule the Waves by Arthur Herman

By definition the slave traders were pirates and it all came to an end at the height of the Pax Britannica. This weekend’s rescue of Captain Richard Phillips from Pirates by US Navy Seals shows that we live in the age of the Pax Americana. (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1489770 )

Or as John Stewart put it tonight on the Daily Show, it’s the age of “America **** Yeah!”