MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rez internet downloading limit cjdzl General Discussion 12 09-24-2010 09:26 PM
One Bag Limit laurastevens MacInsiders Announcements 29 03-27-2010 02:29 AM
How is bandwidth calculated? lawleypop General Discussion 31 09-14-2009 02:37 PM
Internet speed/bandwidth caps Juicebox General Discussion 11 05-11-2009 09:38 PM
MacInsiders Peaking Bandwidth Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-27-2008 10:37 PM

Internet bandwidth limit

Old 07-13-2008 at 12:23 AM   #31
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

hey guys I have 3 qs:

1. Is there a way of checking the bandwidth you've used in one day?
2. Is the bandwidth per ip adress or per computer (so for ex if your friend comes and uses your internet)?
3. How do you use the internet if your in your rez building in one of the study rooms or a common room?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2008 at 08:27 AM   #32
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Can we connect wirelessly, or should I bring my ethernet cable?
Old 07-13-2008 at 12:01 PM   #33
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leraison
1. Is there a way of checking the bandwidth you've used in one day?
2. Is the bandwidth per ip adress or per computer (so for ex if your friend comes and uses your internet)?
3. How do you use the internet if your in your rez building in one of the study rooms or a common room?
1. There might be, but I unfortunately don't know
2. From my understanding, it's per ip address. Everyone in residence gets their own ethernet jack and I think we all have unique IDs on the same subnet. If someone brings over their laptop and plugs into your jack, it still counts as your internet usage.
3. There are ethernet wall jacks in the study rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin100
Can we connect wirelessly, or should I bring my ethernet cable?
Like Eva said, residence doesn't have wireless, so you'll need a cable.

Leraison says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 07-13-2008 at 02:30 PM   #34
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

the only way to get wireless is to bring your own router and set it up yourself from your room.

the only place i know in residence that has wireless is the study rooms of les prince and if you're in the lobby of mary e. keyes you will get it. the wireless can get to the 2nd floor of keyes study rooms if you're computer can detect it. hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2009 at 07:50 PM   #35
Chimmy

Liked: Liked 2 Times

You can download a bandwidth monitor to keep track of what you use. I'm sure they'll be on popular sites like download.com, and they are very small files. Just be sure to scan it before you open
Old 03-04-2009 at 08:19 PM   #36
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

there is no more download limit on res.
They removed it a couple of months ago. Don't know why.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 03-08-2009 at 10:53 PM   #37
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth526 View Post
Thanks for the replies thus far!

I've actually been transitioning out of the torrent mindset lately since my home ISP (Rogers Cable) is enforcing their torrent throttle policy, which kills download speeds and renders seeding virtually impossible, thus making everyone slow leachers.

2 Gb/day is actually quite good compared to what other schools are getting and practically matches Rogers' bandwidth cap (60 Gb/month). Mind you, I still average around 6-7 Gb/day at home, so I'll have some cutting back to do ;-)
Ahh *sniff*
God bless newsgroups. Don't even have a need for torrents