MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meal plans jdia General Discussion 3 11-06-2009 10:26 PM
OSAP and Payment Plans! hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-14-2009 11:35 AM
payment plans on solar, need help oDianao First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-13-2009 11:03 PM
Meal Plans katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-04-2008 11:25 PM
Meal Plans J-Met First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2008 10:55 AM

Internet Plans

Old 08-13-2009 at 12:59 AM   #46
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
This seriously sucks. Bell acts like they friggin wired up Canada themselves. I remember reading somewhere that the construction of most of the communications lines they use was government funded. Why the hell does Bell think it belongs to them?

Anyway, don't worry though guys, according to my mom (she's in advertising) there are some serious competitors getting prepared to knock down Bell and Rogers' domination of the communication infrastructure in Canada . This all has to do with certain wireless spectrums being sold off after a lot of analog broadcasting stations got shut down (therefore, they're starting with cell phones).

Maybe we'll finally be able to upgrade from friggin 5 - 10 Mb/s DSL internet like the rest of the world after competition sets in.
Yeah, but I've been hearing about this bid for like 2 years now... How much longer must we wait?
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:25 AM   #47
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, but I've been hearing about this bid for like 2 years now... How much longer must we wait?
three cell phone companies are starting up this year...

well, globalive (which is going by wind wireless) should be up in a couple months, and DAVE and public mobile to follow.

not sure when more ISPs will be coming in though.
Old 08-13-2009 at 08:30 AM   #48
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
three cell phone companies are starting up this year...

well, globalive (which is going by wind wireless) should be up in a couple months, and DAVE and public mobile to follow.

not sure when more ISPs will be coming in though.
About time ^-^
Old 08-13-2009 at 12:06 PM   #49
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I was about to call Teksavvy and switch to them the day that Cogeco upgraded all their tiers lol. I went from 3Mbps to 7.5Mbps download and my upload it 0.8Mbps. My cap also increased from 20GB to 30GB! More than enough for me! You should take a look at their new tiers and the upgrades.
Old 08-14-2009
sarahenn
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-14-2009 at 12:37 PM   #50
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Wifi Hotspots for Cogeco users in Hamilton: http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/on/en/res... &H=9&lang=en

-----------------------

So, I need advice/help.

I'll be living in a one bedroom place next year, and I'm wondering what package I should be getting.

I won't be getting cable, so I'll be watching/downloading (a mix of the two) TV off the internet. I don't do any gaming. I also won't have a phone line hooked up.

Suggestions?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-14-2009 at 02:23 PM   #51
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

I'd recommend teksavvy since they are cheap and have high bandwidth caps for downloading your tv shows. Also companies like cogeco usually get you to sign contracts.
Old 08-14-2009 at 02:26 PM   #52
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
I'd recommend teksavvy since they are cheap and have high bandwidth caps for downloading your tv shows. Also companies like cogeco usually get you to sign contracts.
Doesn't that mean I'd be paying an extra $40 to set up though since I don't have a phone line?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-14-2009 at 02:48 PM   #53
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

I think there is a $20 activation fee if you dont have a phone line and the monthly charge for dry loop which $7.25. So you will pay about 37.25 per month plus taxes.

http://www.teksavvy.com/en/resdrydsl.asp?ID=7&mI D=1
Old 08-14-2009 at 06:45 PM   #54
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Band Rate depends on where your house is located. Right off McMaster is 9.10 (Band Rate B) for houses. That's what I'm paying anyways.

Also remember, 200GB includes both downloads AND uploads. So if you are one of those people that send lots of attachments through e-mails or post videos on youtube, then be careful. But 200GB is still a lot.
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:32 PM   #55
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaseen_360 View Post
I think there is a $20 activation fee if you dont have a phone line and the monthly charge for dry loop which $7.25. So you will pay about 37.25 per month plus taxes.

http://www.teksavvy.com/en/resdrydsl.asp?ID=7&mI D=1
At that price you could get Cogeco LITE Plus. 7Mbps DOWN and 0.8Mbps UP. The only thing is the 30GB cap. Depending on how much your thinking of downloading it may or may not be a problem. I've never gone above 25GB in a month and I too watch movies/tv shows on my laptop and I also use it for gaming quite a bit. So I'd say 30GB is just enough for the average user. Why not get a bandwidth monitor and see how much you use a month just to get an idea. The reason I suggest Cogeco aswell is that with Teksavvy you are not guaranteed 5Mbps and I dont know how reliable they are. I've been with Cogeco and haven't had a SINGLE problem for over 4 years.
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:37 PM   #56
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
At that price you could get Cogeco LITE Plus. 7Mbps DOWN and 0.8Mbps UP. The only thing is the 30GB cap. Depending on how much your thinking of downloading it may or may not be a problem. I've never gone above 25GB in a month and I too watch movies/tv shows on my laptop and I also use it for gaming quite a bit. So I'd say 30GB is just enough for the average user. Why not get a bandwidth monitor and see how much you use a month just to get an idea. The reason I suggest Cogeco aswell is that with Teksavvy you are not guaranteed 5Mbps and I dont know how reliable they are. I've been with Cogeco and haven't had a SINGLE problem for over 4 years.
I'm pretty sure cable internet is more unreliable than phone internet. Cable internet comes from the cable box so speed it dependant on how many people are using the service. Phone internet comes from your phone lines so speed depends on how maintained your phone lines are.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:00 PM   #57
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure cable internet is more unreliable than phone internet. Cable internet comes from the cable box so speed it dependant on how many people are using the service. Phone internet comes from your phone lines so speed depends on how maintained your phone lines are.
DSL also depends on how far you are from the CO not the case with Cable. Also I've never experienced a significant speed decrease especially during peek hours.
Another reason to hold out on Teksavvy for now http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r228...CRTC-Descision similar info posted above. I'm just reading through the thread myself seems like a riot hahaha.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:04 PM   #58
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
DSL also depends on how far you are from the CO not the case with Cable. Also I've never experienced a significant speed decrease especially during peek hours.
Another reason to hold out on Teksavvy for now http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r228...CRTC-Descision similar info posted above. I'm just reading through the thread myself seems like a riot hahaha.
True, I forgot about the distance for phone internet.

I like how Teksavvy doesn't have a contract though. If anything happens I can just cancel.
Old 08-14-2009 at 09:09 PM   #59
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Band Rate depends on where your house is located. Right off McMaster is 9.10 (Band Rate B) for houses. That's what I'm paying anyways.

Also remember, 200GB includes both downloads AND uploads. So if you are one of those people that send lots of attachments through e-mails or post videos on youtube, then be careful. But 200GB is still a lot.
Is there a way to know which Band Rate you have to pay? I don't live far from McMaster now but, hrrm.

Looking at the site, it seems like TekSavvy has a lot of random extra fees. It's not really 30 bucks a month is it.