MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
internet service providers bowlerman13 Computers & Tech 31 10-30-2010 06:05 AM
Internet Service Providers Deegs14 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 35 08-31-2010 11:14 AM
Cheapest Rogers Phone Plan? Allan Computers & Tech 47 06-07-2010 09:25 PM
Guitar Discussion VastHorizon General Discussion 51 10-02-2009 06:10 PM
New Course Discussion Forum Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 08-12-2007 05:46 PM

Internet providers discussion (which is cheapest/best?)

Old 07-10-2009 at 02:55 PM   #31
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I've used Cogeco for the past 8 years, and they've been awesome, at least in comparison to the alternatives. Yeah, it's a 60 GB combined up/down limit, but I exceeded that countless times, and all they did was send emails saying I was over. Never got a single extra charge. When my roommate stiffed me on money and I fell behind on the bill, all i had to do was call them and explain the situation, and they let it slide until I could afford to pay it again. Plus having 24/7 support, from people that speak fluent English is nice when your internet dies at 3 AM.
Really...? Last year when my housemates and I had them, they charged us every month for overages; even if it was ridiculously small.

Maybe we were just unlucky :(
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:57 PM   #32
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I have had Cogeco for a few years now and they've been great but lately with their enforcement of the caps its not worth it anymore. Cogeco used to let the overages slide but starting June 1 they will charge you ~2.00/GB over your limit depending on the package. So I'm switching to Tekksavvy. All I've heard is great things about them. If you have any questions just post here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavdirect and a TSI rep will answer asap. You should also post your phone number or street to get a rough estimate of what speeds to expect on that private forum. (only TSI reps can view your posts)

Last edited by Bender : 07-10-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2009 at 02:58 PM   #33
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Really...? Last year when my housemates and I had them, they charged us every month for overages; even if it was ridiculously small.

Maybe we were just unlucky :(
Yeah. my old roommate still has the old emails, and I've got most of the bills. In all the time I was with them, the only "extras" I paid for were an overseas call, and the digital receiver, which I bought.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:02 PM   #34
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Yeah. my old roommate still has the old emails, and I've got most of the bills. In all the time I was with them, the only "extras" I paid for were an overseas call, and the digital receiver, which I bought.
Oh, it's probably because you were old customers. A lot of companies now, like Bell and Cogeco are starting to put more restrictions or are at least enforcing restrictions more on new customers. We only had only opened are account last year, so yeah :s
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:04 PM   #35
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I have had Cogeco for a few years now and they've been great but lately with their enforcement of the caps its not worth it anymore. Cogeco used to let the overages slide but starting June 1 they will charge you ~2.00/GB over your limit depending on the package. So I'm switching to Tekksavvy. All I've heard is great things about them. If you have any questions just post here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy~also=teksavd irect and a TSI rep will answer asap. You should also post your phone number or street to get a rough estimate of what speeds to expect on that private forum. (only TSI reps can view your posts)
Ya, TekSavvy's cool. The only thing that's not cool is if your house phone wiring sucks. I had to partially redo the wiring of the demarkation point in my home to get proper speeds :s.
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:05 PM   #36
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Oh, it's probably because you were old customers. A lot of companies now, like Bell and Cogeco are starting to put more restrictions or are at least enforcing restrictions more on new customers. We only had only opened are account last year, so yeah :s
That blows. I was looking forward to using them again when I moved to Hamilton. I don't think I could live like that though
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:08 PM   #37
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Ya, TekSavvy's cool. The only thing that's not cool is if your house phone wiring sucks. I had to partially redo the wiring of the demarkation point in my home to get proper speeds :s.
Ya thats what has me a little worried about switching. My house is pretty old but the TSI rep assured me I should get ~5M download. *crosses fingers*
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:09 PM   #38
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Ya thats what has me a little worried about switching. My house is pretty old but the TSI rep assured me I should get ~5M download. *crosses fingers*
Even if not, they can somehow get a bell tech guy to go to your house and fix it for free :p
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:14 PM   #39
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

I'm definately not a Bell fan. I signed a 3 year contract back when I got my own place, and about a year ago (with 1 year left), they attempted to start charging me new higher rates and remove the unlimited service I had signed into - without even telling me. Aparently a contract means nothing if you are Bell (or its loaded with fine print that prety much makes it valueless to you).

As for torrents - puretna FTW!
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:18 PM   #40
reeves
Jedi IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
As for torrents - puretna FTW!
That actually made me LOL
Old 07-10-2009 at 03:33 PM   #41
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

That is some dual core right there.

Old 07-10-2009 at 04:38 PM   #42
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

On the issue of bandwidth throttling:

Bell actually uses hardware that throttles speeds, so regardless of which DSL provider you use, it will be throttled to a degree.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2...throttling.ars
Old 07-10-2009 at 04:59 PM   #43
kanagaap

Liked: 0 Times

this may be a stupid question.. buh if ur given a cable for internet in ur residence.. y is it necessary to pay for internet
Old 07-10-2009 at 05:15 PM   #44
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanagaap View Post
this may be a stupid question.. buh if ur given a cable for internet in ur residence.. y is it necessary to pay for internet
We're talking about off-campus. :]

kanagaap says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-10-2009 at 06:54 PM   #45
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You should also take into account if the internet is provided over cable or over the phone lines.