End Goal Of Dating? Desda Dating & Relationships 279 12-09-2010 03:27 PM
Dating sites Katia Dating & Relationships 70 04-20-2010 01:31 PM
Some Dating Ideas… lorend Misc 4 09-30-2007 04:42 PM

interracial dating

Old 03-29-2012 at 07:28 PM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't get that lady near the end. She says she loves children, and she feels bad when half black/half white children get picked on and made fun of. Wtf? They get bullied because of people like HER.

CrashPlague says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

Old 03-29-2012 at 08:13 PM   #17
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I think interracial breeding is a personal choice...and is not a matter of right and wrong.

Some people believe they should marry within their own race because they feel its important to keep their culture, tradition, language, etc. These are things that are lost in an interracial relationship and mixed children.

I have cousins who are mixed, and they don't speak my family's native language. They have pretty much been outcasted from the family, as it is impossible for socialize during family gatherings. I feel bad for them, and its not their fault...it was the choice of their parents and now they have to suffer.

In a multi-cultural nation like Canada, I think interracial relationships are occurring more and more, and is easy for us to accept in our Canadian culture. However, in foreign nations that are dominated by a singular race...interracial marriages are outside of the norm, and I can see why people are against it.

Anyways, just my viewpoint. There are 2 sides to every story.
Old 03-29-2012 at 08:20 PM   #18
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I have cousins who are mixed, and they don't speak my family's native language. They have pretty much been outcasted from the family, as it is impossible for socialize during family gatherings. I feel bad for them, and its not their fault...it was the choice of their parents and now they have to suffer.
That sounds like the fault of the parents for not really pushing/encouraging their culture on their children than anything to do what their skin looks like. You can be white as a ghost and still be super-ethnic (maybe a bit awkward for a vanilla white dude to embrace his african heritige, though). I think using skin/morphological differences as a a complaint against loss of culture/tradition generally to be bullcrap.
Old 03-29-2012 at 08:21 PM   #19
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

im gona get a white chick and get a freakin hot kid :3
Old 03-29-2012 at 08:34 PM   #20
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
I think interracial breeding is a personal choice...and is not a matter of right and wrong.

Some people believe they should marry within their own race because they feel its important to keep their culture, tradition, language, etc. These are things that are lost in an interracial relationship and mixed children.
It's quite one thing to decide that you would prefer to marry someone of your own ethnicity/culture. Individuals can marry whoever the hell they want, obviously as long as there's consent and such. If you decide that this is an important aspect of compatibility to you, great. It's quite another thing to judge anyone else, ever, for choosing to marry someone of a different ethnicity/culture. This video was NOT a case of someone deciding what they want. This was a case of deciding what other people should want.

I do agree that family dynamics are extremely complicated. :(
Old 03-29-2012 at 08:35 PM   #21
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
That sounds like the fault of the parents for not really pushing/encouraging their culture on their children than anything to do what their skin looks like. You can be white as a ghost and still be super-ethnic (maybe a bit awkward for a vanilla white dude to embrace his african heritige, though). I think using skin/morphological differences as a a complaint against loss of culture/tradition generally to be bullcrap.
I'm not using skin color or morphological differences as a complaint against interracial relationships. I'm actually trying to say that there are larger issues to consider when dealing with interracial relationships, than simply appearances (and that it is not simply a matter of racism or hate).

And FYI, the problem with my cousins and with many mixed children are that they are usually pushed to the culture/language of only one of the parents. It wouldn't be practical for parents to speak to their children in 2 different languages, and the parents would be speaking to each other in 1 common language also, so that is what the kids pick up on. I'm not trying to fault my Aunt and Uncle either...we live in a complicated world...and it is what it is.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:05 PM   #22
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
I'm not using skin color or morphological differences as a complaint against interracial relationships. I'm actually trying to say that there are larger issues to consider when dealing with interracial relationships, than simply appearances (and that it is not simply a matter of racism or hate).

And FYI, the problem with my cousins and with many mixed children are that they are usually pushed to the culture/language of only one of the parents. It wouldn't be practical for parents to speak to their children in 2 different languages, and the parents would be speaking to each other in 1 common language also, so that is what the kids pick up on. I'm not trying to fault my Aunt and Uncle either...we live in a complicated world...and it is what it is.
definitely see where you're coming from, but a language barrier wouldn't be a deal breaker for me when finding a potential wife. I don't care about preserving my culture per say, but the values my parents passed on to me along with things I have learned for myself I would definitely want to pass on to my kids.

I have a lot of interracial cousins, and we just speak in english to them, it's universal and I don't find it awkward at all.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:27 PM   #23
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:

Many, many people speak different languages to their children. It's actually the best way for children to be brought up multilingual. It usually doesn't matter what the parents speak to each other, but what they speak to the child. Children have no problem code switching depending on the parent and will just automatically speak to mommy in English and daddy in French (for example).
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:33 PM   #24
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

I don't think people should use the basis of race when choosing a significant other. In the end its all about the connection the people have for each other. Why would you force yourself to marry the same race as you are just because of your race. There are more things to take into consideration besides a persons race.

Sometimes its the culture of the person is what matters more than the race. I have friends who are non-caucasian who grew up here in Canada and feel more connected with the Canadian culture than the culture of their race. Therefore, they themselves prefer hanging out with people who associate more with the Canadian culture because there is a common connection, and is not purely based on race.

I also have a friend who is white but was born and grew up in Kenya. She associates more with the Kenyan culture. She told me that she feels more herself when she hangs out with people who have more connection with the Kenyan culture. She told me that even if her parents were white Canadian, she still feels more Kenyan and prefers marrying someone who feels connected with the Kenyan culture. She said she does find it hard to connect with her Canadian cousins.

So in the end its all about connection and mutual understanding. Its not about the race of the person. That's just my opinion.

dreamer21, sarahsullz, tyrant like this.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:38 PM   #25
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
Many, many people speak different languages to their children. It's actually the best way for children to be brought up multilingual. It usually doesn't matter what the parents speak to each other, but what they speak to the child. Children have no problem code switching depending on the parent and will just automatically speak to mommy in English and daddy in French (for example).
Yes, if the child is being raised in Canada and one of their parent's native language is English...then learning 1 foreign language is a no brainer. However, if both parents speak in 2 different foreign languages, and the child also needs to learn English...then that's certainly a lot harder for the child to learn 3 languages. Its doable, but not practical for many families.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:54 PM  
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 03-29-2012 at 09:59 PM   #26
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I love that show. It's really shocking and disgraceful in certain situations they have on the show, but sometimes the situations they have aren't shameful like the one you posted. For example this segment on an interracial young couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GrSm...watch_response

It makes me sad to think that some people can be so close minded, though I do understand a lot of it has to do with their upbringing. I don't think that race or ethnicity should be a determining factor in who someone dates, but of course everyone is going to have their own views and preferences. I personally would never rule out dating someone because of their skin colour or background, to me it's just absurd and has nothing to do with who someone is as a person.
Old 03-29-2012 at 10:11 PM   #27
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Exactly. Because it shouldn't matter where you're from when love's involved. It's like that movie - "Interracial Hole Stretchers 2" - she was white; they were black. But it didn't matter in the end, did it? Because they were in love.
This. Well said
Old 03-29-2012 at 10:16 PM   #28
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomchock View Post
my parents would prefer if i married/dated/copulated with another polak, just to keep the blood pure(thanks hitler for giving that a bad meaning) and so their grandkids could have a higher possibility of speaking the language

plus, slavic/EE girls are super good looking
Lmao, same.
"MARRY A NICE POLISH BOY and pass on the language, traditions & religion"
Easy for her to say, she didn't see the tools I went to Polish school with. -__-

but they seem to be okay with me dating a non polish-speaking guy (he is a quarter polish! xD). As long as Im happy, they're happy.

Although they definitely do still have stereotypes/beliefs about certain people and they sure as hell arent afraid to voice them. D:

Last edited by xo.monica : 03-29-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2012 at 10:20 PM   #29
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
I don't think people should use the basis of race when choosing a significant other. In the end its all about the connection the people have for each other. Why would you force yourself to marry the same race as you are just because of your race. There are more things to take into consideration besides a persons race.

Sometimes its the culture of the person is what matters more than the race. I have friends who are non-caucasian who grew up here in Canada and feel more connected with the Canadian culture than the culture of their race. Therefore, they themselves prefer hanging out with people who associate more with the Canadian culture because there is a common connection, and is not purely based on race.

I also have a friend who is white but was born and grew up in Kenya. She associates more with the Kenyan culture. She told me that she feels more herself when she hangs out with people who have more connection with the Kenyan culture. She told me that even if her parents were white Canadian, she still feels more Kenyan and prefers marrying someone who feels connected with the Kenyan culture. She said she does find it hard to connect with her Canadian cousins.

So in the end its all about connection and mutual understanding. Its not about the race of the person. That's just my opinion.
very well said. I just realized even though I'm not white, I'm Canadian as sh*t, I only go through the motions with my family b/c I care about them, and even that is minimal, my parents both talk to me in english most of the time.