MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinion could get you a free iPad Daily News General Discussion 1 02-07-2011 11:10 AM
Proud Hamilton Hunt - Win an iPad! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-16-2010 10:01 AM
Apple launched the iPad stevennevets Computers & Tech 105 01-29-2010 02:28 PM

iPad 2

Old 03-03-2011 at 02:11 AM   #16
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
A variety of things that aren't going to happen anytime soon:

Wireless syncing
An Accessible File System
No Need for iTunes
USB/SD Slot
Any non-jailbroken alternative to the App store
Better stand (The new one looks better than the last gen one, but I'm still skeptical it'd be easily usable to take notes on a school desk)

If the iPad added those things for $500 I'd be in heaven. The iPad still looks like it'd be a great entertainment device, but I need it to take over the role of my netbook as well if I get it.
I was going to say that most of those concerns can be rectify until I saw you don't like jailbreaking your device.

Having iOS devices, I have to admit that I would never enjoy them as much if I could not jailbreak them. The procedure for it is quite safe and easy though. As such I'm curious to why are you afraid of jailbreaking it?
Old 03-03-2011 at 02:15 AM   #17
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
I was going to say that most of those concerns can be rectify until I saw you don't like jailbreaking your device.

Having iOS devices, I have to admit that I would never enjoy them as much if I could not jailbreak them. The procedure for it is quite safe and easy though. As such I'm curious to why are you afraid of jailbreaking it?
My phone is Jailbroken, but I consider having to hack your device to get it working the way you want a design failure and It's partially why I currently have no intention of upgrading to another iPhone once my contract is up.
Old 03-03-2011 at 02:27 AM   #18
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
My phone is Jailbroken, but I consider having to hack your device to get it working the way you want a design failure and It's partially why I currently have no intention of upgrading to another iPhone once my contract is up.
I agree with your reason. At the same time, I have always tweaked my phones by hacking it. Having such a large community and support (for the iOS) actually make me enjoy it even more.

How do you feel about Android users having to root their phones in order to receive new upgrades?
Old 03-03-2011 at 08:03 AM   #19
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
A variety of things that aren't going to happen anytime soon:

Wireless syncing
An Accessible File System
No Need for iTunes
USB/SD Slot
Any non-jailbroken alternative to the App store
Better stand (The new one looks better than the last gen one, but I'm still skeptical it'd be easily usable to take notes on a school desk)

If the iPad added those things for $500 I'd be in heaven. The iPad still looks like it'd be a great entertainment device, but I need it to take over the role of my netbook as well if I get it.
Wireless Syncing and Accessible File System can easily be obtained by jail-breaking the phone. I know some people are skeptical about it but it is as safe as can be and nothing wrong with it.

ITunes will always be a factor, mostly cause that is what apple is doing on its part against Piracy. And tbh it has been very useful to me managing my information and the fact that it takes my music and organizes it on my HD by artist is amazing! lol

USB/SD Slot? Loook how thin that is! Putting a slot in there would most deff mean thinker ipad and i think the size it a big thing here.

I personally dont see my self buying one cause its not pratical to me, i have my laptop and iphone every way i go! It would have been nice to see an higher resolution screen on there though.
Its a nice look into what the new iphone will have.

It would be awesome to see apple to come out with a Macbook air/ipad combination! That would deff be a nice replacement for laptops :$

Quote:
I agree with your reason. At the same time, I have always tweaked my phones by hacking it. Having such a large community and support (for the iOS) actually make me enjoy it even more.

How do you feel about Android users having to root their phones in order to receive new upgrades?
I totally agree, it would have been nice to have those things without hacking the phone. Its amazing what you can do with Cydia.

EDIT : Im not against apple having done this though, i can completely see why they wouldnt allow any of this on a non jailbroken phones/ipad

Last edited by Crzyrio : 03-03-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2011 at 08:25 AM   #20
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Apple protect its system because it want profit. Its nice though having its so protective because malwares tend to be filtered out.

Androids recently had a bunch of malwares in its Market. Google had to pull them out of the store after discovering it.

http://mashable.com/2011/03/01/android-malware-apps/

A bunch of negatives thing can be said for Apple overly protective nature too I suppose.
Old 03-03-2011 at 08:36 AM   #21
Crzyrio
Elite Member

If you look at apple products, it just works and gives ppl nothing to worry about. A lot of people dont know want all the bells and whistles and to be able to root your phone and apple caters to them. As much as a pain it is for ppl like us who like to do all the modifications, i personally love what jailbreaking has done for my phone --->
Again i can see why people hate the security and i dont blame em.

Pic not working --> http://img138.imageshack.us/i/photouw.png/
Old 03-04-2011 at 12:55 PM   #22
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Conan did a parody of the commercial. Quite good.

If the video is down use Engaget.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/c...otional-video/

Last edited by PHLN : 03-04-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Andrew A, icecubz, lawleypop like this.
Old 03-04-2011 at 03:24 PM   #23
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

The iPad 2 is a minor upgrade, not anything revolutionary. All they did was upgrade the hardware. In fact the coolest thing about the entire device is the new cover.
4 things are needed before i buy one:
-A (wacom preferably) digitizer + academic software package
-A micro-usb (like all smart phones are going to) port for connection to a PC and printer support
-A viewable file system. I just really like drag and drop and refuse to get any device without it, even if easily available with a hack.
-True multitasking

Flash support is not needed but its pathetic apple has yet to implement it. I would rather wait until Windows8 tablet edition comes out around Q4 2012.
Old 03-04-2011 at 03:29 PM   #24
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i still think the ipad is the worst idea ever. the only people who need to use it are seniors to promote computer usage

Mepper likes this.
Old 03-04-2011 at 03:38 PM   #25
Mepper

Liked: 71 Times

Sooo...uhhh.. people actually pay $500 for this thing?!
Old 03-04-2011 at 03:48 PM   #26
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
Sooo...uhhh.. people actually pay $500 for this thing?!
The only person I know with one uses it as a replacement for a laptop, since he only really wants web-browsing, email, and other basics. It's cheap in that sense, but I can't imagine a reason for anyone who already has a laptop to buy an iPad(outside of angry birds..)
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:06 PM   #27
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
The only person I know with one uses it as a replacement for a laptop, since he only really wants web-browsing, email, and other basics. It's cheap in that sense, but I can't imagine a reason for anyone who already has a laptop to buy an iPad(outside of angry birds..)
Ya, I would certainly consider getting a slate tablet in a few years when I need to replace my laptop. Then I would consider a (Probably win8 or bbOS) tablet along with a powerful desktop. Now, however, I cant see paying that kind of money for an oversized ipod touch.
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:41 PM   #28
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
The iPad 2 is a minor upgrade, not anything revolutionary. All they did was upgrade the hardware. In fact the coolest thing about the entire device is the new cover.
4 things are needed before i buy one:
-A (wacom preferably) digitizer + academic software package
-A micro-usb (like all smart phones are going to) port for connection to a PC and printer support
-A viewable file system. I just really like drag and drop and refuse to get any device without it, even if easily available with a hack.
-True multitasking

Flash support is not needed but its pathetic apple has yet to implement it. I would rather wait until Windows8 tablet edition comes out around Q4 2012.
I dont mean to sound like a Fanboy! But a minor upgrade? What more do you want from something that is less than 9mm thick and weighs less than 1.5lbs! The performance upgrade it self is awesome, not to mention 2 camera's.

People dont understand that, this is the release of the hardware. The cool, fun and 'innovative' stuff will come in the summer some time with the release of iOS 5.

the Ipad is deff not a laptop replacement! Not even close. It is meant for people travelling a lot, to enjoy movies games and do basic computing. As for the usb slot, i dont own one and doubt one will be put in an ipad ever! Dropbox and mobile me and other things like that is where its gonna go, i have a folder on my desktop that gets synced to my online account and is available on my phone every where i go.

To Each is own! But i would much rather get an ipad than any of the other tablets if i were to ever get one.

I do find it every annoying that Apple waits for competition/other devs before putting out new updates. A lot of the stuff available on a jailbroken ipad/ipod/iphone should be already implemented into the os >.<