Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipad 2 olive General Discussion 8 07-23-2011 05:14 PM
iPad 2 PHLN Computers & Tech 24 03-04-2011 04:41 PM
Apple launched the iPad stevennevets Computers & Tech 105 01-29-2010 02:28 PM

iPad 3 overheating?

Old 04-02-2012 at 06:47 PM   #1
ychen

Liked: 0 Times

I've heard that iPad 3 has a problem of overheating. Is there any one having the problem?

How long for charging battery of a iPad 3?

Does iPad 3 has weak Wi-Fi capability?

I would buy a new iPad. What model should I buy? iPad 2 or Ipad 3? What do you think?

Last edited by jhan523 : 04-02-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2012 at 09:57 PM   #2
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

iPad 3 obviously. The heat is a non-issue. It runs just as hot as any other tablet.

http://news.consumerreports. org/el...t-ratings.html
Old 04-03-2012 at 12:42 AM   #3
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Id personally go for the new one, i believe there is only 100$ difference and you get a much better screen
Old 04-03-2012 at 09:54 AM   #4
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

not even close to worth it getting an ipad3. Might as well get the Asus Transformer Prime for the same price.
Old 04-03-2012 at 10:18 AM   #5
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
not even close to worth it getting an ipad3. Might as well get the Asus Transformer Prime for the same price.
The op is choosing between an iPad 2 and iPad 3.

The Asus Transformer Prime and the iPad 3 are fairly equivalent so I am not sure why the iPad 3 is 'not worth it'. The only major difference is the OS, which comes down to personal preference.
Old 04-03-2012 at 01:05 PM   #6
Crusade
Account Disabled by User

The iPad 3 is a dual-core with a quad-core graphics A5X processor. the Transformer Prime is a Quad-Core Tablet with a companion core, making it an overall 5 core tablet. The companion core is to consume less power, on things like web-browsing. Sort of like hybrid graphics on laptops. There is a large difference between both devices, and the iPad 2. The iPad 2 is thinner, lighter and is less hot because it only has the A5 chip in it. If you want to game and require HD performance on a tablet, I'd go with the ipad 3. If you have no use for gaming on a tablet, just get the iPad 2, it will serve you better, due to being lighter, cooler, thinner and it can read and do basic things. Android Tablets are superior in functionality as they can be customized, and the keyboard dock is a plus, it adds roughly 8 hours of battery to your usual 10. But I would never need to use a tablet for 18 hours, unless I was too lazy to charge it. The Apple OS/store is more mature than the android app store, and thus there is more things you can do with it, but that gap is lessening as Android becomes more and more sophisticated. I have an iPad 3, I love it, it is the most powerful tablet overall, and it has the apps to back it up. It only runs hot because of its quad-core graphics chip.
Old 04-03-2012 at 01:09 PM   #7
Crusade
Account Disabled by User

For your original question, google them they're fairly easy to answer. Wi-Fi capability is like any other laptop or mobile device, and charging the battery will take on an order of 3 - 5 hours, depending on the energy density and voltage output on your charger. My ipad 3 takes about 2 - 3 hours to charge its full 10 hour charge, with the original wall-socket adapter.
Old 04-03-2012 at 01:33 PM   #8
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I found apple products drop quickly in price when the new one comes out. unless you care about the small details (you HAVE to have a slightly better screen) then id stick with the ipad 2.
Old 04-03-2012 at 03:42 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

check out each of the ipad first! reports suggest that a large number of customers in store were unable to tell the difference between the screens of the ipad2 and ipad3 when there was no markings to suggest the ipad 3 was the ipad2..including a CNET reviewer who claimed the screen was by far the best thing he had ever seen when he was in fact given an ipad2.

Some notice the difference and some do not. As you will likely be using it as a textbook reader, I would check to see if the screen makes any difference to you. Excluding the screen, the iPad3 is actually inferior in most cases to the ipad2 and quite a bit more expensive now.
Old 04-03-2012 at 05:08 PM   #10
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
check out each of the ipad first! reports suggest that a large number of customers in store were unable to tell the difference between the screens of the ipad2 and ipad3 when there was no markings to suggest the ipad 3 was the ipad2..including a CNET reviewer who claimed the screen was by far the best thing he had ever seen when he was in fact given an ipad2.

Some notice the difference and some do not. As you will likely be using it as a textbook reader, I would check to see if the screen makes any difference to you. Excluding the screen, the iPad3 is actually inferior in most cases to the ipad2 and quite a bit more expensive now.
What reports? Every review I have read, the baseline has been, "Wait until you see the screen..." Sources?

Also, more than just the screen was updated. Why would you not get the newest one?
Old 04-03-2012 at 05:26 PM   #11
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

kill it with fire!
Old 04-03-2012 at 05:59 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
...Why would you not get the newest one?
Because 'replacement culture' and 'continuously keeping up with the current tech' is unnecessarily expensive, causing wars, desparaging people, and killing the planet?

giftedchick, muons like this.
Old 04-03-2012 at 06:25 PM   #13
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
What reports? Every review I have read, the baseline has been, "Wait until you see the screen..." Sources?

Also, more than just the screen was updated. Why would you not get the newest one?
here is one source. Cant find the other ones i read.
Also keep in mind im talking about being tricked into thinking it was the ipad3, not the 2. Apples marketing reigns supreme.

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...898212.st ory

Basically the new screen has such a high resolution that the eye, at a distance, cant really tell the difference. If you compare it to most of the 720p tablet screens or a 1080p screen you will likely not be able to tell the difference at all. If reading a book on amazon's app (one of the few apps to support the new resolution) then there is a noticeable difference if you get extremely close or zoom in a lot. The ipad2 has a lower res screen than a lot of android tablets so the difference will be more noticeable, but is it worth $100 more? Thats up to you.

By the way, apple had 2 choices when changing their resolution: double or quadruple. They cant just choose an random resolution that fits their screen type because the iOS code does not allow for anything but hard coding a *2 multiplier.

As for difference in features:
Assuming you are getting a 16gb wifi only model (not the 4g, which is a significant improvement) then the major hardware differences include:
*better display
-slightly better processor
-much better GPU
-larger battery
*1gb ram instead of 512mb
*far superior camera (but on par or inferior to most android competition)

the "*" items make a difference. The display is up to you. Its the major selling feature and you need to check it out yourself before buying. The extra ram will "futureproof" your investment and make it smoother in future when you have clunkier apps running on it. The camera is far better than on the ipad2. However I have yet to take a picture on my tablet. It feels ridiculous and seems pointless with my superior phone camera.

The processor is better but only by a little bit. The major upgrade is the GPU which is the best on any mobile device. So how does that translate to performance? Zero difference. That GPU has to power the super high resolution of the new screen which gives it the same performance (roughly) as the ipad2 gpu on a lower Res screen. This is the same with the larger battery. Battery life is the same or slightly worse than the ipad2.

Some other things to consider:
-ipad3 is heavier and thicker than the ipad2.
-it takes longer to charge
-it runs warmer, although within acceptable temps. (warmth=greater battery wear though)
-some apps look horrible on the high res screen although this will be fixed quickly
-its $100 more

-there are other tablets powered by android. Ive attempted to keep all comparisons between ipads but other tablets exist. The asus transformer prime is currently the best android tablet although a new High-Res-screen version is about to come out. There is also the new galaxy note tab 10 which has an active digitizer making note taking MUCH easier. Finally google is rumoured to be releasing a Nexus tablet with VERY good specs for approx $200 but it will likely be 7 inches.

If you want apple your safest bet is probably the new ipad but if you are strapped for cash then the ipad 2 is certainly not much worse.
Old 04-04-2012 at 01:27 AM   #14
zango
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Because 'replacement culture' and 'continuously keeping up with the current tech' is unnecessarily expensive, causing wars, desparaging people, and killing the planet?
Did you read the original post? He's deciding to either buy the iPad 2or iPad 3, not upgrade from 2 to 3. Would you rather buy a computer built last year or this year? Don't be naive.

Also, much better gpu = not a big deal? What world do you live in lol, my graphics card was the most expensive part of my pc.

Also the cpu which you say is slightly better is actually the same cpu as in the iPad 2. So no, its exactly the same.
Old 04-04-2012 at 08:46 AM   #15
qwerty91
Elite Member

Quote:
Also, much better gpu = not a big deal? What world do you live in lol, my graphics card was the most expensive part of my pc.

Also the cpu which you say is slightly better is actually the same cpu as in the iPad 2. So no, its exactly the same.
I didnt say the graphic improvement is not important. I said performance, both day to day and gaming, will be completely negligible because the card has to pump out 4 times the resolution. That means just to have the same performance as the ipad2 it needs to be well over 4 times as powerful. Try plugging a 2560 by 1440 monitor into your expensive graphics card. You will find you will get about 60% FPS (or less) that you would on a 1080p screen.

Also I said "slightly better" for the processor because benchmarks seem to indicate it is slightly better, although by a very small amount, hence the reason I said it was not important. I believe, while the exact same architecture, the a5x processor is a die shrink of the a5 which would give it the slight advantage.