MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-04-2011 at 11:11 PM   #31
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

So have anyone asked Siri : "When is Ice Cream Sandwich gonna be available" yet?

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-05-2011 at 01:04 AM   #32
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

I feel Apple stuck to the policy: Why change what works? The iPhone 4 design worked for them. Except the antennagate problem which they have supposedly fixed with dual antennas in the 4S. iPhone 4, when it came out, had the same reception from general public. They said they didn't like the design, yet they bought one even with the antennagate problem. iPhone 4 became the most successful iPhone ever. And same was the case with iPads. I have always felt, Apple products are always underestimated in the beginning and very few realize how powerful it is. And of course, there are the Apple Haters, who would hate it no matter what. Even when they know for a fact that a Samsung phone won't last close to as long as an iPhone.

P.S.: I was an Apple hater until a few months ago. Just got to terms with reality and became an Apple fan boy.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 10-05-2011 at 01:34 AM   #33
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Don't worry, posers. If you want people to know you own an iPhone 4S not the iPhone 4, just talk to Siri loudly on the HSR Bus or While conversating with your peers where you can record reminders of meetings and while you are on campus , ask your iphone 4s "find nearest tim hortons" even though you know its in the student centre, finally end your day with asking your iphone 4s if you are going to be forever alone

Afzal, Krusenik, mally, RyanC like this.
Old 10-05-2011 at 01:39 AM   #34
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

meh nothing that great
Old 10-05-2011 at 05:51 AM   #35
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Zango's reason is exactly why I said that. I had an iPhone for 2 and a half years and the only time I ever ran into a problem via not having flash was over a year ago when I tried to access a restaurant website with a flash interface (It was later updated to HTML). As an iPhone user, you'll almost never notice the lack of flash, and the flash performance on mobiles is currently bad enough that even the few current use cases aren't great.
The Flash is perfectly fine on my phone. >_>
Old 10-05-2011 at 07:54 AM   #36
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

The Flash is perfectly fine on my iPhone. I dunno what you guys are talking about

Old 10-05-2011 at 09:56 AM   #37
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

I still don't understand what everyone is pissed about. The A5 processor is a beast, my iPhone 4 is blazing fast with iOS 4.3 and an A4. With the A5 and iOS 5.0, I can't even imagine how much smoother the phone will work. Sometimes I see smart phones where the operating system struggles, why? Because its a general operating system, put on several different phones, all with different specs. Why are there more apps on the apple app store? Look up fragmentation on android. Apple has their problems, but so does every other phone.

The iPhone 4S is definitely in the top 5 phones you can get. Yes the Nexus Prime sounds like its going to be good, but rumours are rumours, lets just wait before we bash the iPhone 4S with only rumours of another phone that MIGHT be better.
Old 10-05-2011 at 10:32 AM   #38
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
I still don't understand what everyone is pissed about. The A5 processor is a beast, my iPhone 4 is blazing fast with iOS 4.3 and an A4. With the A5 and iOS 5.0, I can't even imagine how much smoother the phone will work. Sometimes I see smart phones where the operating system struggles, why? Because its a general operating system, put on several different phones, all with different specs. Why are there more apps on the apple app store? Look up fragmentation on android. Apple has their problems, but so does every other phone.

The iPhone 4S is definitely in the top 5 phones you can get. Yes the Nexus Prime sounds like its going to be good, but rumours are rumours, lets just wait before we bash the iPhone 4S with only rumours of another phone that MIGHT be better.
You can apply the same logic to the MacBook (Pro). The hardware, and software coming from one company is a win.
Old 10-05-2011 at 11:41 AM   #39
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
You can apply the same logic to the MacBook (Pro). The hardware, and software coming from one company is a win.
Wrong. It's a win when the consumer has the freedom to choose the hardware and software combination. Why do you think so many people jailbreak/root their phones?

This is why there are already rumors that Siri will be ported to the iPhone 4, as Apple wants to restrict it to only the 4S.

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-05-2011 at 11:45 AM   #40
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Wrong. It's a win when the consumer has the freedom to choose the hardware and software combination. Why do you think so many people jailbreak/root their phones?

This is why there are already rumors that Siri will be ported to the iPhone 4, as Apple wants to restrict it to only the 4S.
There's a trade-off between that freedom and performance, Just because someone else values performance over freedom doesn't mean they're wrong.
Old 10-05-2011 at 05:44 PM   #41
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post

Apple may have LESS options, but you can still choose between several models of laptops with different parts inside. Just like any other laptop (dell or HP, you can choose from standard models) you don't build your own laptop.
Old 10-06-2011 at 08:51 AM   #42
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I feel like the expectation were so high that it would have been a 'disappointment' anyway.

The 4S is on par if not better than other phones spec wise. The iPhone 4 was already the thinnest phone on the market and ran amazingly smoothly.

Now it has an A5 and the ram has probably been bumped pass 512, not that it really needs it. Don't forget the huge step taking by Apple with Siri.

FACT : In the future hardware is hardly gonna matter to the consumer, people are more going to be looking at software, features, stability and all round customer experience.

Why do people think the iPhone 4S is not good?

Yogurt likes this.
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:28 AM   #43
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
I feel like the expectation were so high that it would have been a 'disappointment' anyway.

The 4S is on par if not better than other phones spec wise. The iPhone 4 was already the thinnest phone on the market and ran amazingly smoothly.

Now it has an A5 and the ram has probably been bumped pass 512, not that it really needs it. Don't forget the huge step taking by Apple with Siri.

FACT : In the future hardware is hardly gonna matter to the consumer, people are more going to be looking at software, features, stability and all round customer experience.

Why do people think the iPhone 4S is not good?
That's not true, there are a lot of phones on the market that are thinner. The Galaxy II S is one example (8.49mm versus 9.3 for the iPhone).

I think the general issue that people have is that it wasn't a big change. Apple has done this before (going from the 3G to the 3GS) so it should've been expected but still, it's disappointing to not get a big change.

Also, I think your "fact" is way off. There will always be demand for greater hardware. People always want better and faster components, especially when ever-improving software demands more power.

It really comes down to Apple's style. They're known for revolutionary changes (the slogan for the iPhone 4 was "This Changes Everything...Again") and because of that they're going to be held accountable when they don't deliver on those claims. Whether or not you agree with the necessity of those changes is your personal preference but Apple has always been known for change and eventually (most likely next year) there will be an iPhone (5?) that exemplifies that style.

Last edited by RememberTwce : 10-06-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Afzal, Allan like this.
Old 10-06-2011 at 09:58 AM   #44
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
That's not true, there are a lot of phones on the market that are thinner. The Galaxy II S is one example (8.49mm versus 9.3 for the iPhone).

I think the general issue that people have is that it wasn't a big change. Apple has done this before (going from the 3G to the 3GS) so it should've been expected but still, it's disappointing to not get a big change.

Also, I think your "fact" is way off. There will always be demand for greater hardware. People always want better and faster components, especially when ever-improving software demands more power.

It really comes down to Apple's style. They're known for revolutionary changes (the slogan for the iPhone 4 was "This Changes Everything...Again") and because of that they're going to be held accountable when they don't deliver on those claims. Whether or not you agree with the necessity of those changes is your personal preference but Apple has always been known for change and eventually (most likely next year) there will be an iPhone (5?) that exemplifies that style.
http://www.idownloadblog.com /2011/...ne-4-thinnest/ <-- Courts ruled that the iPhone is still the thinnest . The bump on the Galaxy 2S makes it come in 2nd, nice try by Samsung. Although it is looking like the Nexus Prime might actually become the new thinnest phone.

Don't get me wrong, yes there will be demand for hardware as the software gets more complicated but what i meant was, the general public is going to slowly start looking more at the software than the hardware. At the end of the day the general public just care their phone being smooth and doing what they expect it to, they could care less if its a penta core or a single core. The A5 processor is more than likely underclocked to around 800MHz but it still runs iOS very smoothly. People will eventually realize hardware isn't everything

Yeah i agree people expect Apple to 'Change' things but i feel like people don't see how big SIRI really is. Apple did make a huge change in the way we interact with our phone. Why do people want a design change anyways?

Last edited by Crzyrio : 10-06-2011 at 10:04 AM.

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 10-06-2011 at 10:06 AM   #45
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
http://www.idownloadblog.com /2011/...ne-4-thinnest/ <-- Courts ruled that the iPhone is still the thinnest . The bump on the Galaxy 2S makes it come in 2nd.

Don't get me wrong, yes there will be demand for hardware as the software gets more complicated but what i meant was, the general public is going to slowly start looking more at the software than the hardware. At the end of the day the general public just care their phone being smooth and doing what they expect it to, they could care less if its a penta core or a single core. The A5 processor is more than likely underclocked to around 800MHz but it still runs iOS very smoothly. People will eventually realize hardware isn't everything

A lot of the people will still be buying the iPhone 4 because it simply still runs smooth as ever, even with iOS 5. Yeah i agree people expect Apple to 'Change' things but i feel like people don't see how big SIRI really is. Apple did make a huge change in the way we interact with our phone. Why do people want a design change anyways?
Good link, guess I was wrong.

I agree with your view on software being important and it might relate to why people see the new iPhone as disappointing. The design itself is great but because it's the same, the only change noticeable to an average person is SIRI. So for most people, the iPhone will feel the same, look the same and operate the same (despite being faster because of better parts).

That's what I see as the reason for the disappointment. People waited to get a new iPhone but instead got a better version of the old one. Thankfully Apple has the decency to call it the 4S and not the iPhone 5, so people can't be too mad at them.