MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting Clothes: Halloween Costume lawleypop General Discussion 12 10-29-2010 07:13 PM
Good clothes Store nearby? bloodywarz General Discussion 21 10-09-2010 11:58 PM
Where to buy engineering clothes REPLEKIA/. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-26-2010 02:11 AM
IRC Anything But Clothes Party ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 2 03-05-2009 08:28 PM

Ironing our clothes

Old 07-17-2011 at 03:49 PM   #1
Nuelonas

Liked: 5 Times

Ironing our clothes
Hey i was wondering how can we iron our clothes. Like are there any ironing machines in Bates ? or should we buy one
Old 07-17-2011 at 03:55 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

There are irons in every laundry room; I would not recommend purchasing an iron because then you're tempted to use it in your room and it's way too easy to accidently leave it burning.

Due to the high number of fire hazards and other accidents on residence these past few years, I do not believe any devices with a heating element are permitted (e.g. irons, rice cookers, etc)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-17-2011 at 03:55 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

There's usually a few clothing irons in the laundry room(s) in each building so you don't need to bring you're own !
Old 07-17-2011 at 03:56 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
There are irons in every laundry room; I would not recommend purchasing an iron because then you're tempted to use it in your room and it's way too easy to accidently leave it burning.
Lol? Just be careful... using that same logic you should never use an iron at home.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 04:45 PM   #5
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Honestly I hate the rez rules do this dont do this ... god

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 07-17-2011 at 04:55 PM   #6
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

Who has time to iron? Just stack your clothes under a Life On Earth 5th Edition hardback, and i guarantee you won't have to bother with machines. And for situations on the go, just use the hand-iron!

AdelaisAer says thanks to MCMashetty for this post.

*spark* likes this.
Old 07-17-2011 at 05:20 PM   #7
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Ironing clothes?

Old 07-17-2011 at 06:06 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Lol? Just be careful... using that same logic you should never use an iron at home.
You don't agree not to bring in heating elements at home; you do on residence.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-17-2011 at 06:59 PM   #9
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

oh please ur telling an azn not bring and use a rice cooker. lol ya right rice cookers should be fine (prob against the "rules" still did it)
Old 07-17-2011 at 08:01 PM   #10
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Former Bates resident here. There are 2 irons in the basement laundry room that are connected to the wall by metal wiring. They're pretty decent, they do the steam blasting and everything, though I wish I could say the same of the rickety old ironing boards. They hardly see any use and are almost always available so there is no need for you to bring an iron.

But seeing as you are going to bates I'll throw down a few suggestions of things that you can bring that you are not supplied with that you might appreciate having:

-A fan, the AC sucks and the heating is overpowered, so it is useful year round.

-pots/pans/dishes/coffee maker/utensils/toaster/etc. You do have a kitchen but it only comes with a fridge and an electric stove/oven. Everything else is supplied by you.

-TV/coax cable for the common area. You have some okay cable in the building

-foam padding for the bed if you prefer a softer bed. Your bed is a fairly hard mattress with no box spring on a wooden frame that has convenient drawers in it. If you have the habit of flopping on to your bed at the end of the day you will lose it fast as the bed is nowhere near as squishy as you are used to.

-toilet paper/toiletries

-clothes hangers, your closet has a single shelf and a rod for hangers, to make the most use of your limited space bring some hangers.
Old 07-17-2011 at 08:19 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
You don't agree not to bring in heating elements at home; you do on residence.
Yes but that is only because the res is shared with many more students.

If you're careful about it (which I assume you are if you really want to iron your clothes that bad...) Im sure you can get an exception.
Old 07-17-2011 at 11:17 PM   #12
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Never ironed my clothes in rez.
Old 07-17-2011 at 11:34 PM   #13
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuelonas View Post
Hey i was wondering how can we iron our clothes. Like are there any ironing machines in Bates ? or should we buy one
an iron ?
Old 07-18-2011 at 01:48 AM   #14
Nuelonas

Liked: 5 Times

Thanks everyone
Old 09-06-2011 at 11:10 AM   #15
mizo

Liked: 0 Times

Absolutely, in the basement you will find, iron board and irons.