Welcome Day Coming Soon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-13-2010 01:35 PM
USS Coming to Mac ageless_12 General Discussion 2 01-23-2009 09:30 PM
Heating? When is it coming kenvin100 Residence & Housing 12 09-18-2008 05:04 PM

It's coming...

Old 08-24-2009 at 08:56 PM   #30
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
What it gains in a club-like atmosphere, it loses in a pub-like atmosphere.

Quarters + Club - Pub = Same old crappy logo.

I dunno, I guess I kinda like the design...but not sure if I'd appreciate it when I'm just going for lunch.

Old 08-24-2009 at 10:41 PM   #31
scott000

Liked: 8 Times
Not a big fan of the bright yellow pillars as mentioned above.. although maybe thats a safety thing so nobody walks into them when its dark on club nights lol.

Aside from the yellow overload, I like the interior... the place seems more classy and elegant.

Having said that, I think we need another campus bar because I think every school needs a Sports Bar and I don't see this as a place where the Marauder logo will be splashed around along with pennants and neon beer signs.

Old 08-24-2009 at 10:57 PM   #32
katesaidhi

Liked: 3 Times
It looks like a mish-mash of Bridges and Thode Library's first floor. Even down to the tiles on the pillars and the awkward heights on the booths.

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:01 PM   #33
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott000 View Post
I think we need another campus bar
I'd prefer that we get adequate study space first (not open floor space eked out in the student centre).

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:02 PM   #34
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katesaidhi View Post
It looks like a mish-mash of Bridges and Thode Library's first floor. Even down to the tiles on the pillars and the awkward heights on the booths.
It is done by the same company(IRA MacDonald) who did Bridges and MDCL and Williams Cafe in HSB. I don't recall correctly but I wouldn't be surprised if they did Thode as well

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:13 PM   #35
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
It is done by the same company(IRA MacDonald) who did Bridges and MDCL and Williams Cafe in HSB. I don't recall correctly but I wouldn't be surprised if they did Thode as well
This seems strangely silly to me. Maybe they should've auctioned the project off to others? cheaper, maybe better

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:17 PM   #37
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
This seems strangely silly to me. Maybe they should've auctioned the project off to others? cheaper, maybe better
Well they did have an open tender. A number of companies did send in their offers. But apparently IRA was the best fit, because of their experience and their contacts within the Hamilton Municipal government which helped lower construction time(Its in more detail on this post http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea... 8#post80088).

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:21 PM   #38
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
are the ppl who work there students?

for example... how wud i go about being a dj or a waiter or something if i wanted to?
Not sure about DJ'ing but for wait and kitchen staff there are job postings periodically on the noticeboards outside 1280. There was one in May If I recall correctly. You can always send your resume to the Manager of course or visit the office!(Its right across the 1280 Door)

But for DJ'ing You'll have to be bloody good and have experience I assume. I mean I do my own amatuer mixes but I don't think I'll have a shot at running 1280!

But lol I am reaaally not sure if they had the best DJ last year. All I heard when passing over Arts Quad on Thursdays was Akon or David Guetta over and over! I think I did vaguely hear some better Trance/House in the latter part of the year though so maybe that guy improved or there was a new DJ!

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:31 PM   #40
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Well they did have an open tender. A number of companies did send in their offers. But apparently IRA was the best fit, because of their experience and their contacts within the Hamilton Municipal government which helped lower construction time(Its in more detail on this post http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?p=8008 8#post80088).
O i c

just seemed like a case of all eggs in same basket

Old 08-24-2009 at 11:40 PM   #41
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
But for DJ'ing You'll have to be bloody good and have experience I assume. I mean I do my own amatuer mixes but I don't think I'll have a shot at running 1280!
Nah I doubt it...it's probably student run / gives students an edge and experience. Just like the radio station...not all of the radio personalities are the greatest, but they're Mac students and get their foot in the door. (:

It's not like it's Sea Lounge or something, haha. Besides...when it comes to DJ's, in my opinion 'underground' DJ's are waaaaay better than the professionals.

It's like the professionals (in general, not always) lose their inspiration and stop having fun with the artform.

Old 08-25-2009 at 08:02 AM   #42
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
I was in 1280 yesterday and it looks AMAZING. These photos in this article don't do it justice AT ALL.

It's very open-concept and has tons of awesome natural light. I'm really looking forward to seeing it at rep kickoff!

finklej, ~*Sara*~ like this.

Old 08-25-2009 at 09:57 AM   #43
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
Don't want to give everything away from the photos that were sent in haha, just a teaser... you'll have to experience it for real come Welcome Week

Old 08-25-2009 at 12:36 PM   #44
viv_ntiri

Liked: 0 Times
hmmm...I like what it looks like now...much better than what the old Quarters looked like (in my opinion). There seems to be a lot more light. Hopefully the service is better this year too.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search