MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros and Cons of Each Residence kokosas Residence & Off-Campus Living 108 06-25-2013 01:19 PM
Help with Unlocking & Jailbreaking iPhone 3G Lifejacket General Discussion 2 10-31-2010 09:14 PM
Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room Mic Mac Residence & Housing 23 03-27-2010 02:37 AM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM

Jailbreaking Iphone 4s Pros and Cons

Old 04-26-2012 at 08:42 PM   #1
chinadian

Liked: 6 Times

Jailbreaking Iphone 4s Pros and Cons
hey I was thinking about jail breaking my 4s and I was wondering if its worth doing so, and if the pros outweight the cons. Please provide some suggestions thanks!
Old 04-26-2012 at 08:49 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Do you like purchasing apps? Or would you rather just prefer having free apps? Would you like some control over how your phone's UI looks like? If you answered no, yes, and yes, you should JB it. Make sure to follow a step by step guide and make sure it is the right .ispw for YOUR phone's model.
Old 04-27-2012 at 12:23 AM   #3
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Pros: you get to customize a lot more about the phone, put in some cool new functionality with a lot of the tweaks available, etc.
Cons: if you install conflicting tweaks or tweaks that are not well tested yet (betas mostly), then it may occasionally crash and go into safe mode until you "respring" it and bring it back out of safe mode. Just a minor inconvenience and easily resolved by just uninstalling the problematic tweak(s).

So yes, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
Old 04-27-2012 at 10:53 AM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Just do it! It opens a whole pool of advantages...

some that may not be apparent now, but will be in the future when ur hooked to the damn thing for 3 years!!!!
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:11 PM   #5
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Related but separate question. Should I root my Samsung Nexus? pros/cons?
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:26 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpatel View Post
There are several websites out there which list the pros and cons of jailbreaking an iOS device and several websites which list the pros and cons of rooting an Android OS device.

Some pros I can think of are:
More customization options: you can totally change the launcher, the skin applied, etc
Apparently some ROMS out there provide better battery life and quicker bug updates than the stock OS devs

Cons:
None really except that in the process of rooting it you may or may not brick your phone due to avoidable reasons.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:26 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadian View Post
hey I was thinking about jail breaking my 4s and I was wondering if its worth doing so, and if the pros outweight the cons. Please provide some suggestions thanks!
The pros of Jailbreaking have become fewer and fewer with each new version of iOS, currently the largest reasons to Jailbreak are piracy, theming, and a few key apps/extensions that aren't in the app store like BiteSMS and LockInfo. The main risks involve causing problems with your phone (i.e. Your phone crashing, burning through the battery quickly, getting caught in a boot loop, etc) which can be annoying/difficult to fix, especially if you're not technically inclined. If you're happy with your phone the way it is and aren't a really technical person, I'd avoid jailbreaking. If not, go ahead.

Quote:
I'm assuming you're talking about the Galaxy Nexus. There's really not much reason to root it outside of using Titanium Backup and AdAway. Everything else you'd want to do, including flashing a custom rom, should be possible without root access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Some pros I can think of are:
More customization options: you can totally change the launcher, the skin applied, etc
Apparently some ROMS out there provide better battery life and quicker bug updates than the stock OS devs
You can do all those things without rooting the phone...
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:38 PM   #8
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

If you have to ask then you probably shouldn't. Jailbreaking is only if you enjoy tinkering with things, and enjoy spending time adding little things here and there that do cool things

The only Jailbreak app worth it imo is Bitesms.

That begin said I am a very **** person when it comes to my iPhone. I notice that millisecond more it takes to open a folder after the jailbreak. I like how iOS is perfectly smooth with not a millisecond of lag and I like it that way
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:44 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The pros of Jailbreaking have become fewer and fewer with each new version of iOS, currently the largest reasons to Jailbreak are piracy, theming, and a few key apps/extensions that aren't in the app store like BiteSMS and LockInfo. The main risks involve causing problems with your phone (i.e. Your phone crashing, burning through the battery quickly, getting caught in a boot loop, etc) which can be annoying/difficult to fix, especially if you're not technically inclined. If you're happy with your phone the way it is and aren't a really technical person, I'd avoid jailbreaking. If not, go ahead.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Galaxy Nexus. There's really not much reason to root it outside of using Titanium Backup and AdAway. Everything else you'd want to do, including flashing a custom rom, should be possible without root access.

You can do all those things without rooting the phone...
I was under the impression you couldn't. A friend told me that, so I just went with that. I just looked into it and yes you're correct. Now I can customize my phone to a certain degree as well. Thanks BJ.
Old 04-27-2012 at 11:49 PM   #10
drpatel

Main reason I'm asking is because I want free apps for my phone lol. And ones that won't kill my data and battery with adware
Or I guess, I could just do that by downloading the apk files yeah?
Old 04-28-2012 at 01:17 AM   #11
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Main reason I'm asking is because I want free apps for my phone lol. And ones that won't kill my data and battery with adware
Or I guess, I could just do that by downloading the apk files yeah?
If you want that then go ahead and Jailbreak it, that is the only way. Install Installous.

I personally believe you should pay for apps you use regularly, although I did at some point download free apps.
Old 04-28-2012 at 05:57 PM   #12
drpatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
If you want that then go ahead and Jailbreak it, that is the only way. Install Installous.

I personally believe you should pay for apps you use regularly, although I did at some point download free apps.
This is for my nexus, not an iPhone. lol
thanks for the advice though